Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

  1. #11
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Someone standing on a sidewalk and signing up potential voters have no way of checking someones' ID or creditentials for their validity. That is the job of the voter registrations office. Again, registering people to vote is not "voter fraud". Republicans are very good at making an issue out of nothing because that is all they have to get elected.
    This is not only a misreading of what actually happened, it's also a misunderstanding of the law.

    If the people submitting these registrations did what they're alleged to have done, that is clearly illegal. Moreover, knowingly submitting fraudulent voter registrations is in fact voter fraud.

    As someone who has actually done voter registration, I can say with confidence that it's not possible to do what these people did by accident.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #12
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Just amazing.... Not one comment so far from the left condemning the voter fraud in original post.
    I'll give you a comment.

    With the inherent insecurities introduced into elections nationwide thanks to HAVA, I'm a little surprised that anybody's bothering to resort to more traditional methods of voter fraud anymore.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    This is not only a misreading of what actually happened, it's also a misunderstanding of the law.

    If the people submitting these registrations did what they're alleged to have done, that is clearly illegal. Moreover, knowingly submitting fraudulent voter registrations is in fact voter fraud.

    As someone who has actually done voter registration, I can say with confidence that it's not possible to do what these people did by accident.
    Knowingly? If someone knowingly signs their name to register to vote and it isn't their name then of course that person is the one commiting fraud, not the person who is standing there asking people to register. Since you claim to have registered people to vote, how did you verify and prove they were who they said they were and how did you know they weren't already registered? And since you accuse me of not knowing the law for registering people to vote, then why don't you provide a link to it since you're such an expert on this matter?

  4. #14
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Knowingly? If someone knowingly signs their name to register to vote and it isn't their name then of course that person is the one commiting fraud, not the person who is standing there asking people to register. Since you claim to have registered people to vote, how did you verify and prove they were who they said they were and how did you know they weren't already registered?
    Again, read the story.

    If you're out there registering voters and someone chooses to give you a fake name or register twice, that's not your fault.

    However, if you're out there registering voters and you:

    1) repeatedly submit multiple registrations of the same name,
    2) submit "so many applications ... in one day that it was deemed to be beyond human capability," or
    3) otherwise encourage/knowingly accept signatures from people who are not citizens or are not eligible to register to vote,

    you have most likely committed a crime. People are prosecuted for this all the time. This is common knowledge.

    And since you accuse me of not knowing the law for registering people to vote, then why don't you provide a link to it since you're such an expert on this matter?
    Because it's not going to waste my time searching through law for you if you can't do basic research yourself.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #15
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    98053
    Last Seen
    04-19-15 @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    264

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    It is unfortunate when anyone commits fraud and we should be diligent in preventing voter fraud and voter registration fraud. We should punish the people who do it, regardless of their political party.

    I hope that liberals won't try to defend people who even appear to be cheating on behalf of the Democratic Party. I also hope that conservatives won't try to defend the actions of people who appear to be cheating on behalf of the Republican Party.

    If it will help, I will call myself a liberal and admit that what the SEIU folks were doing was not right and should probably result in criminal charges. However, I'd also like conservatives not to try to claim that Republicans don't do this kind of crap too. They do. Simple search turns up plenty of transgressions by agents of both parties.

  6. #16
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Again, read the story.

    If you're out there registering voters and someone chooses to give you a fake name or register twice, that's not your fault.

    However, if you're out there registering voters and you:

    1) repeatedly submit multiple registrations of the same name,
    2) submit "so many applications ... in one day that it was deemed to be beyond human capability," or
    3) otherwise encourage/knowingly accept signatures from people who are not citizens or are not eligible to register to vote,

    you have most likely committed a crime. People are prosecuted for this all the time. This is common knowledge.



    Because it's not going to waste my time searching through law for you if you can't do basic research yourself.
    It looks like they are unfairly disqualfying registrations:

    Democrats sue Harris County Voter Registrar Leo Vasquez for alleged violations of voter registration laws | Texas Watchdog

    As it did in 2008, the Texas Democratic Party has sued the Harris County voter registrar in federal district court for what it says are violations of voter registration laws, political favoritism and violations of voter privacy.

    The lawsuit, filed Thursday with the federal court's Southern District, is the latest shot across the bow of registrar Leo Vasquez, who on Aug. 24 accused two Democratic-leaning activist groups of organized and systematic voter fraud involving more than 5,000 applications for voter registrations.

    The lawsuit takes exception to Vasquez' making public the voter registration applications in question and making them available to a Tea Party activist group called the King Street Patriots, which has publicly pledged to monitor voter fraud in Texas. The suit says Vasquez "resisted" turning over the same documents to officials with the Harris County and Texas Democratic Party organizations.

    The lawsuit also accuses Vasquez of violating a 2008 settlement of a lawsuit accusing his predecessor, Paul Bettencourt, of practices that blunted the ability of citizens to register to vote in a timely way. Both are Republicans. The original suit was settled without Bettencourt addressing whether the allegations against him were true or false.

    ...


  7. #17
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by zip98053 View Post
    If it will help, I will call myself a liberal and admit that what the SEIU folks were doing was not right and should probably result in criminal charges. However, I'd also like conservatives not to try to claim that Republicans don't do this kind of crap too. They do. Simple search turns up plenty of transgressions by agents of both parties.

    Don't be so quick to any conclusions, the right wing pulls this **** every year before elections. This is vote suppression of the poor. Watch the following video:



  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,512

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Someone standing on a sidewalk and signing up potential voters have no way of checking someones' ID or creditentials for their validity. That is the job of the voter registrations office. Again, registering people to vote is not "voter fraud". Republicans are very good at making an issue out of nothing because that is all they have to get elected.
    it is, if they aren't registering to vote under their legal name. And, if there's no way to check a person's ID, on the street, then what's the point?!? Why bother? Gotta be something in it for the people beating the bushes to find people to register. ACORN and SEIU aren't doing all this for nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,512

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Don't be so quick to any conclusions, the right wing pulls this **** every year before elections. This is vote suppression of the poor. Watch the following video:

    I grew up poor. I don't recall anyone suppressing my vote, or the vote of my siblings, or parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: Citizens' Group Helps Uncover Alleged Rampant Voter Fraud in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Again, read the story.
    Why don't you read the story first before telling others to read it.

    If you're out there registering voters and someone chooses to give you a fake name or register twice, that's not your fault.
    Which tends to be the case for 99% of these false accusations by Republicans and the rightwing bloggers.

    However, if you're out there registering voters and you:

    1) repeatedly submit multiple registrations of the same name,
    2) submit "so many applications ... in one day that it was deemed to be beyond human capability," or
    3) otherwise encourage/knowingly accept signatures from people who are not citizens or are not eligible to register to vote,

    you have most likely committed a crime. People are prosecuted for this all the time. This is common knowledge.
    Well, if you know that is what actually occured then prove it.


    Because it's not going to waste my time searching through law for you if you can't do basic research yourself.
    If you can't back up your claim by providing a link, then I see no reason to waste my time discussing this issue with you.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •