Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 75

Thread: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

  1. #51
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Merely pointing out a painful truth. Merely because you don't like it doesn't make it any less true. Your whole list of why she's on the left was summed up nicely by me.

    If we assume the left is diametrically opposed to the right, right means that you are for less individual liberty, are for leaving children to die in the cold and would rather see your mother die then conduct research on a bunch of cells.

    Ahh you just have adolescent level emotionalism masking a weak attempt to be witty. By all means, please keep creating fantastical positions that MUST be for you to promote. It is most entertaining.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #52
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Ahh you just have adolescent level emotionalism masking a weak attempt to be witty. By all means, please keep creating fantastical positions that MUST be for you to promote. It is most entertaining.
    Perhaps you have once again failed to read the article you posted? Would you be so kind as to point out how my summarization of your article is false? Or are you just going to pretend that you are capable of arguing on a level that the rest of forum does? It would be most entertaining to add this thread to the list of where your own article was not what you thought it was.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    So you like to tell other people how to spend their money? tsk, tsk, tsk, that's not very libertarian of you.
    It's amazing how the younger generation of socialists are as illiterate as their forebears. (That last word has nothing to do with ursine orgies.)

  4. #54
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,047

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    BS you know very well a Dem could win because she is acting like a snot-nosed brat. She is undermining Alaska and the Country.
    Lol... what the ****? She isn't undermining the country. Most of the country couldn't name an issue important to Alaskans anymore than they could name an issue important to Iowans. Calm down. Mkay?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #55
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Perhaps you have once again failed to read the article you posted? Would you be so kind as to point out how my summarization of your article is false? Or are you just going to pretend that you are capable of arguing on a level that the rest of forum does? It would be most entertaining to add this thread to the list of where your own article was not what you thought it was.
    Let's make it easy. You're taking the stance that if someone is PRO-Life they don't CARE about liberty, ignoring that the life in PRO-Life is an unborn child whose rights mean nothing to people like you. Kinda odd to try and claim one is against Liberty when one is for saving innocent lives.

    Love the completely absurd
    are for leaving children to die in the cold
    that shows a seriously lack of HONESTY on your part. Could you site where any Pro-Life person advocates or promotes letting children die in the cold. We'll all wait while you run from the thread and never return OR watch as you come up with another absurdity to justify the first absurdity.

    And finally that last part about letting your mother die rather then study a bunch of cells. What poppycock loaded rhetoric you use. Dishonest rhetoric at that. You ignore the moral and ethical debate at the heart of the embryonic stem cell debate and instead inject hyper-emotionalism to bolster a weak position. Embryonic Stem Cell Research is touted as having great potential yet for all it's potential has shown little actual result. Where as Adult Stem Cell Research is producing solutions now.

    You are free however to stay on emotionalism, that's very easy to deconstruct.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #56
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,047

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Embryonic Stem Cell Research is touted as having great potential yet for all it's potential has shown little actual result.
    And then people wonder why the American right is considered to be ignorant of science. Do tell us MrVicchio what does 'potential' have to do with 'result' on a scientific level? Before it was actually attempted on an operating table transplating a heart had the potential to save somebody's life. It was until it was actually tried that results were obtained. That is why that particular argument falls flat on its face. Stem cell research by scientific standards is an extremely new field. To expect results for it immediately is not only ignorant of the amount of research which goes in finding the knowledge to obtain cures but simply dishonest. I guess it's only right that it would be you that made such arguments then. But here, considering you're making the argument that because results are not yet here then it's not worth to continue exploring what do you say of scientists attempting to extract stem cells without destroying the embryo but as of yet haven't had any results? Do you propose they stop doing that too?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #57
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And then people wonder why the American right is considered to be ignorant of science. Do tell us MrVicchio what does 'potential' have to do with 'result' on a scientific level? Before it was actually attempted on an operating table transplating a heart had the potential to save somebody's life. It was until it was actually tried that results were obtained. That is why that particular argument falls flat on its face. Stem cell research by scientific standards is an extremely new field. To expect results for it immediately is not only ignorant of the amount of research which goes in finding the knowledge to obtain cures but simply dishonest. I guess it's only right that it would be you that made such arguments then. But here, considering you're making the argument that because results are not yet here then it's not worth to continue exploring what do you say of scientists attempting to extract stem cells without destroying the embryo but as of yet haven't had any results? Do you propose they stop doing that too?
    Wow starts out with a personal insult -rptdbtw- Embryonic Stem Cell Research hasn't shown results, where as Adult Stem Cell Research is. What criteria do you want? Can you show where I want said research "Stopped" or you can point to what I AM doing; Questioning the logic in using Tax Payer money to research an ethically and morally divisive issue.

    Carry on with your commentary Hatuey.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And then people wonder why the American right is considered to be ignorant of science. Do tell us MrVicchio what does 'potential' have to do with 'result' on a scientific level?
    My money, for one thing.

    Dead babies, for another.

    The fact that ESCR hasn't shown a single promising application in three decades of research is yet another.

    The fact that the nation can't afford to waste money on blind alleys that the Constitution doesn't even allow the federal government to explore is a fourth.

    Then there's the minor fact that a new skin graft grown from embryonic stem cells doesn't do the recipient much good since he'll still have to go through anti-rejection drugs for the rest of his life, whether the alien donor is an adult human or a murdered baby. That victim needs technology that will turn his own adult stem cells into his own genuine non-intruder replacement parts.

    It's too damn bad that Micheal J Fox has the twitches, but that's not sufficient reason to murder babies.

    But here, considering you're making the argument that because results are not yet here then it's not worth to continue exploring what do you say of scientists attempting to extract stem cells without destroying the embryo but as of yet haven't had any results? Do you propose they stop doing that too?
    Since I do not agree that one innocent person should be murdered solely to save the life of another, you don't seem to have anything in your arsenal.

    One man's death should not be prevented by killing another man simply to harvest his organs.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Wow starts out with a personal insult -rptdbtw- Embryonic Stem Cell Research hasn't shown results, where as Adult Stem Cell Research is. What criteria do you want? Can you show where I want said research "Stopped" or you can point to what I AM doing; Questioning the logic in using Tax Payer money to research an ethically and morally divisive issue.

    Carry on with your commentary Hatuey.
    More importantly than that, the federal government lacks the Constitutional authority to delve into biological research.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,047

    Re: Sen. Lisa Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Wow starts out with a personal insult -rptdbtw-
    You like doing it too. Quit your crying.

    Embryonic Stem Cell Research hasn't shown results,
    You keep repeating this but it doesn't make it true:

    Pros & Cons of Embryonic Stem Cell Research

    In August 2005, Harvard University scientists announced a break-through discovery that fuses "blank" embryonic stem cells with adult skin cells, rather than with fertilized embryos, to create all-purpose stem cells viable to treat diseases and disabilities.
    Stem cell research breakthrough reported - UPI.com

    GAINESVILLE, Fla., Oct. 14 (UPI) -- U.S. scientists said they have discovered that as embryonic stem cells turn into various cell types, DNA replication and organizational changes also occur.

    The research, termed groundbreaking, was led by Florida State University Professor David Gilbert. He said the findings "bridge a critical knowledge gap for stem cell biologists, enabling them to better understand the enormously complex process by which DNA is repackaged during differentiation" -- when embryonic stem cells adopt specialized functions.
    Stem Cell research breakthrough in Jerusalem | StarTribune.com

    “A new technology developed at Hadassah University Medical Center has made it possible to produce large amounts of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) for industry and research by growing them in suspension. Until now, hESCs – which have the potential of ripening into any other type of body cells for repair of tissues and organs – have been created in small numbers.”- Judy Seigel-Itzkovitch.
    In the past stem cells have been grown on beds in one layer. The Hadassah researchers were able to cultivate the stem cells for the first time in large vats with precise, computerized monitoring of growth conditions.
    The procedure, in which researchers from stem cell company Stemagen removed nuclei from the skin cells of two adult men and put them inside a fertilized and emptied-out egg, is already known to scientists and the public. It’s the first step of cloning — either therapeutic cloning, in which embryos provide stem cells for potential medical use, or reproductive cloning, in which embryos grow into a new person.

    Both therapeutic and reproductive cloning are still in their early stages — the latter because it’s globally abhorred, the former because it’s scientifically tricky. If scientists can figure out how to make viable embryonic stem cells from a clone, the human race would be a lot closer to personalized stem cell treatments, with new limbs and disease cures promised to anyone with a few spare skin flakes and enough money to foot the bill.


    Read More Stem Cell Breakthrough, Sort Of | Wired Science | Wired.com
    What criteria do you want? Can you show where I want said research "Stopped" or you can point to what I AM doing; Questioning the logic in using Tax Payer money to research an ethically and morally divisive issue.

    Carry on with your commentary Hatuey.
    Oh what bull****,

    ABCNEWS.com : Public Backs Stem Cell Research

    June 26 — Americans by a 2-1 margin support stem cell research and say it should be funded by the federal government, despite controversy over its use of human embryos.
    Most Americans Uphold Stem Cell Research: Angus Reid Global Monitor

    (Angus Reid Global Monitor) - Many adults in the United States support a specific type of scientific investigation, according to a poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. 51 per cent of respondents believe it is more important to conduct stem cell research that might result in new medical cures, while 35 per cent think not destroying the potential life of human embryos involved in this research is paramount.
    Gallup Poll: Sixty Percent of Americans Say Embryonic Stem Cell Research Morally Acceptable - God & Country (usnews.com)

    WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A majority of Americans likely support President Barack Obama's executive order Monday doing away with the rules on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research that were in place under the Bush administration. In a Gallup Poll conducted last month, 38% of Americans said they support easing those restrictions and another 14% said they favor no restrictions at all. About 4 in 10 Americans favor keeping the Bush restrictions or eliminating federal funding altogether.
    This 'morally' and 'ethically' dividing issue is no more so than sex education and yet sex education is fully legal and federally funded. This is only an issue for people like you, who are, for all intended purposes ignorant of scientific advancements and place the 'potential for life' that goo on a petri dish has above the more believable potential of science finding a (shocking - I know) cure for people who are actually, you know, walking among us.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •