Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 115 of 115

Thread: Bob Woodward book details Obama battles with advisers over exit plan for Afghan war

  1. #111
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,423

    Re: Bob Woodward book details Obama battles with advisers over exit plan for Afghan w

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Why Pelosi's Trip Did Not Violate Federal Law

    "The clear intent of this provision [Logan Act] is to prohibit unauthorized persons from intervening in disputes between the United States and foreign governments. Nothing in section 953 [Logan Act], however, would appear to restrict members of the Congress from engaging in discussions with foreign officials in pursuance of their legislative duties under the Constitution. In the case of Senators McGovern and Sparkman the executive branch, although it did not in any way encourage the Senators to go to Cuba , was fully informed of the nature and purpose of their visit, and had validated their passports for travel to that country."

    The circumstances of Speaker Pelosi's trip to Syria were similar. The Bush administration was well aware of the "nature and purpose" of the proposed trip, and while President Bush discouraged it and is now harshly criticizing it, the executive branch took no action to prevent Pelosi from leaving the country. Indeed, the White House has not mentioned the Logan Act in relationship to Pelosi's trip.

    Some other Americans accused of, but never prosecuted for violating the Logan Act include Ross Perot for his efforts to locate U.S. POWs in Southeast Asia and former Speaker of the House Jim Wright for his relations with the Sandinista government. In 1984, Reverend Jessie Jackson's trips to Syria, Cuba and Nicaragua drew accusations of Logan Act violations from President Reagan. And who can forget Jane Fonda's many controversial trips to Southeast Asia in protest of the Vietnam War? Yet, as far as the Congressional Research Service has been able to determine, no American has ever been prosecuted under the Logan Act.

    Why Pelosi's Trip Did Not Violate Federal Law

    In medicine we say a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Too many on your side are easily swayed by venomous pndents because they know just enough to get it completely wrong. You may well disagree with her actions, and with good reason, but that doesn't mean she broke any law.
    Pelosi not only didn't have the authority to negotiatte foriegn policy, but she was negotiating policy that was contrary to the existing official foreign policy of the United States.

    Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #112
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Bob Woodward book details Obama battles with advisers over exit plan for Afghan w

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Why Pelosi's Trip Did Not Violate Federal Law
    Nonsense, pure and simple. Pelosi sent Lantos, and Slaughter to meet with the PKK. An insider tells of the plan here.

    Tom Lantos and Louise Slaughter democrat from New York who had the actual meeting with Haji Amadi, the leader of the PJAK, which is an arm of the PKK who were tasked with handling the battle within Iraq, and other PKK and KCK officers. He said that one PKK officer Marrett Kereillin(sp) has even bragged on this and other meetings in interviews in English and Arabic and Farci language publications. This is all the source could and likely will say...He feels if we continue to talk about it the story could break in the national media...the possibility of some Kurd or even a PKK member or a sister terrorist organization might be willing to discuss what they know or one of the intelligent sources, French, US, Israeli, Iraqi, who already are aware of the meeting will finally see the need to leak it...or even a democratic staffer will come forward with the facts... If this is true we have a bunch of people in the congress of the United States who have committed treason...

    PELOSI PERFIDY PLANNED US DEFEAT - Atlas Shrugs

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #113
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Bob Woodward book details Obama battles with advisers over exit plan for Afghan w

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Nonsense, pure and simple. Pelosi sent Lantos, and Slaughter to meet with the PKK. An insider tells of the plan here.




    j-mac
    Once again j, you present mindless opinion as if it were fact. There were no charges and it wasn't what you claim. But you demonstrat how easy it is to lead those willing to suspend disblief in order to support a partisan view. Congrats.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Bob Woodward book details Obama battles with advisers over exit plan for Afghan w

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Pelosi not only didn't have the authority to negotiatte foriegn policy, but she was negotiating policy that was contrary to the existing official foreign policy of the United States.
    Again, you're ignoring the rebuttal, and the fact she was not charged in any way.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #115
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Bob Woodward book details Obama battles with advisers over exit plan for Afghan w

    today:

    Military leaders and President Obama’s civilian advisers are girding for battle over the size and pace of the planned pullout of U.S. troops from Afghanistan this summer, with the military seeking to limit a reduction in combat forces and the White House pressing for a withdrawal substantial enough to placate a war-weary electorate.

    At a meeting of his war cabinet this month, "the president made it clear that he wants a meaningful drawdown to start in July,” said one of the officials, who, like the others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to share internal discussions.

    The divergent views about the withdrawal illustrate the unresolved tensions between Obama’s military and civilian advisers over the decision to send more troops to Afghanistan in a last-ditch attempt to salvage a failing war. Although military officials contend that the surge has enabled U.S. forces to blunt the Taliban in key areas over the past several months, White House officials remain skeptical that those gains will survive without the presence of American troops and without U.S. financial aid.

    Complicating the debate is growing concern in Washington about the war’s cost, which is estimated to reach $120 billion this year, and polls that show increasing disenchantment, even among Republicans, with a mission that has turned into a complicated nation-building endeavor.

    As both sides prepare for what they expect to be a vigorous debate, they are seeking ways to achieve their favored outcome by limiting what the other can do. For the military, that means crafting a narrow set of choices, because there is general agreement that reduction numbers need to originate in the field.

    Two senior military officials said one set of options being developed by staff officers in Kabul involves three choices: the removal of almost no forces; the withdrawal of a few thousand support personnel, including headquarters staff, engineers and logisticians; and the pullout of a brigade’s worth of troops — about 5,000 personnel— by culling a battalion of Marines in Helmand province that was added after the surge, a contingent of soldiers training Afghan security forces and an Army infantry battalion in either the country’s east or far west.
    Within Obama's war cabinet, a looming battle over pace of Afghanistan drawdown - The Washington Post

    worry
    Last edited by The Prof; 03-31-11 at 08:54 PM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •