Page 63 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 1288

Thread: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

  1. #621
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    1) If being well educated is a major part of your presidential job requirements then both President Clinton and Presiden Obama should be very well qualified. A masters from harvard and a rhodes scholar. . oh my.

    2) Wouldnt it be nice if someone in office actually DID care.
    their credentials probably made them qualified to teach law school. neither one had done much in terms of the private sector which is rather troublesome.



  2. #622
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    same way state sales tax is collected

    So you want government to collect it...Where is the less government part of your proposal?

  3. #623
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So you want government to collect it...Where is the less government part of your proposal?
    really-so using your confused logic, you think a cash register saying you owe 10 bucks in state sales tax and 15 in federal is more government intrusion than the IRS and having to spend hours figuring out your 1040 and perhaps getting audited by the IRS?>

    geez that's really stupid



  4. #624
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    really-so using your confused logic, you think a cash register saying you owe 10 bucks in state sales tax and 15 in federal is more government intrusion than the IRS and having to spend hours figuring out your 1040 and perhaps getting audited by the IRS?>

    geez that's really stupid

    It certainly is more intrusion on the business

  5. #625
    Educator ender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-11 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    646

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I want less governmental power--a consumption tax takes power away from the government and captures lots of untaxed income

    you did claim to be a libertarian?
    I am a libertarian. If I was king the government would be half the size it is and give me my constitutional righs back. What you confuse is the difference between how we pay the bills we have today and what the government looks like tomorrow. Today we have to find a way to pay the bills. In the future we need to dramaticly cut government spending.

  6. #626
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    It certainly is more intrusion on the business
    they already collect sales taxes. My wife and I ran a business for years that was retail sporting goods. it wasn't that big a hassle-our cash register program gave us monthly reports and we'd send a check to the state tax bureau every month, doing it for the feds would be not much additional work. so it is your opinion that government decreases by having an IRS and making every tax payer fill out a 1040?

    I guess your reply pretty much concedes that I am right and you are wrong.



  7. #627
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Census finds record gap between rich and poor



    Even if the release of this was timed, it's still relevant to the midterms and taxes.

    Now is not the time to give an additional tax break to the wealthy and super-wealthy.
    Or a more radical solution of getting back onto backed currency so inflation doesn't eat up the poor's wealth. Naw that would be too easy.

  8. #628
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    I am a libertarian. If I was king the government would be half the size it is and give me my constitutional righs back. What you confuse is the difference between how we pay the bills we have today and what the government looks like tomorrow. Today we have to find a way to pay the bills. In the future we need to dramaticly cut government spending.
    cutting down the government is always a goal. a tax system that captures lots of illegal income and cuts down on government control on people is a great idea.



  9. #629
    Educator ender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-11 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    646

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    their credentials probably made them qualified to teach law school. neither one had done much in terms of the private sector which is rather troublesome.
    I will have to look but President Obama had something like 20yrs of practicing law. Most of it in public service. I think thats how he met his wife.

    President Clinton served 35years. Again Its going off of memory but I am almost certain it was over 30 years.

  10. #630
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by [LEFT
    TurtleDude[/LEFT];1059038902]they already collect sales taxes. My wife and I ran a business for years that was retail sporting goods. it wasn't that big a hassle-our cash register program gave us monthly reports and we'd send a check to the state tax bureau every month, doing it for the feds would be not much additional work. so it is your opinion that government decreases by having an IRS and making every tax payer fill out a 1040?

    I guess your reply pretty much concedes that I am right and you are wrong.

    I've run a photography business where at times clients were tax exempt and others weren't. I see many problems with your proposal and many rules for business to abide by. And for business' that do
    business
    across state lines it can get even more complicated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •