Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

  1. #11
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,514

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Its not even entirely clear what went wrong and what systems and machines failed. The only investigation out so far is BP's own, which is of questionable reliability. Now personally I don't know everything or much about deep sea oil drilling, same as you, however I do know that the technology is very high tech and there's not a lot of room for diversity, as it they all work relatively the same way. Its not like a car where you have a million and one ways to build it, its very specific precision technology.

    Plus its not just about the technology involved there's strong evidence of lack of serious oversight for that technology, so the technology may work perfectly fine but the oversight in the government which makes sure companies like BP aren't cutting corners may not be up to snuff. That has to be reevaluated too. And pending that investigation into those oversight agencies, there may be a lot of head rolling and restructuring.

    Lastly, the "ban" isn't a ban on oil drilling at all. Its a ban on new expansion, current wells in the Gulf will continue without interruption.

    If that's the case, why isn't the MMS issueing drilling permits in the GOM?

    Now I disagree with a permanent ban, I think the US should do all it can to lessen or remove foreign energy dependency. However I don't know enough about the industry or the technology to estimate what would be an acceptable time period for completing these tasks. But yes sooner rather than later I'd like to see the drilling resume in the Gulf and in Alaska. Both for energy and people's jobs.
    Agreed, however why aren't the politicos listening to the experts who said that a drilling ban wasn't necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I think you're being a little too dramatic, but the message he did send the nation, with the moratoirum, is that he's not afraid to kill jobs, if it supports his agenda. And, if he's not afraid to kill ours, then he's not afraid to kill your's.
    Obama is the best thing that ever happened to Canada.

    We're exporting huge amounts of oil to the United States to the point where Nancy Pelosi, among others, have even visited to discourage us. Other US groups have tried to discourage American tourism to Alberta as a result of their exports of oil.

    Obama''s "tax the rich policy", as well as Obamacare, has encouraged Canadian trained doctors to return, as well as other "rich" doctors leaving the US for Canada. We're also getting the "rich" entrepreneurs. The corporate rate in the US hovers around 39% while in some areas, like New Brunswick, it's 12%. The Canadian average is 24%.

    I say all this with no satisfaction whatsoever. I want our neighbours to prosper, but on a level playing field. Right now Obama has stacked the cards against the American people, and I don't want to profit at someone else's misfortune, despite them voting this man into office.

  3. #13
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Well ignoring the obvious fact that Obama can only do so much personally regarding an oil cap operation, what do you want him to do exactly? Swim down there himself?

    Anyway, I think its a prudent move. There's a reason that when a product goes wrong, all units are recalled, because they are all made the exact same way, so if there's a problem with the equipment on that rig than there could be similar problems on the other. So until an investigation is done, I think its a safe move.

    And I forgot, you're a complete conspiracy nut on par with 9/11 truthers.
    I guess that your response and the response by 1069, roughdraft274, spud_meister, and Your Star, points out vividly how much the truth gets to Liberals and some wackos alike.

    I guess next one of them will claim how spending $28,000 per Toyota sold in the "Cash for Clunkers debacle was good for the Nation, or maybe how the stimulus ahs created jobs like the 54 in L.A. and it only cost 111 million dollars.

    Do a bit of research, Obama is a failure and he did take 7 Vacations and killed a lot of jobs for political not environmental reasons. Not conspiracy FACT!
    Last edited by Councilman; 09-20-10 at 06:04 PM.

  4. #14
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Well ignoring the obvious fact that Obama can only do so much personally regarding an oil cap operation, what do you want him to do exactly? Swim down there himself?

    Anyway, I think its a prudent move. There's a reason that when a product goes wrong, all units are recalled, because they are all made the exact same way, so if there's a problem with the equipment on that rig than there could be similar problems on the other. So until an investigation is done, I think its a safe move.

    And I forgot, you're a complete conspiracy nut on par with 9/11 truthers.
    Imagine the approval rating of a president who put a wrench in his teeth and swam down there to fix the thing by hand...
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #15
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I guess that your response and the response by 1069, roughdraft274, spud_meister, and Your Star, points out vividly how much the truth gets to Liberals and some wackos alike.

    I guess next one of them will claim how spending $28,000 per Toyota sold in the "Cash for Clunkers debacle was good for the Nation, or maybe how the stimulus ahs created jobs like the 54 in L.A. and it only cost 111 million dollars.

    Do a bit of research, Obama is a failure and he did take 7 Vacations and killed a lot of jobs for political not environmental reasons. Not conspiracy FACT!
    Since you've done the research, I suppose you have evidence of these numbers you tossed out, and proof that Obama had "political reasons" for "killing jobs." Show me the memo where Obama writes "I'm going to kill these jobs because it suits me politically."

    You're saying it's FACT but your claim is essentially unprovable because it speaks to what goes on inside someone's head.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #16
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,080

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Imagine the approval rating of a president who put a wrench in his teeth and swam down there to fix the thing by hand...
    It'd bump up to about 50% because right wingers would have you believe that he started the leak only so that he could rescue us from it.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Since you've done the research, I suppose you have evidence of these numbers you tossed out, and proof that Obama had "political reasons" for "killing jobs." Show me the memo where Obama writes "I'm going to kill these jobs because it suits me politically."

    You're saying it's FACT but your claim is essentially unprovable because it speaks to what goes on inside someone's head.
    Either the man is ruining the American economy deliberately or he is irretrievably stupid.

    Which do you think it is?

  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,514

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Since you've done the research, I suppose you have evidence of these numbers you tossed out, and proof that Obama had "political reasons" for "killing jobs." Show me the memo where Obama writes "I'm going to kill these jobs because it suits me politically."

    You're saying it's FACT but your claim is essentially unprovable because it speaks to what goes on inside someone's head.
    Killing the oilfield and forcing a reliance on green energy doesn't help Obama's green agenda? I think we all know better than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    In my opinion saying that Obama is supporting this drilling ban for secret reasons, whatever they are, rather than his stated reasons is a conspiracy theory. You are attempting to state as fact what an individual is thinking as if you can see inside their head.

    I don't think he's doing it to secretly help his green agenda, not because enviromentalists wouldn't support the ban, but because he has to be secret about it he can't claim it as a green victory. And thats the thing, no green groups or enviromentalist individuals on these forums or anywhere else really where I've looked, although I realize thats not a complete view, aren't talking about how great Obama is for this drilling ban. And he's not going out there attempting to use it for votes. What I see is that it would gather votes for people who would already vote for him, but to other people who aren't as enviromentally extreme they need to be convinced its a good thing. In other words if he wants this ban to be politically useful he needs to go out and woo those who don't view every single "green" policy as a good thing.

    Lastly, when Obama took office he removed a similar ban on deepwater, Gulf, Atlantic, Pacific, and Alaskan oil drilling. It wasn't until the oil rig accident that he re-established the ban, although he called it only temporary pending the investigations. Now why would he remove the ban, only to place it back into effect when the first ban was exactly what many here claim he wanted? Why the reversal, that serves no purpose politically or to serve his 'agenda.' If he wanted the ban all along he could have simply left the ban in place and many people would have made a fuss, but certainly less of a fuss if he didn't start a new ban right after ending the old one.

    President Obama opens new areas to offshore drilling - washingtonpost.com

    So unless one is going to claim special insight into Obama and make this a conspiracy theory, I just don't see it.

  10. #20
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,514

    Re: Well Is Sealed; Tale Isn't Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    In my opinion saying that Obama is supporting this drilling ban for secret reasons, whatever they are, rather than his stated reasons is a conspiracy theory. You are attempting to state as fact what an individual is thinking as if you can see inside their head.

    I don't think he's doing it to secretly help his green agenda, not because enviromentalists wouldn't support the ban, but because he has to be secret about it he can't claim it as a green victory. And thats the thing, no green groups or enviromentalist individuals on these forums or anywhere else really where I've looked, although I realize thats not a complete view, aren't talking about how great Obama is for this drilling ban. And he's not going out there attempting to use it for votes. What I see is that it would gather votes for people who would already vote for him, but to other people who aren't as enviromentally extreme they need to be convinced its a good thing. In other words if he wants this ban to be politically useful he needs to go out and woo those who don't view every single "green" policy as a good thing.

    Lastly, when Obama took office he removed a similar ban on deepwater, Gulf, Atlantic, Pacific, and Alaskan oil drilling. It wasn't until the oil rig accident that he re-established the ban, although he called it only temporary pending the investigations. Now why would he remove the ban, only to place it back into effect when the first ban was exactly what many here claim he wanted? Why the reversal, that serves no purpose politically or to serve his 'agenda.' If he wanted the ban all along he could have simply left the ban in place and many people would have made a fuss, but certainly less of a fuss if he didn't start a new ban right after ending the old one.

    President Obama opens new areas to offshore drilling - washingtonpost.com

    So unless one is going to claim special insight into Obama and make this a conspiracy theory, I just don't see it.
    You're either ignorant, or dishonest. Nice try, though!

    Why do I say that? Because 1) There are many's a treehugger that support the moratorium and 2) There was no ban on deepwater drilling. You did well, skirting around the issue, but I knew the big enchilada was coming, sooner, or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •