Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 312

Thread: Transgender senior can't be king

  1. #191
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    When it may effect my insurance premiums, you bet I should have a say.
    Sure, so is it when someone has cancer. I remember one lady telling me at a meeting that we shouldn't cover people who get cancer because it would effect her premiums. So, I asked what's the point in having insurance. She never got it, and I'm not sure if you will or not either, but if it is recognized (and usually not covered I think), them's the breaks.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #192
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so it's kinda like God then? just because no one has proven he exists doesn't mean he doesn't. I guess Pinocchio was right...she can be a real boy.
    Of course.

  3. #193
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,060

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm just concerned that we may be ignoring other avenues in treatment.

    What if it is just a mental disorder, meaning that it could be treated successfully with medication.
    I think more research is needed before we dive in to surgical correction.
    First of all, not everyone needs or even wants the reassignment surgery, but considering some of the comments on here and the laws of many states, it is sometimes necessary anyway for a person to get treated like the gender they feel they are. If you are having a problem with paying for gender reassignment surgery, maybe you should help to get the laws changed to accept people for the gender they wish to live as, not what others feel they should live as because of social norms (most gender issues are related to social acceptance, not physical aspects/abilities).

    Medication is used too much now.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #194
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    One I do not think that is up to us to decide. Two there is a lot to get to the point of sex reassignment surgery.
    I don't think it is either but then again, I'd like to see more research, before we do decide that it is a social need to pay for this.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #195
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If you don't want your insurance premium to possibly go up 5-17 cents a year, then by all means, make sure you choose an insurance company that denies transgender reassignment surgery.

    Transgender Health Benefits
    Monetary amount makes no difference, rain drops can create floods, if we decided to cover everything under the sun.

    We have decided that mandated coverage for some things is a social need.
    I want more done to verify that this is a social positive.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #196
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sure, so is it when someone has cancer. I remember one lady telling me at a meeting that we shouldn't cover people who get cancer because it would effect her premiums. So, I asked what's the point in having insurance. She never got it, and I'm not sure if you will or not either, but if it is recognized (and usually not covered I think), them's the breaks.
    Cancer ≠ gender reassignment surgery.

    I do get it, it exists to prevent loss on a voluntary basis.
    I don't think you understand what insurance is.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 09-28-10 at 02:16 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #197
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,060

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Monetary amount makes no difference, rain drops can create floods, if we decided to cover everything under the sun.

    We have decided that mandated coverage for some things is a social need.
    I want more done to verify that this is a social positive.
    I guarantee that if someone found any proof that it could be cured with medication, it would have to be covered by insurance, and it would most definitely cost you more than the gender reassignment surgery.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    First of all, not everyone needs or even wants the reassignment surgery, but considering some of the comments on here and the laws of many states, it is sometimes necessary anyway for a person to get treated like the gender they feel they are. If you are having a problem with paying for gender reassignment surgery, maybe you should help to get the laws changed to accept people for the gender they wish to live as, not what others feel they should live as because of social norms (most gender issues are related to social acceptance, not physical aspects/abilities).

    Medication is used too much now.
    I've been around people with what I assume is gender identity disorder.
    I, personally, don't have a problem with it.

    What I do have a problem with is the forced acceptance, that the surgical option is the correct course of action.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #199
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I guarantee that if someone found any proof that it could be cured with medication, it would have to be covered by insurance, and it would most definitely cost you more than the gender reassignment surgery.
    That is totally speculative, at this time.
    The point is that we should do more research on this subject, before we come to firm conclusions.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #200
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Transgender senior can't be king

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I guarantee that if someone found any proof that it could be cured with medication, it would have to be covered by insurance, and it would most definitely cost you more than the gender reassignment surgery.
    According to the link you posted above, the average gender reassignment surgery costs ~$20,000 all in. Would a person really go through more than $20,000 of medicine over their lifetime?

    I'm not being critical because I don't have any idea how much and what kind of medicine treatment would require. It just strikes me as being rather expensive.

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •