Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 107

Thread: First Woman Executed in the U.S. in Five Years

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: First Woman Executed in the U.S. in Five Years

    I oppose the death penalty. Absolutely. This doesn't mean I mourn for this woman, even though I don't think she should have been put to death. What I don't really understand is that the judge said that she masterminded this conspiracy to murder her husband and step-son. This means that the others involved were also involved in the conspiracy, but were not given the death sentence, despite the fact that it was them who actually carried out the deed. Why do you think that was?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  2. #12
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: First Woman Executed in the U.S. in Five Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I oppose the death penalty. Absolutely. This doesn't mean I mourn for this woman, even though I don't think she should have been put to death. What I don't really understand is that the judge said that she masterminded this conspiracy to murder her husband and step-son. This means that the others involved were also involved in the conspiracy, but were not given the death sentence, despite the fact that it was them who actually carried out the deed. Why do you think that was?
    She was the only person who originally knew about the life insurance policy, she bought the firearm that was used to kill those men, she let the gunmen in the home and put away the dog to prevent it from alerting the victims.

    She was the principle orchestrator.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: First Woman Executed in the U.S. in Five Years

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Her IQ was so low she almost legally qualified for retardation.
    'Almost' only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

  4. #14
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: First Woman Executed in the U.S. in Five Years

    Sadly, her low IQ is probably responsible for making her think that she was going to get away with this double murder. When, in fact, it likely contributed to her being caught.

    I seriously doubt that the gunmen were much smarter. I'm guessing they got caught and turned states evidence against her for leniency.
    Last edited by d0gbreath; 09-24-10 at 10:02 AM.

  5. #15
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: First Woman Executed in the U.S. in Five Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Sadly, her low IQ is probably responsible for making her think that she was going to get away with this double murder. When, in fact, it likely contributed to her being caught.

    I seriously doubt that the gunmen were much smarter. I'm guessing they got caught and turned states evidence against her for leniency.
    If she was smarter then she could have gotten away with it.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #16
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution

    Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution - Yahoo! Canada News

    As 41-year-old Teresa Lewis was led to her death by lethal injection, the campaigners argued that her execution epitomized everything that was wrong about capital punishment.

    "What kind of people are we to execute someone like her?" cried Virginia Rovnyak.

    "She didn't pull the trigger, and she was mentally challenged," said the campaigner, who wore a sign around her neck that read: "Life is sacred, do not kill."

    Prosecutors portrayed Lewis as the "mastermind" of the 2003 murders of her husband and step-son, even though she had an IQ of about 70, said Rovnyak. She had been let down by the US justice system.
    I'm curious to find out the kind of argument somebody needs to come up with to prove that a person with an IQ slightly higher than the require level for retardation is capable of masterminding murders. Now admittedly, I have never dealt with somebody who is borderline mentally retarded - excuse me, developmentally disabled - but I do have friends with relatives who have mild disabilities and yet require constant care taking. How different was this woman from them?



    IQ - Mental retardation

    # Mild mental retardation: IQ 50–55 to 70; children require mild support; formally called "Educable Mentally Retarded".

    # Moderate retardation: IQ 35–40 to 50–55; children require moderate supervision and assistance; formally called "Trainable Mentally Retarded".

    # Severe mental retardation: IQ 20–25 to 35–40; can be taught basic life skills and simple tasks with supervision.

    # Profound mental retardation: IQ below 20–25; usually caused by a neurological condition; require constant care.

    The rate of mental retardation is higher among males than females, and higher among blacks than whites, according to a 1991 U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study.
    On a last note, I believe the death penalty if it can't be abolished should be reserved for the most HEINOUS of crimes where there is no doubt that the person knew exactly what they were doing. The death penalty as a punishment seems useless. I punish my daughter by taking her toys away for a few hours. Not taking her toys away for good. The death penalty in this case seems like vengeance.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #17
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution - Yahoo! Canada News

    I'm curious to find out the kind of argument somebody needs to come up with to prove that a person with an IQ slightly higher than the require level for retardation is capable of masterminding murders. Now admittedly, I have never dealt with somebody who is borderline mentally retarded - excuse me, developmentally disabled - but I do have friends with relatives who have mild disabilities and yet require constant care taking. How different was this woman from them?
    You just answered your own question.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  8. #18
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution

    Retarded,borderline or almost retarded has nothing to do with the fact she had her stepson and husband murdered.Its just another excuse or loop hole that scumbag sympathizers use to try to help scumbags weasel out of getting their punishment while ****ting on the victims of these scum.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #19
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution - Yahoo! Canada News



    I'm curious to find out the kind of argument somebody needs to come up with to prove that a person with an IQ slightly higher than the require level for retardation is capable of masterminding murders. Now admittedly, I have never dealt with somebody who is borderline mentally retarded - excuse me, developmentally disabled - but I do have friends with relatives who have mild disabilities and yet require constant care taking. How different was this woman from them?



    IQ - Mental retardation



    On a last note, I believe the death penalty if it can't be abolished should be reserved for the most HEINOUS of crimes where there is no doubt that the person knew exactly what they were doing. The death penalty as a punishment seems useless. I punish my daughter by taking her toys away for a few hours. Not taking her toys away for good. The death penalty in this case seems like vengeance.
    She controlled the whole situation in regards to the murder.

    She bought the gun, she enticed the men to kill her husband and stepson, she offered her 16 year old daughter for sex, she unlocked the door and put away the family dog, to allow the men to commit the murder.
    She was the person, other than the father and stepson, who knew about the life insurance policy.

    While I disagree with the death penalty on the grounds that innocent people can be killed, the state should not have to mind people who are so mentally disabled that they may kill others.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #20
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I'm curious to find out the kind of argument somebody needs to come up with to prove that a person with an IQ slightly higher than the require level for retardation is capable of masterminding murders.
    It was proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •