Page 52 of 129 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 1288

Thread: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

  1. #511
    Student JakeFromWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Last Seen
    10-13-10 @ 05:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    282

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Taxes? ATPT or oedipus or whatever his name is just slandering on. Arguments about topicality about non topical points. Geez, oh so way off the point people. Regular ass ****s are screwed. And it's not because of the government. To quote David Frum -

    "Think back to 1960. The federal government regulated the price of every airfare. It regulated every rail, truck and shipping route. It regulated the price of natural gas. It regulated stockbrokers' commissions. It regulated the interest rates that could be paid on checking accounts. It told most farmers how much they could grow of what commodity. It regulated what kind of political and religious comment could be expressed on the airwaves. And of course it conscripted millions of young men beginning their careers into the armed forces."

    Who regulates now? Our bosses. So many of them take advantage of that power. And who wouldn't? At least the government is representative of us. Or it used to be. Until Obama came in and suddenly and quite magically we as a "Christian Nation" who all of a sudden think mosques are insensitive realized it was much too big.

    I have a point, and its not about big government, taxes, or anything other than pertaining to the original post - can someone please tell me the benefits of a model that on the micro scale looks like this...

    There is a theoretical community where $10,000 exists. Ten people live there and each have $600. Except for one person. He has $4,600. This community makes $2,000 every year as a whole (GDP). So, by the end of the year there will be $12,000 as a whole for the community. Everyone agrees the community generates most of its $2000 annually because of the man with the most money providing services for profit. At the end of the year everyone who worked for this person now has $580 but person number 10 has $6,780. The community made money, but most citizens are worth less than they were last year.

    This is what is happening RIGHT NOW on a massive scale. This is reality. Conservatives need to know what they are talking about instead of changing the subject. They need to ask why "trickle up" couldn't work as well (if not more efficiently) than trickle down. They need to make up their minds as to whether or not Obama is an extreme Christian, or a Muslim. They need to ask how the President can be held responsible for fixing the economy while insisting he have nothing to do with. They need to ask themselves who really is "in poor taste" when it comes to the freedom of a business man to build on property (whatever the hell might be there) he purchased and was approved by the city. And, finally they need to stop arguing that the community model I laid out - the status quo - is somehow OK.
    Last edited by JakeFromWI; 10-06-10 at 05:21 AM. Reason: italicized quote
    and so it goes...

  2. #512
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,123

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't recall claiming you violated a rule.

    so, why your concern that i am posting in this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    since it wasn't applied to you what is your fixation on the subject?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #513
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Ah yes, tradition....my family tree has about a 10 year advantage on yours, and I had planned on beating it by 5 years. Never smoked or drank, no serious genetic issues, only a few pounds over weight, and even my siblings who smoked a long time are relatively healthy. So how did I get chosen to get Parkinson's?[b]
    Just goes to show that all that crap about a healthy lifestyle doesn't guarantee anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #514
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    So much of what you post sounds so uneducated, then you say something that sounds smart. Is your wife helping you?
    My wife? Hell no, she hates the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #515
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Just goes to show that all that crap about a healthy lifestyle doesn't guarantee anything.
    besides, it only adds to the end years of your life, when you are too old to enjoy it....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #516
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    besides, it only adds to the end years of your life, when you are too old to enjoy it....
    Youth is wasted on the young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #517
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,544

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    so, why your concern that i am posting in this thread?
    my goal is to shed light and not to master!



  8. #518
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI View Post
    Taxes? ATPT or oedipus or whatever his name is just slandering on. Arguments about topicality about non topical points. Geez, oh so way off the point people. Regular ass ****s are screwed. And it's not because of the government. To quote David Frum -

    "Think back to 1960. The federal government regulated the price of every airfare. It regulated every rail, truck and shipping route. It regulated the price of natural gas. It regulated stockbrokers' commissions. It regulated the interest rates that could be paid on checking accounts. It told most farmers how much they could grow of what commodity. It regulated what kind of political and religious comment could be expressed on the airwaves. And of course it conscripted millions of young men beginning their careers into the armed forces."

    Who regulates now? Our bosses. So many of them take advantage of that power. And who wouldn't? At least the government is representative of us. Or it used to be. Until Obama came in and suddenly and quite magically we as a "Christian Nation" who all of a sudden think mosques are insensitive realized it was much too big.

    I have a point, and its not about big government, taxes, or anything other than pertaining to the original post - can someone please tell me the benefits of a model that on the micro scale looks like this...

    There is a theoretical community where $10,000 exists. Ten people live there and each have $600. Except for one person. He has $4,600. This community makes $2,000 every year as a whole (GDP). So, by the end of the year there will be $12,000 as a whole for the community. Everyone agrees the community generates most of its $2000 annually because of the man with the most money providing services for profit. At the end of the year everyone who worked for this person now has $580 but person number 10 has $6,780. The community made money, but most citizens are worth less than they were last year.

    This is what is happening RIGHT NOW on a massive scale. This is reality. Conservatives need to know what they are talking about instead of changing the subject. They need to ask why "trickle up" couldn't work as well (if not more efficiently) than trickle down. They need to make up their minds as to whether or not Obama is an extreme Christian, or a Muslim. They need to ask how the President can be held responsible for fixing the economy while insisting he have nothing to do with. They need to ask themselves who really is "in poor taste" when it comes to the freedom of a business man to build on property (whatever the hell might be there) he purchased and was approved by the city. And, finally they need to stop arguing that the community model I laid out - the status quo - is somehow OK.
    Out here in the real, capitalist world, someone is going to come along and compete with that one dude that owns all the wealth and leave the $600 dollar folks with $650 in their pockets at the end of the year. The first guy will have to either match, or surpass that, or close the doors. It's called, "competition".

    The, "community model", that you laid out isn't ok, nor is it ok for the wealth of that one person to be transfered to the government. As it satands, now, there are laws that protect the consumer from big business, but there are no laws that protect the consumer from the government. Ask yourself: what $600 shmeaux, has the resources to take on the government? Who can, "compete", with the government, when the government writes the rule book and has infinite resources? Think about that.
    Last edited by apdst; 10-06-10 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #519
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I can't deny the baby boomers have wreaked havoc on this country. But SS isn't the problem, congress borrowing from SS trust fund is.
    No, SS and especially Medicare are the problems. The "trust fund" balance that has been spent is around $2.5T. The unfunded liabilities of those programs total $100T.

    I feel bad for your generation because paying for the Iraq War is going to be passed onto you and your kids.
    The costs of the Iraq war are minuscule compared to the costs of entitlement programs.

    So if SS survives by the time you retire, you might be glad you have it.
    If I'm relying on SS by the time I retire, something will have gone drastically wrong in my life plan.

    So it's a good thing we have SS then, or else all those seniors would be living in the streets or on welfare. And don't forget, those seniors paid a substantial sum from their paychecks into SS and feel they deserve to get something in return.
    This is circular logic. There are two possible scenarios - people are getting either more or less out of SS than what they put in. If they're getting more out, then they're stealing from future generations in order to fund their lifestyles. If they're getting less out, then they could have avoided welfare and homelessness had they not had 12% of their lifetime earnings taken from them.

    Moreover, SS's problems are nothing compared to Medicare. Medicare spending on old people drastically surpasses whatever those people contributed during their lives. It's high quality care for the elderly being funded by the young.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #520
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI View Post
    I have a point, and its not about big government, taxes, or anything other than pertaining to the original post - can someone please tell me the benefits of a model that on the micro scale looks like this...

    There is a theoretical community where $10,000 exists. Ten people live there and each have $600. Except for one person. He has $4,600. This community makes $2,000 every year as a whole (GDP). So, by the end of the year there will be $12,000 as a whole for the community. Everyone agrees the community generates most of its $2000 annually because of the man with the most money providing services for profit. At the end of the year everyone who worked for this person now has $580 but person number 10 has $6,780. The community made money, but most citizens are worth less than they were last year.

    This is what is happening RIGHT NOW on a massive scale. This is reality. Conservatives need to know what they are talking about instead of changing the subject. They need to ask why "trickle up" couldn't work as well (if not more efficiently) than trickle down. They need to make up their minds as to whether or not Obama is an extreme Christian, or a Muslim. They need to ask how the President can be held responsible for fixing the economy while insisting he have nothing to do with. They need to ask themselves who really is "in poor taste" when it comes to the freedom of a business man to build on property (whatever the hell might be there) he purchased and was approved by the city. And, finally they need to stop arguing that the community model I laid out - the status quo - is somehow OK.
    The first part of your post is wandering around aimlessly, but your example has some interesting tidbits. It sounds like you have 1 person providing services for profit and 9 people sitting on their asses complaining about not having any money. If that's what you mean, then I might agree with you on some level that we do have that going on right now.

    The last part is wandering aimlessly again, but I'll answer your question about trickle up economics. From your example, as stated by you, 1 rich person was responsible for most of the productivity of the community. If the 9 decide they can make their lives easier by banding together and stealing from the 1, they will not be wealthier in the end. The 1 is not motivated by his compassion for the 9 thieves who couldn't be bothered to get off their butts and make their own money. Pretty soon there won't be anybody to steal from.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •