Page 83 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1288

Thread: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

  1. #821
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,796

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    What do lawyers and bullfrogs have in common? Both have a big head that consists mainly of mouth.

    My laywer friend told me that one.
    that is true for many-you won't ever bother me by bashing attorneys.

    if I had my way they'd close 90% of the law schools-there are way too many attorneys and many of them are a drag on society

    what do you do btw?



  2. #822
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,796

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    Yes, I do see what your trying to say. Lets address them seperate then together. The "Give the money to the wealthy so that they can hire others" was tried and where did that lead us. A gap between the haves and the have nots. It is my experience that the best way for this country to be strong is to have a large middle class. Maybe thats the difference. I want the country to prosper where others seam to only be concerned about themselves.

    New money comment. Its not true for all. I did make a generality. Look at the Gates family. They are new money but look at all of the good they are doing. I have also dealt with people who have old money. They seam to be much more calculated and calm regarding finances. When you make a comment that 450K is not enough to live on and that if taxes go up people are stealing from you then you come off sounding selfesh and uncaring. One out of seven Americans makes less than 20k. Maybe a little gratitude for the go a long way.

    Putting them together: Trickle-down being bunk does not mean that nobody got rich. The number of wealthy people has gone up consistantly over the last two decades. That does not give validation to trickle down.
    no one is GIVING the rich money

    one of the great myths of the left and the faux right



  3. #823
    Educator ender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-11 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    646

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    no one is GIVING the rich money

    one of the great myths of the left and the faux right
    I never claimed that they did. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who takes a chance and opens a business. That is to me the American dream. Far to few people try.

  4. #824
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,796

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    I never claimed that they did. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who takes a chance and opens a business. That is to me the American dream. Far to few people try.
    cool beans-but this place crawls with people who claim that tax cuts are giving the rich money



  5. #825
    Educator ender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-11 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    646

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is true for many-you won't ever bother me by bashing attorneys.

    if I had my way they'd close 90% of the law schools-there are way too many attorneys and many of them are a drag on society

    what do you do btw?
    Well its my distraction to counter your distraction from the topic. My lean is toward Libertarian. I do see why you make the statements you make regarding it. Honestly the leaning has much more to do with civil rights but I do still want the economic side. Unfortunately, the country is going in the wrong direction. I see my statements more about reality and fact than preference. We owe to much and spend to much. There are few choices left other than raising taxes. Thats just a fact not a desire.

    I believe that corp greed has caused much of the issues we have. Freddie, Fannie, Exxon, Monsanto have all let greed lead them to do bad things. The government has been purchased and either helped them or turned a blind eye. It is not a level playing field where everyone has a chance. A lucky few do make it. The rest dont have a chance. If we stopped catering to big business then more Americans can realized the dream.

    What I do: I have a BTB that does marketing and sales. My wife runs that. I work with finance and hospitals. Mostly with business planning and management. I have degrees in business and economics. My spelling is awful. I should have been a doctor.

  6. #826
    Educator ender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-11 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    646

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    cool beans-but this place crawls with people who claim that tax cuts are giving the rich money
    Well I can tell you that working 60 plus hour weeks is hard work.

  7. #827
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    I never claimed that they did....
    You didn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    The "Give the money to the wealthy so that they can hire others" was tried and where did that lead us.
    I can't read too good sometimes, but I don't think I'm misremembering what you said here.

  8. #828
    Educator ender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-11 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    646

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    You didn't?



    I can't read too good sometimes, but I don't think I'm misremembering what you said here.
    So how would you describe trickle down economics?

  9. #829
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    I want the country to prosper where others seam to only be concerned about themselves.
    That's a pretty far-reaching generalization. You assume that my lack of trust in the government and their use of tax dollars necessarily means that I have no concern for others? Since I believe that government welfare programs keep the poor from advancing from their position, can I then say that you are evil and want to keep the poor in their place so that you don't have to compete with them?

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    New money comment. Its not true for all. I did make a generality. Look at the Gates family. They are new money but look at all of the good they are doing. I have also dealt with people who have old money. They seam to be much more calculated and calm regarding finances. When you make a comment that 450K is not enough to live on and that if taxes go up people are stealing from you then you come off sounding selfesh and uncaring. One out of seven Americans makes less than 20k. Maybe a little gratitude for the go a long way.
    I don't have to show gratitude to the government (or to you, for that matter) for my hard work. Maybe that's why you think new money people are bitter, because they don't show gratitude to everyone else for allowing them to work hard. Maybe old money is not bitter about having their wealth taken from them because they either didn't have to work for it in the first place (Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, John McCain), or because they don't have to work for it any more (Bill Gates, Oprah). 1-in-7 Americans making less than 20k means nothing to me. I was working 50-60 hours/week and had a salary of 21,000/year at one time. My parents were the only ones who gave me anything and that pretty much ended when I was 20. Speaking of the Gates family, do you think they are doing more good with their charity work, or with their tax dollars?

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    Putting them together: Trickle-down being bunk does not mean that nobody got rich. The number of wealthy people has gone up consistantly over the last two decades. That does not give validation to trickle down.
    How has the number of wealthy people gone up over the last two decades? People in the middle and lower class provided a good or service to someone who had more money than they did. If not trickle-down, what do you call it?

  10. #830
    Educator ender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-11 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    646

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    That's a pretty far-reaching generalization. You assume that my lack of trust in the government and their use of tax dollars necessarily means that I have no concern for others? Since I believe that government welfare programs keep the poor from advancing from their position, can I then say that you are evil and want to keep the poor in their place so that you don't have to compete with them?
    I do not agree with the current model of our welfare system either.

    The whole "If the tax rate goes up I am leaving the country" statement I beleive justifies my statement regarding the prior statment. Um yeah.

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    I don't have to show gratitude to the government (or to you, for that matter) for my hard work. Maybe that's why you think new money people are bitter, because they don't show gratitude to everyone else for allowing them to work hard. Maybe old money is not bitter about having their wealth taken from them because they either didn't have to work for it in the first place (Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, John McCain), or because they don't have to work for it any more (Bill Gates, Oprah). 1-in-7 Americans making less than 20k means nothing to me. I was working 50-60 hours/week and had a salary of 21,000/year at one time. My parents were the only ones who gave me anything and that pretty much ended when I was 20. Speaking of the Gates family, do you think they are doing more good with their charity work, or with their tax dollars?
    [/QUOTE]
    Good for you for working hard.

    Charity work. I beleive our taxes are not well spent.

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    How has the number of wealthy people gone up over the last two decades? People in the middle and lower class provided a good or service to someone who had more money than they did. If not trickle-down, what do you call it?
    Either that statement is fuzzy or I need to stop drinking my Jack and Coke and go to bed. Maybe its the question marks. I think your answering your question and asking another. While I do agree that there are more wealthy I do not agree that the middle class is stronger under a trickle down economic model. In fact it widens the gap between wealthy and poor. As seen by receint data.

Page 83 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •