Page 31 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 1288

Thread: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

  1. #301
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,089

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I said nothing about everyone being born with the same opportunities. Point of fact many spoiled rich kids die from suicide because they also FAILED. They end up in rehab because rich mommy and daddy pampered them and then the real world kicked them right square in the mouth. Birth into a rich home is no predictor of success. Hard work is.

    Im the first person in my family to graduate from high school. My father went through wives like babysitters. I never knew my mother. I went through multiple instances of abuse. Education was never stressed nor emphasized. I bounced around from home to home most of my early years. I wasnt what you would call primed for success. I vowed my family wouldnt go through that. I vowed my kids wouldnt. I worked my ass off 2 and 3 jobs AND went to school. I sat in night and weekend classes with others committed to changing their futures.

    Do I believe it? Hell yes. I lived it and I see others living it daily.
    It's here that I applaud you. It takes tons of courage, hours of sacrafice and lots of determination to change your life condition and move beyond it. It's like ending a trend of divorce or abusiveness as was your case within your family tree. At some point, somebody's got to recognize the merry-go-round aspect of your family dynamic and decide to make a change. So, I applaud you for being the first to see the need to do not only more but better for you and yours.

    You fail...blame yourself. Period. Quit whining and bitching about how unfair life is and CHANGE YOURS...stop being so damn pathetic and envious of others.
    It's here where you lost some brownie points. My post wasn't about blaming anyone for my shortcomings whatever they may be by any means nor was I complaining about my status in life. I was merely acknowledging (or rather reminding some) that not everyone starts off with, has access to or are fortunate enough to have the same opportunities at success as others. To ignore that is just plain foolish.

    I'm a long way from being rich monetarily, but I love my life and work hard just like everyone else to ensure my family is well provided for. I don't envy others for what they've achieved. I celebrate it and wish them the best. Would I like to live a more comfortable lifestyle where I never have to worry about how my bills would be paid or where my next meal would come from should illness befall me or I should loss my job? Of course! Who wouldn't!! But I'm a long way from complaining about my life or my status in it. If I gave you that impression, you misunderstood me entirely.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 09-30-10 at 01:58 PM.

  2. #302
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,932

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    It's here that I applaud you. It takes tons of courage, hours of sacrafice and lots of determination to change your life condition and move beyond it. It's like ending a trend of divorce or abusiveness as was your case within your family tree. At some point, somebody's got to recognize the merry-go-round aspect of your family dynamic and decide to make a change. So, I applaud you for being the first to see the need to do not only more but better for you and yours.


    It's here where you lost some brownie points. My post wasn't about blaming anyone for my shortcomings whatever they may be by any means nor was I complaining about my status in life. I was merely acknowledging (or a reminding some) that not everyone starts off with, has access to or are fortunate enough to have the same opportunities at success as others. To ignore that is just plain foolish.

    I'm a long way from being rich monetarily, but I love my life and work hard just like everyone else to ensure my family is well provided for. I don't envy others for what they've achieved. I celebrate it and wish them the best. Would I like to live a more comfortable lifestyle where I never have to worry about how my bills would be paid or where my next meal would come from should illness befall me or I should loss my job? Of course! Who wouldn't!! But I'm a long way from complaining about my life or my status in it. If I gave you that impression, you misunderstood me entirely.
    I sincerely apologize for the use of the word 'you'. That wasnt an individual 'you'...that was directed more apporopriately at 'them'...thems what do lay down and die and lok for excuses. I dont know you from the next guy. For all I know you are my neighbor with the 26 foot cruiser.

    So...You...meaning those that lay down and look for excuses for their own personal failings.

    And heres the kicker...I have said on NUMEROUS occasions...I UNDERESTAND people that didnt prepare...that are struggling...and Im ALL FOR providing hand-UP programs. I dont object to my tax dollars being used thusly (and I spend a significant amount of my personal tiome and resources providing pro-bono services for those folks) and I have ALSO stated I dont want to see tax cuts...provided that the government be fiscally responsible and look for ways top pay down the debt.

  3. #303
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,089

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Those with the ability have the oppurtunity.
    I disagree. As VanceMack even points out even those who are capable and have opportunities placed at their feet don't take advantage of them and fall short. Therefore, I would revised your statement to read:

    Those with the ability, access to information and know when the opportunity presents itself and are willing to take advantage of same are provided an avenue to success.

    Unless, of course, the government over-regulates that oppurtunity out of existance.
    The government rights the rules that the private sector and state-government must follow. In most cases, the fed sets minimum standards. It's up to the states to adhere to those "minimum" standards or raise the bar and develop programs whereby their residents can get off that merry-go-round of welfare-state dependency. People keep looking at the federal government the wrong way, IMO. It's not the feds fault that a state offers welfare to a young mom with 5 kids and doesn't provide a way for her to get off the cycle of state-sponsored dependency. Educate the young mother. Give her access to meaningful job/skills training that she can put to use. Place limits on what state services she can obtain. Until states start taking steps to manage their federally sponsored programs better and enact rules that halt the "revolving door of welfare privilege", the cycle of dysfunctionality will never cease.

    I don't blame the government for establishing meaningful social services programs. I blame the states for mismanaging them.

  4. #304
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    86,388

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I disagree. As VanceMack even points out even those who are capable and have opportunities placed at their feet don't take advantage of them and fall short. Therefore, I would revised your statement to read:

    Those with the ability, access to information and know when the opportunity presents itself and are willing to take advantage of same are provided an avenue to success.
    But, at the end of the day, their station in life is due to their own decisions. My tax dollars shouldn't go to pay for the bad decisions of other people.



    The government rights the rules that the private sector and state-government must follow. In most cases, the fed sets minimum standards. It's up to the states to adhere to those "minimum" standards or raise the bar and develop programs whereby their residents can get off that merry-go-round of welfare-state dependency. People keep looking at the federal government the wrong way, IMO. It's not the feds fault that a state offers welfare to a young mom with 5 kids and doesn't provide a way for her to get off the cycle of state-sponsored dependency. Educate the young mother. Give her access to meaningful job/skills training that she can put to use. Place limits on what state services she can obtain. Until states start taking steps to manage their federally sponsored programs better and enact rules that halt the "revolving door of welfare privilege", the cycle of dysfunctionality will never cease.

    I don't blame the government for establishing meaningful social services programs. I blame the states for mismanaging them.
    There ya go, "Federally sponsored programs", that the states have to operate in accordance with Federal guidelines. Therefore, blame rests as the Federal government's doorstep, as well, because they certainly have the power to set guidelines by which the programs are run.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  5. #305
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,991

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Providing this government...democrats, republicans, and this president access to more taxpayer dollars will translate to one thing...more spending. Thats simply fact. You give them more they will spend more...not less. You cannot possibly say it WOULDN'T increase deficit spending because that calls for you to make the assumption they wouldn't just spend more and more recklessly. And based on their current track record...you REALLY want to bank on that?
    i cannot see the logic in going deeper into debt to pay for tax breaks for billionaires. so, explain why doing so is a prudent action of government
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, ĎHey I was wrong.' I donít know that Iíll ever admit that, but Iíll find some kind of an excuse. ~ tRump
    seldom right but never in doubt

  6. #306
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    86,388

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i cannot see the logic in going deeper into debt to pay for tax breaks for billionaires. so, explain why doing so is a prudent action of government
    We're not just talking about billionares. We're talking about people who are making $200,000 a year; far from being a billionare. We're talking about small businesses; the orginizations who create most of the jobs. If the government wants more money, it should put more ffort into creating a mor business friendly environment, rather than spending it's time trying to figure out how to take more tax money put of the pockets of Americans.

    Here's another American who gets it:

    "The repeal -- I don't care if it is 5 percent -- that's 5 percent that would create a job," he told Obama during a meeting with about 70 people in a couple's back yard in Des Moines.

    "Five percent on millions of dollars of profit creates many jobs . . . As the government gets more and more involved in business and more and more involved in taxes, what you're finding is you're strangling those job-creation vehicles."
    Then, after he's made Obama look the fool:

    Before Greenspon could complete his question, his microphone was cut off and taken out of his hand.
    Remember what I was saying s-corps?

    But because he files taxes as a Subchapter S corporation, all his company's earnings are calculated as personal income.

    Iowa businessman tells Obama repealing Bush tax cuts would be a jobs-killer - NYPOST.com
    because he files under an s-corp, he'll be thrust into the $200,000 tax bracket and get hammered.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  7. #307
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,932

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i cannot see the logic in going deeper into debt to pay for tax breaks for billionaires. so, explain why doing so is a prudent action of government
    We arent discussing going deeper in debt to pay for ANYONES tax breaks. The conservatives (and at least 47 democrats) haver recognized that allowing the wealthy to keep MORE of THEIR wealth puts more money in the markets and encourages economic growth.

    You REALLY want to tell me the answer to a government that has already spent 14 trilllion MORE than what they have taken in in taxes is to give them ACCESS to MORE? You HONESTLY believe they would use that money to pay down debt or suddenly display fiuscal responsibility?

  8. #308
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,991

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    We arent discussing going deeper in debt to pay for ANYONES tax breaks. The conservatives (and at least 47 democrats) haver recognized that allowing the wealthy to keep MORE of THEIR wealth puts more money in the markets and encourages economic growth.

    You REALLY want to tell me the answer to a government that has already spent 14 trilllion MORE than what they have taken in in taxes is to give them ACCESS to MORE? You HONESTLY believe they would use that money to pay down debt or suddenly display fiuscal responsibility?
    math is your friend. use it

    every dollar in tax breaks given to the billionaires is another dollar which will need to be borrowed (probably from the chinese - only to be paid back by our children)
    so pick your poison, either give the billionaires tax breaks or tax them equitably and diminish the amount of deficit borrowing
    only one of those choices is fiscally responsible. from your posts i don't think you will be able to distinguish which one that is
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, ĎHey I was wrong.' I donít know that Iíll ever admit that, but Iíll find some kind of an excuse. ~ tRump
    seldom right but never in doubt

  9. #309
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Perhaps you should read the article, before you post it.
    May look towards. Not Bush tax cuts include business taxes. See the difference?
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 09-30-10 at 03:12 PM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #310
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Census finds record gap between rich and poor

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You are adding three plus truck and getting a total of ostrich. No one can set UNREALISTIC goals and expect them to acheive them. Woody Allen cant be Michael Jordan. However there are any number of smaller players that have acheived success in the NBA. If THAT is his goal all he has to do is WORK at it. He could have been Woody Allen, NBA great alongside smaller players like Nate Tiny Archibald, SPudd Webb, J Will, John Starkes, John Stockton, and any number of great smaller point gurads and shooters.

    HARD WORK equals SUCCESS. Excuses GUARANTEES failure. Theres the stink of a whole lot of failure going around.
    You know, I play racket ball. Work really hard at getting better at it. I'm still not good at it. I wanted to play Baseball and basketball when i was a kid. Couldn't hit a ball no matter how hard I tried, and I was praised for my effort. And the basketball coach directed me to football, where I excelled. We have limitations. That's just a fact.

    I don't suggest anyone make excuses, but the fact is there are real, honest and undersandble limitations in the real world. So, while a little delusion can help us, too much delusion makes us misguided and that hurt us in the long run. And it can make us more like Scroodge than Mother Teresa.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 31 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •