Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Shots fired at University of Texas

  1. #31
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Also to your point about the 2nd amendment. I bring it up in every one of these threads. Columbine, VT, wherever. The fact that we teach our people to be meek in the face of the wolf while trying to punish those of us willing to stand up to evil via dracoinian gun laws, needs to be spoken loudly and often.
    I'm sure that there are also people who think that these deaths can be blamed 100% on our "gun culture" and that a condemnation of it needs to be spoken loudly and often. My point is just that I think it's always a shame when a breaking news thread about a shooting death jumps the curb from a discussion of the incident into an argument over gun politics. I guess it's inevitable, but it always makes me a sad panda for a few minutes.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #32
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm sure that there are also people who think that these deaths can be blamed 100% on our "gun culture" and that a condemnation of it needs to be spoken loudly and often. My point is just that I think it's always a shame when a breaking news thread about a shooting death jumps the curb from a discussion of the incident into an argument over gun politics. I guess it's inevitable, but it always makes me a sad panda for a few minutes.
    I think the nature of certain people who are anti-second is to use any opportunity to grandstand on the issue and hold it up as an example of why their ideology should be adopted. On the other hand though the idea of banning "dangerous weaponry" gets ridiculous once it's started, I remember news stories from Britain on newly proposed knife bans among other things because knife crime went up after the gun bans, well this of course opens the door up to banning anything in reality since the human body is essentially a large assortment of targets. I digress though, it is refreshing to see this story treated with a more appropriate demeanor and the facts being examined without the normal biases.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #33
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,514

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    True story, I should have quoted james' post. My apologies apdst.
    No sweat. Thanks for being a stand-up guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas

    From what my sister tells me, he went and shot a couple of rounds off with a Assault rifle and they thought their were more than one shooter because it was over such a wide spread area he was in I'm just thankful we didn't have another clock tower incident. He was hoping he'd be getting a suicide by cop thing ans he wouldn't have to kill himself. i get my information from my sister friend who was in the basement until 2:00 in the afternoon thankfully no one was hurt other than the shooter.
    Last edited by RyrineaHaruno; 09-28-10 at 08:00 PM.

  5. #35
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas

    The 2nd Amendment - When those guys wrote those documents, people raised their children on farms, not the state raising them in hell-hole projects. Kids had a sense of responsibility at a very early age and did chores. They weren't raised by the reality TV and Oprah... Go read through the hall of fame and then tell me about "Shall issue". There are dumbasses walking the planet today in heretofore unknown numbers. There are a lot of people that should have to get a permit in order to have babies, much less own a weapon.

  6. #36
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    I noticed that, too. Somehow I doubt this guy had an automatic weapon.
    not a legal one given a real AK 47 goes for about the same as a well cared for used BMW or Mercedes



  7. #37
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Lazy... or biased. Why bother making the distinction between auto/semi-auto when 'automatic' sounds that much scarier?
    full automatic fire=suppress movement by the enemy, allow you to maneuver yourself

    semi auto fire-=inflict casualties on the enemy



  8. #38
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas


  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas

    Yes, this was upsetting; stirs up terrible memories for the local old folks who were around for the first UT shooting: the tower sniper Charles Whitman.
    It's sad that this boy is dead; initial reports of today's events were confusing and conflicting, but according to the latest reports I've read, he wasn't trying very hard to kill anyone else.
    He was firing at the ground, in the air, off to the sides of crowds.
    One student peeked out from around a building and says the sniper actually met his eyes and waved; the student said he could see the gunman smile behind his ski mask.

    The gunman- Colton Tooley, age 19- was obviously very disturbed.
    He may have brought the gun to campus with the intention of committing a mass murder.
    But once he got there, something stayed his hand.
    In the end, he injured no one and only killed himself.

    I believe there's a thread someone posted today, entitled "Is there ever a good reason to commit suicide?"
    My answer is "yes".
    If you find yourself on a college campus with a loaded assault rifle and a burning desire to decimate your classmates, that's a very good reason to commit suicide.

    Colton Tooley did a brave thing today. I hope he's found peace, and I'm sure that every parent with a child attending the University of Texas is thanking him in their prayers tonight.

  10. #40
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Shots fired at University of Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I read elsewhere an "ak-47" which means most likley any variant of a semi auto kalishnakov style rifle...


    Hard to shoot oneself with one of those lol, wouldn't be suprised to learn he had a handgun on him as well.
    Or he slipped off a shoe and sock.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •