Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 514

Thread: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

  1. #311
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and it really grinds my gears that damn near every one of you pro-gay dudes think that I am against gays simply because I point out the legitimate flaws with repealing DADT.

    For me it's women who don't put out on the first date, but to each his own ...

  2. #312
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You may be forgetting however NP that the military tests for HIV at least once every 3 years (although, while I was on active duty, I know I was tested every 2 years on shore duty, and every year on ship). And the military actually allows anyone to stay in with HIV, they are just restricted on where they may serve.

    Also NP, please keep in mind that there are other people on this board who have served in the Navy, onboard ships for >90 days at sea, who have served more recently than you. I am one of them, and I know that there are many servicemembers who could truly care less if gays are allowed to serve openly. There are some ratings in the Navy that are so undermanned that even people who would object morally to homosexuality and/or who may be uncomfortable living with homosexuals would quickly get over it to get DADT (and the UCMJ sodomy laws) repealed if it meant that they would have a better watch and/or liberty rotation. You tend to learn what is really important when you have to stand 6 and 6s or 3 section duty while the rest of the ship is on 4 or 5 section duty. Some subs are port and starboard duty rotation. Allowing gays to serve openly could actually cause more people to want to join or at least keep some of those qualified in, which would mean more people to stand watches, which means more liberty for everyone.

    I am not going to get in a pissing contest with you on who served when and where...........I will say that during the Vietnam conflict I was stationed aboard and AOE. a fast combat support ship and although I stood no watches I was in charge of the cargo gang and put many hours on the cargo deck supporting the ships of the 7th fleet on yankee and dixie station....We performed 811 unreps on a 10 month deployment which is a record by almost 500 unreps.......There were times I did not see my rack for 2 or 3 days and use to sleep between ships we were unreping with my elbow on a stanchion in the handling area.....................

    enough of that though............I was just pointing out that I earned my fifty cents and hou...............
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  3. #313
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post

    For me it's women who don't put out on the first date, but to each his own ...
    I hate when women do that.

  4. #314
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    When you claim that he served, "100 years ago", then yes, you're attacking his service.





    I bet you don't. I got an idea, enlist and find out. Then come tell us, "old farts", that we don't know ****.





    I enver said they shouldn't. I've explain how gays can be allowed to serve in the military. But keep going down the, "I'm going to insult every veteran that doesn't share my point of view, no matter how small minded and ignorant it may be", road. It may actually lead somewhere.
    Thanks a lot but some people in this forum can not make a post unless its a personal attack against another member............Its just the way it is when it comes to him or DD I just consider the source..............It use to piss me off but not anymore..............
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #315
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    But, since you never served a single minute in the military, you know about it than what I learned in 12 years.
    This is always the lamest argument the anti-gay folk make. That would be like me saying....unless you are gay then you shouldn't be allowed to comment on any issue relating to gays.....see how silly that argument is now?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #316
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    There are some veterans in here that disagree with me and I respect their opinion.......The people that pis me off are the liberals who have never served and never intend to serve that run their mouth.......Hell they can say anything it does not affect them..........they have no clue what goes on in the military............
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  7. #317
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    to make a political statement and pander to gays and gay supporters for votes without actually changing anything?
    The study that DOD is conducting states that it is to allow for gays to serve openly in the military. Repealing DADT, which is the only actual law that prevents gays from serving openly, will allow for the military to change its policies, if there are any left. Someone needs to show me the policies besides DADT, that would keep gays from serving. Sodomy, as I mentioned above, is not necessarily one of them, since, even if a person claims to be homosexual, any act of sodomy would have to be proven. And considering the current trend to more tolerance and equal opportunities, I'd say that it is a very good bet that the military will be including sexuality in equal opportunity and tolerance.

    Also, I am a female E-6 who served 10 years active and am currently in the reserves. I do know that it is quite easy for the openly gay servicemembers to serve with very little problems. We had numerous, both male and female, serving on the carrier I was on and specifically in my department. It makes very little sense to put these people out, especially in critical ratings such as mine, when we really need them, just because some may be uncomfortable with them. There has been no good argument given for why it is bad for gays to serve openly in the military. All the arguments that I have heard involved a lot of assumptions and events/problems that are easily covered by other UCMJ policies. Even the belief that it will make some servicemembers uncomfortable enough that they will not be able to perform their duties well is a) not really going to be a huge issue and b) ultimately resides on the servicemember who is uncomfortable, especially if there is no evidence that he/she should feel unsafe or violated. As a military member, you should not feel that you are entitled to complete privacy at any time that you are in a duty status. If a person feels uncomfortable showering/undressing in front of someone that they know is gay, why is it less uncomfortable for them to shower/undress in front of a bunch of other guys/girls who may or may not be gay? It doesn't make any sense. If they can't deal with it, then they need to be the one to get out. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have served in the military in the past who have had to either learn to deal with something they are uncomfortable with or get out. It is another part of military life.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #318
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    This is always the lamest argument the anti-gay folk make. That would be like me saying....unless you are gay then you shouldn't be allowed to comment on any issue relating to gays.....see how silly that argument is now?
    It's not a matter of you not being allowed to comment. It is plain and simple truth that military members and veterans know from first hand experience what it is like to be in the military and those of you who have not served have to rely on what you have read or heard. It may not be "fair" but a vets opinion on military matters has more gravitas than a civie's.

    you wouldn't want your tonsils taken out by some guy who read about the procedure now would you?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #319
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There are some veterans in here that disagree with me and I respect their opinion.......The people that pis me off are the liberals who have never served and never intend to serve that run their mouth.......Hell they can say anything it does not affect them..........they have no clue what goes on in the military............
    excellent point, because if I am not mistaken, you and I disagree on gays in the military. but we both respect each other's opinions. that's the big diff. we don't disrespect each other and make lame assed attempts at insults
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #320
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There are some veterans in here that disagree with me and I respect their opinion.......The people that pis me off are the liberals who have never served and never intend to serve that run their mouth.......Hell they can say anything it does not affect them..........they have no clue what goes on in the military............
    So since you are not gay....why do you start so many anti-gay threads Navy?... The people that pis me off are the homophobes who are not gay and will never be gay that run their mouths.....Hell you can say anything it does not affect you.......you have no clue what goes on in the gay world..........
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •