Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 312

Thread: Transgender senior can't be king

  1. #221
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    How does that change the defintion of the word? Go ahead, explain yourself.
    It means there are other definitions for words when used in a particular context that are correct in that context even though they aren't in Webster's.

  2. #222
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Here's the problem, the way I see it. The school failed to set definitive rules. If they had refused to let the student participate as a male in any other activities, I would probably stand by their decision to exclude the individual from running for Homecoming King.

    However, they allowed the student to be male in every other aspect of school life. This set's a pretty poor precedent for the current decision, now doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The policy of the school was also that girls wear a girl's uniform/graduation gown and boys wear a boy's uniform/graduation gown, and yet the school changed the policy for this person. So that shows that the school obviously accepted this person as a boy. The rules do not say that the person had to be born a boy, have a penis, or be registered as a boy in the school. The school accepted the student as a boy for band uniforms and graduation gowns, but not in a popularity contest, that he won. Doesn't make sense.
    These two arguments represent some modicum of logic to me. You're right. They invited the rule bending. Once they did that, well, like every other teenager in the UNIVERSE, kids are going to test the limits. Test they did. Yet, there ARE limits. In everything. So what's the lesson? There aren't limits? Life is a bunch of "Gotcha!!" games? Or is it a part of growing up to realize that there are limits that are non-negotiable? That if I give you an inch and you take a mile, I'll fire your ass.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #223
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    These two arguments represent some modicum of logic to me. You're right. They invited the rule bending. Once they did that, well, like every other teenager in the UNIVERSE, kids are going to test the limits. Test they did. Yet, there ARE limits. In everything. So what's the lesson? There aren't limits? Life is a bunch of "Gotcha!!" games? Or is it a part of growing up to realize that there are limits that are non-negotiable? That if I give you an inch and you take a mile, I'll fire your ass.
    The policies must be consistent, this can even hold up in court. And was this student informed that he had to be registered as a boy in order to participate in such a contest? I doubt it. Especially since it is obvious he was allowed to be considered a boy without being registered as one in other things. Some school rules are based on outdated traditions and should be challenged. If there was a school rule that girls had to wear dresses or skirts to school, I would expect this rule to be challenged whole heartedly. There is no harm at all in allowing a boy who was born a girl to be homecoming king. The contest is for the students in the first place, and obviously they wanted it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #224
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    It means there are other definitions for words when used in a particular context that are correct in that context even though they aren't in Webster's.
    Does it change the definition provided? Yes or No?

    Does any other definition of the word contradict the one provided? Yes or No?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #225
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There are some insurance policies that will cover it. And it was just recently suggested that it be required to be covered when medically necessary.

    Sex reassignment surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Transgender Health Benefits
    Sex Change You Can Believe In | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.
    I don't usually call people out on links, but I will here. Your first source is Wiki. In this particular case, I discount the entire post because it IS Wiki. I can write a Wiki reference. It was obviously written by a special interest. And, further, the Wiki reference gives no examples of any insurance company that covers transformation. Your second one is a Transgender site advocating insurance coverage. Your third is a blog talking about the left wanting to add language in the HCB that will make it mandatory to be covered. All special interest groups speaking to "whether or not." Link me to an insurance company site. Then I'll buy it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #226
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Does it change the definition provided? Yes or No?

    Does any other definition of the word contradict the one provided? Yes or No?
    Go back and look at the several definitions already provided on this thread.

  7. #227
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Go back and look at the several definitions already provided on this thread.
    So you can't answer the questions. Next time just say that.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  8. #228
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    "If it squats to pee, it ain't a he." Just thought I'd throw in another inane reference to gender being based on the physical.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #229
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The policies must be consistent, this can even hold up in court. And was this student informed that he had to be registered as a boy in order to participate in such a contest? I doubt it. Especially since it is obvious he was allowed to be considered a boy without being registered as one in other things. Some school rules are based on outdated traditions and should be challenged. If there was a school rule that girls had to wear dresses or skirts to school, I would expect this rule to be challenged whole heartedly. There is no harm at all in allowing a boy who was born a girl to be homecoming king. The contest is for the students in the first place, and obviously they wanted it.
    Having the homecoming king be a boy is not an outdated tradition. Having to write special rules to encompass every crackpot idea kids come up with is silly. Truth is, the school will probably buckle. If it was MY school district, I'd want it to. Why waste money on such a ridiculous litigation?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #230
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Having the homecoming king be a boy is not an outdated tradition. Having to write special rules to encompass every crackpot idea kids come up with is silly. Truth is, the school will probably buckle. If it was MY school district, I'd want it to. Why waste money on such a ridiculous litigation?
    Exactly my point, the school has given allowances to the child in every other area already. Why would it in any way be beneficial to suddenly reverse that decision for what is essentially an unjustifiable reason for denying something with no long term impact whatsoever?
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •