Page 59 of 129 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1288

Thread: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

  1. #581
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    21,420

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    True, but that doesn't mean all metrics are created equal. There is simple common sense - people with health care have a higher standard of living than people denied it.
    Not if they are generally poorer. A relatively poor man in the US who doesn't have health insurance is probably better off than a relatively rich person in Cuba who does have health coverage.

    People with good schools have a better quality of life than people where education consists of corporate advertising and memorizing multiple-choice tests.
    You have to decide in the end which is more important. Wealth, healthcare, education, nutrition, air quality, etc. We don't know how important these things are relative to each other. No measure can do this. We know how important they are for ourselves. Fact is, quality of life is relative, and there is no good way to compare it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #582
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    186,873

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Phew, an expert on drug cartels, eh. That oughta come in real handy when looking for a job in Ohio. But like you said anyone can "google" and become an "expert" off the internet. However, your true knowledge and understanding was revealed when you omitted the word "is" and confused me with another poster. ROTFLO
    I have a job-you?
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  3. #583
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    186,873

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Deeply flawed methodology. For one thing, measures like per capita GDP and median income become invalid measures when inequality is too extreme - otherwise you could claim that a country with three billionaires and a million starving slaves is prosperous. Secondly, their definition of quality of life practically begs the question: They're basically saying quality of life is a function of how much money you spend, and that's clearly not the case. The United States under-provides basic services for close to half the population, and what the middle-class gets is both more expensive than and beneath the standards of what Northern Europeans expect as a matter of course from their government. The result is poverty. I'm sure Swedes have smaller TVs and less elaborate stereoes than we do, but their children can read, and the quality of their healthcare isn't dictated by how much their employers value them.
    [/QUOTE]

    sounds more likely half the population doesn't work hard enough to get what they want. BTW do you know where the best athletes and rock stars in America live versus Swedish tennis stars and rock singers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  4. #584
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,198

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I have a job-you?
    Yes, I'm an expert in baloney detection which is how I was able to detect your baloney right away.

  5. #585
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,140

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Phew, an expert on drug cartels, eh. That oughta come in real handy when looking for a job in Ohio. But like you said anyone can "google" and become an "expert" off the internet. However, your true knowledge and understanding was revealed when you omitted the word "is" and confused me with another poster. ROTFLO
    What about googling and becoming an expert on the internet? I mean, since we're talking about true knowledge and understanding-n-all.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  6. #586
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    186,873

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Yes, I'm an expert in baloney detection which is how I was able to detect your baloney right away.
    ah another lib who figures the way to beat the big bad turtle is to talk out of their asses. OK moot, whatever you say. You know me better than I do. But I can see why you are an expert on baloney. people tend to be good at knowing themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.

  7. #587
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,140

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    I'm sorry, allow me to stray things back on topic for just a sec and ask: How do the Libbos expect the gap to be closed? Make more poor people rich, or make more rich people poor?
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  8. #588
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 04:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Not if they are generally poorer. A relatively poor man in the US who doesn't have health insurance is probably better off than a relatively rich person in Cuba who does have health coverage.
    Probably true, but then you're talking about quality of life issues that have nothing to do with the policies in question. Free democracies with public health care are generally not poor, and their people do not emigrate in significant numbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    You have to decide in the end which is more important. Wealth, healthcare, education, nutrition, air quality, etc. We don't know how important these things are relative to each other.
    "Wealth" is not a goal in itself for the vast majority of people, it's just a means to the other things. And the United States falls further behind in them the more inequality it accumulates.

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Fact is, quality of life is relative, and there is no good way to compare it.
    There is no good way to compare among similar economies, but it's not rocket science when people are denied basic necessities because their employers don't consider them profitable.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude
    sounds more likely half the population doesn't work hard enough to get what they want.
    They're too busy working hard enough to give the richest 1% what they want, in exchange for less pay and fewer benefits.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude
    BTW do you know where the best athletes and rock stars in America live versus Swedish tennis stars and rock singers.
    Why would I care?
    Last edited by Troubadour; 10-12-10 at 11:08 PM.

  9. #589
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,483

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm sorry, allow me to stray things back on topic for just a sec and ask: How do the Libbos expect the gap to be closed? Make more poor people rich, or make more rich people poor?
    Were going to snatch it from your sorry a** where else do you think we would get it?
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to remain flexible at all times.

    Sen. Everett Dirksen.

  10. #590
    Student JakeFromWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Last Seen
    10-13-10 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    282

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wow a blog from some nobody that no one has heard of-a philosophy major who has no real experience other than whining about the right.

    his opinion is left wing drivel. The top 10% pay most of the taxes so the handouts aren't being paid for by the middle class
    lol. the top ten pay most of the taxes because the top ten make the most money. further more, the top ten are more inclined to find loop holes and tax break for expenses and investments that over all made them more money. lastly, those in the highest bracket are not being "punished" by seeing thier $740,000 income turn into a $400,000 income after taxes. Whats 40% to someone who makes $12,000 a year? Theres a difference between needs, comfort, then excess, and our tax code rightfully recognizes that. It's the same reason bread isn't taxed and booze is overly taxed.
    and so it goes...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •