Page 37 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 1288

Thread: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

  1. #361
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,691

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    So the middle class should subsidize these poor rich folks?
    more nonsense-the rich subsidize the middle class massively. I just tire of increasing that subsidy



  2. #362
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't have much use for your attitude that its ok to keep raising taxes on a small minority just as long as they still have more money than you do

    you need to start paying the same tax rate as those you think can handle more and more taxes or you are a hypocrite
    let's look at an example:
    ... The most egregious example is General Electric. Last year the conglomerate generated $10.3 billion in pretax income, but ended up owing nothing to Uncle Sam. In fact, it recorded a tax benefit of $1.1 billion. ...
    GE, Exxon Paid No U.S. Income Taxes in 2009 - ABC News

    here's another:
    ... Exxon tries to limit the tax pain with the help of 20 wholly owned subsidiaries domiciled in the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands that (legally) shelter the cash flow from operations in the likes of Angola, Azerbaijan and Abu Dhabi. No wonder that of $15 billion in income taxes last year, Exxon paid none of it to Uncle Sam, and has tens of billions in earnings permanently reinvested overseas. ...
    [emphasis added by bubba]
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #363
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,691

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    I own shares in GE-I sure as hell paid taxes on income from them. GE has a major operation 10 miles from my home-all of the employees pay taxes on their pay etc.

    but what is your point-this discussion is about jacking up taxes on 2% of the population-a group that already pays almost half the federal income taxes and they certainly do not use anywhere near half of the services paid for by those taxes.



  4. #364
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't have much use for your attitude that its ok to keep raising taxes on a small minority just as long as they still have more money than you do

    you need to start paying the same tax rate as those you think can handle more and more taxes or you are a hypocrite

    I will pay whatever taxes the govt asks of me, always have. Think of it as dues paid for the priviledge of living in such a nice country, with real opportunities for anyone willing to do their share of the work on the road to success.
    Stop your incessant whining, and just pay your taxes.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #365
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let's look at an example:

    GE, Exxon Paid No U.S. Income Taxes in 2009 - ABC News

    here's another: [emphasis added by bubba]
    The answer can be found in the article you linked.
    Those low-tax countries are almost anywhere but the U.S. "When you add in state taxes, the U.S. has the highest tax burden among industrialized countries," says Hodge. In contrast, China's rate is just 25%; Ireland's is 12.5%.
    So reworded, The United States' greedy tax policy has driven corporations to other countries. Only a few reasons exist for companies to stay here in the U.S. many of those are going away. Raising, instead of lowering taxes on corporations will only drive them (and any jobs they provide) to other countries quicker.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 10-01-10 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spellin & punc
    From the ashes.

  6. #366
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The answer can be found in the article you linked.

    So reworded, The United States' greedy tax policy has driven corporations to other countries. Only a few reasons exist for companies to stay here in the U.S. many of those are going away. Raising, instead of lowering taxes on corporations will only drive them (and any jobs they provide) to other countries quicker.
    another instance of comparative advantage
    if those corporations choose to undertake their business activities in other countries to avoid the taxes needed to sustain the opportunities in the USA, that is their decision to make
    what we actually see is that they exploit the benefits of operating within the USA but use tax dodges to avoid paying their fair share of taxes to sustain our nation's operations
    then, the tax burden falls on the middle class ... which subsidizes the operations of the major earners
    that needs to change
    Last edited by justabubba; 10-01-10 at 12:05 PM. Reason: kant spel
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #367
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I guess you cannot figure out the difference between a 3% increase in the tax rate versus a 10% increase in the amount of taxes someone pays on each additional dollar.

    Let me try this to help you understand

    if you pay 36 cents on your next dollar today and 40 cents on that dollar tomorrow how much of an increase is 4 cents? Not 4 percent
    It is a four cent increase on each dollar. No more. The difference between 36% and 39% is 3%.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #368
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Sounds to me like you're exploiting the system like a mutha'.

    I wasn't aware that people could draw SS and retirement pensions. Sounds like bulllllllllllllllllllllllllllll****. That, or you're defrauding the government. Someone probably needs to look into what you're doing.

    Ultimately, I see why you support more taxation. So you can make sure your meal ticket keeps coming in.
    I also will end up quad dipping while my wife will be double dipping AND enjoying the benefits of a pretty healthy and safe investment portfolio that has been pretty much bullet proof. If you retire from the military...you will at least be double dipping and if you do get a career after military life (a certainty, because retirement from the military really equals 'unemployed').

    The thread has centered on tax cuts which is a shame because tax cuts dont have a THING to do with the gap between the rich and the poor. The left clamors for more taxes on the wealthy to pay for more social programs for the crippled and dependent pets that keep voting them in power...but that does NOT create the gap. The poor are not poor because some rich guy or gal is successful. The poor are poor because they FAIL. They failed to prepare, they failed to recover, and now they simply whine about how unfair life is.

    When I saw peoples comments that the poor are poor because the rich 'steal' from them, I laughed. I snorted in disgust too...but mostly...I just laughed. When i saw peoples comments that the rich try to make people poor or keep people poor...again...nothing but pure derisive laughter. How people can be that pathetic and stupid is beyond me. I am in the top 5% and if you think I spend even a second devising diabolical and devious plans to keep people poor, then you are sadly mistaken. I WANT people to succeed. I WANT people to get off their lazyu pathetic whiny asses and start doing for themselves and providing for their families (and all those children they create and dont take care of). I WANT them to stop being such a drain on society. I WANT them to be succesful. And some...MANY actually do. Tragically...far too many dont. And thats a tragedy for all of us...because they suffer...the children they invariably spawn suffer...and overall we as a society also suffer. The ONLY people that win with the poor are democrat politicians that exploit their poverty for their votes.

  9. #369
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The answer can be found in the article you linked.

    So reworded, The United States' greedy tax policy has driven corporations to other countries. Only a few reasons exist for companies to stay here in the U.S. many of those are going away. Raising, instead of lowering taxes on corporations will only drive them (and any jobs they provide) to other countries quicker.
    How does this policy fit with the Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations? In keeping with that question, why is our trade balance always negative? We used to be the biggest creditor nation, now we are one of the biggest debtor nations. This makes no sense, Sam Walton used to advertise "American made," now when you enter Walmart or any other store most things are made in China.


  10. #370
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I also will end up quad dipping while my wife will be double dipping AND enjoying the benefits of a pretty healthy and safe investment portfolio that has been pretty much bullet proof. If you retire from the military...you will at least be double dipping and if you do get a career after military life (a certainty, because retirement from the military really equals 'unemployed').

    The thread has centered on tax cuts which is a shame because tax cuts dont have a THING to do with the gap between the rich and the poor. The left clamors for more taxes on the wealthy to pay for more social programs for the crippled and dependent pets that keep voting them in power...but that does NOT create the gap. The poor are not poor because some rich guy or gal is successful. The poor are poor because they FAIL. They failed to prepare, they failed to recover, and now they simply whine about how unfair life is.

    When I saw peoples comments that the poor are poor because the rich 'steal' from them, I laughed. I snorted in disgust too...but mostly...I just laughed. When i saw peoples comments that the rich try to make people poor or keep people poor...again...nothing but pure derisive laughter. How people can be that pathetic and stupid is beyond me. I am in the top 5% and if you think I spend even a second devising diabolical and devious plans to keep people poor, then you are sadly mistaken. I WANT people to succeed. I WANT people to get off their lazyu pathetic whiny asses and start doing for themselves and providing for their families (and all those children they create and dont take care of). I WANT them to stop being such a drain on society. I WANT them to be succesful. And some...MANY actually do. Tragically...far too many dont. And thats a tragedy for all of us...because they suffer...the children they invariably spawn suffer...and overall we as a society also suffer. The ONLY people that win with the poor are democrat politicians that exploit their poverty for their votes.
    One thing I agree with you on is that tax cuts have little to nothing to do with the gap. Very true.

    But the problem isn't envy or lazy poor or any of those easy sound bite answers. Left with no controls, every society will eventually lead to such a division. Keeping a strong middle class doesn't actually happen naturally. But to our system, it is essential that we have one. The greater the divide, the harder it will be to sell the myth of equal opportunity, that anyone can reach the top.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 37 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •