Page 80 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 1288

Thread: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

  1. #791
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Doesn't prove that the rich use proportionally more of the "general wealth." This is another subject entirely.
    You said in your post that I responded to that you knew they benefitted more, so now you are changing your stance?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    I mean, the rich do benefit more, but they pay the same proportion of their income, so a higher total amount.
    Someone's never heard of anecdotal evidence. Show me the statistics if you want to prove anything.
    Why don't you show me some evidence that they don't. I at least gave you some credible articles, you haven't provided squat, just deflection.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  2. #792
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what statist nonsense. People have a duty to get looted by greedy politicians?
    And what kind of nonsense would this be? "People have a duty to get looted by greedy corporations, the ultra wealthy and the politicians that coddle them."



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  3. #793
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Ever heard this joke?


    G0d comes to the White House and tells the President that he's going to end the world in 48 hours. The Prez holds a press conference. The newspapers and TV news shows all go with some variation of this headline...

    "G0d says world to end tomorrow.... women, minorities and the poor hardest hit by the news."

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #794
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    And what kind of nonsense would this be? "People have a duty to get looted by greedy corporations, the ultra wealthy and the politicians that coddle them."
    we get the fact you don't do very well in the current system

    blaming corporations for your failure to prosper is lame



  5. #795
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    Ok, but I think you're wrong to assume that ALL big businesses got that way by getting sweetheart deals from the government.
    Not all (I can't claim all with any certainty), but many. And they all benefit from regulations. The solution isn't more government, it's much, much less.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #796
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    You said in your post that I responded to that you knew they benefitted more, so now you are changing your stance?
    A progressive tax rate would require non-direct proportionality. Prove it.

    Why don't you show me some evidence that they don't. I at least gave you some credible articles, you haven't provided squat, just deflection.
    Proving a negative is impossible. Prove your claim.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #797
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,530

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    And what kind of nonsense would this be? "People have a duty to get looted by greedy corporations, the ultra wealthy and the politicians that coddle them."
    No corporation takes your money by force. None.

    The government, however . . .
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #798
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    we get the fact you don't do very well in the current system
    you cite this as fact, counsel. then establish this fact. show us that he does not do well

    blaming corporations for your failure to prosper is lame
    what is your evidence to establish that he does not prosper

    and being unable to provide proof of your "facts", you might do well to ponder this excerpt from the distionary.com definition of projection:
    ... 11. Psychology . a. the tendency to ascribe to another person feelings, thoughts, or attitudes present in oneself, or to regard external reality as embodying such feelings, thoughts, etc., in some way.
    b. Psychoanalysis . such an ascription relieving the ego of a sense of guilt or other intolerable feeling.
    ...
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #799
    Educator ender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-11 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    646

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    He just wants a libertarian that shows arguments in favor of the current system as I usually do against the interventionists, but you don't hold back and you say that you don't defend this system either. It's a perfectly valid position.
    Then please give another solution. The poor dont have any, the middle class is going broke. I want lower taxes for everyone and a government that lets its adult citizens to be free to choose the life they want. But how do we pay back the 13 plus trillion in debt we have.

  10. #800
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the BUffett nonsense has been put to bed

    he pays higher rates of taxes on like income than anyone making less than 250K
    Put some facts out to back up your nonsense.

    Twenty years later, the capital gains tax breaks are back with a vengeance-- the top tax rate on capital gains is 15 percent, less than half the 35 percent top rate on regular income-- and Berkshire Hathaway chairman Warren Buffett is ringing the same bell:
    Last year, Buffett said, he was taxed at 17.7 percent on his taxable income of more than $46 million. His receptionist was taxed at about 30 percent.
    By most accounts, the driving factor behind his super-low tax rate is that virtually all of his income comes in the form of capital gains.

    Talking Taxes: Buffett: The Rich Pay Too Little

    that he structures his income into lower taxed dividend or capital gains means he does pay less than say someone making 600K in salary alone but he still pays the same rate on salary as that other person and more on his salary than his secretary
    What you mean is "he would pay the same" - what you fail to acknowledge is that most wealthy people don't. Not if their earnings mostly come from capital gains.

    he also pays millions in taxes-he sure doesn't use millions in government services
    The government plays an important part in helping him make his riches. Sure, he probably doesn't have to use Medicare, but you're fixed on the social programs alone. I already listed all the benefits people like Buffett derive from our form of government, that you want to deny it just shows thickheadness and unwillingness to give up the nonsense that rich people hoarding more of their money helps you and me and the country. It has been proven wrong.

    They still enjoyed their tax cuts in 2008 and 2009, so where are the jobs that allowing them a lower tax rate brings? Where are the businesses that are supposed to be stirred by their tax cuts. If it wasn't for Obama's recent bill to help small businesses get loans, they wouldn't be able to because banks weren't lending, the rich people are hoarding their money, the only thing they are stimulating is their own bank accounts.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





Page 80 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •