Page 78 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1076

Thread: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

  1. #771
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And that is correct, let me break it down for you. Person A makes $20k per year, and pays all in Fed, State, and local taxes of a combined $3k per year. Now they take EIC's and take advantage of other breaks in the absurd tax code in this country and end up with a federal rebate of $1400. and a state refund of $1200. In addition they get a $600 child care credit making their total liability in total taxation of a net -$200. for that year. Not only did they not pay any tax, but got a subsidy from you, from me, from America.

    Now you tell me Why should person A get what I make as person B?

    j-mac
    Just Because

  2. #772
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And that is correct, let me break it down for you. Person A makes $20k per year, and pays all in Fed, State, and local taxes of a combined $3k per year. Now they take EIC's and take advantage of other breaks in the absurd tax code in this country and end up with a federal rebate of $1400. and a state refund of $1200. In addition they get a $600 child care credit making their total liability in total taxation of a net -$200. for that year. Not only did they not pay any tax, but got a subsidy from you, from me, from America.

    Now you tell me Why should person A get what I make as person B?

    j-mac
    Again, the 47% number is inaccurate. Most do pay taxes. Only 10% pay no federal tax. If you want to whine that we have a progressive tax, as we have had and as nearly all countries have, go ahead. But be factually correct in your whining.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #773
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, the 47% number is inaccurate. Most do pay taxes. Only 10% pay no federal tax. If you want to whine that we have a progressive tax, as we have had and as nearly all countries have, go ahead. But be factually correct in your whining.
    so you are basing your claim of the 47% number being wrong as established by these people:

    The Tax Policy Center is a joint venture of the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution. The Center is made up of nationally recognized experts in tax, budget, and social policy who have served at the highest levels of government.

    TPC About Us | About the Tax Policy Center
    Hmmmm...The Urban Institute, and Brookings....Certainly no "Beckish" types there....So why are they wrong?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #774
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    so you are basing your claim of the 47% number being wrong as established by these people:



    Hmmmm...The Urban Institute, and Brookings....Certainly no "Beckish" types there....So why are they wrong?


    j-mac
    No, Based on the facts. It's that the number is wrong, it is how you are using it that is wrong. Do you read what is posted?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #775
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, the 47% number is inaccurate. Most do pay taxes. Only 10% pay no federal tax. If you want to whine that we have a progressive tax, as we have had and as nearly all countries have, go ahead. But be factually correct in your whining.
    It's one reason those countries suck, and we're following suit.

    Where does it say in our founding docs that the government is to play chief redistributor? Nowhere.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #776
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Where does it say in our founding docs that the government is to play chief redistributor?
    It says that right here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Article One of the United States Constitution, section 8, clause 18
    “ The Congress shall have Power - To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
    Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

  7. #777
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    It's one reason those countries suck, and we're following suit.

    Where does it say in our founding docs that the government is to play chief redistributor? Nowhere.

    .
    Here is the direction Boo and his ilk will take this country. I just don't understand how anyone can support this kind of tax structure.

    Current European tax rates:
    United Kingdom
    Income Tax: 50% VAT: 17.5% TOTAL: 67.5%

    France
    Income Tax: 40% VAT: 19.6% TOTAL: 59.6%

    Greece
    Income Tax: 40% VAT: 25% TOTAL: 65%

    Spain
    Income Tax: 45% VAT: 16% TOTAL: 61%

    Portugal
    Income Tax: 42% VAT: 20% TOTAL: 62%

    Sweden
    Income Tax: 55% VAT: 25% TOTAL: 80%

    Norway
    Income Tax: 54.3% VAT: 25% TOTAL: 79.3%

    Netherlands
    Income Tax: 52% VAT: 19% TOTAL: 71%

    Denmark
    Income Tax: 58% VAT: 25% TOTAL: 83%

    Finland
    Income Tax: 53% VAT: 22% TOTAL: 75%

  8. #778
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    [QUOTE=Conservative;1059061763]Here is the direction Boo and his ilk will take this country. I just don't understand how anyone can support this kind of tax structure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Here is the direction Boo and his ilk will take this country. I just don't understand how anyone can support this kind of tax structure.

    Current European tax rates:
    United Kingdom
    Income Tax: 50% VAT: 17.5% TOTAL: 67.5%

    France
    Income Tax: 40% VAT: 19.6% TOTAL: 59.6%

    Greece
    Income Tax: 40% VAT: 25% TOTAL: 65%

    Spain
    Income Tax: 45% VAT: 16% TOTAL: 61%

    Portugal
    Income Tax: 42% VAT: 20% TOTAL: 62%

    Sweden
    Income Tax: 55% VAT: 25% TOTAL: 80%

    Norway
    Income Tax: 54.3% VAT: 25% TOTAL: 79.3%

    Netherlands
    Income Tax: 52% VAT: 19% TOTAL: 71%

    Denmark
    Income Tax: 58% VAT: 25% TOTAL: 83%

    Finland
    Income Tax: 53% VAT: 22% TOTAL: 75%
    It's in our founding docs... LOL... I didn't realize The Founders were Marxists. I guess that's why the fed income tax instituted in 1913 was...7% on incomes above $500,000 ($10 million 2007 dollars).

    We've come a long way. Now it's time to roll back the Marxists.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  9. #779
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It says that right here:



    Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

    Sure you can be of further assistance. Tell us why it is that you are either purposely, or unwittingly misreading this clause?

    Clause 18 as I read it states that Congress has the authority to make sure that the preceding clauses are followed to the letter. Not make **** up as they go, nor take increasing levels of taxation.

    If you read clause 18 carefully it states:

    " The Congress shall have Power - To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers..."

    without going into long winded explanations about what is "proper and necessary" Lets focus on "Exceution of the foregoing powers"

    To do that you start with the first clause:

    "Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

    Now, please explain how redistribution of the countries wealth fits into uniform taxation?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #780
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    It's one reason those countries suck, and we're following suit.

    Where does it say in our founding docs that the government is to play chief redistributor? Nowhere.

    .
    It's not new. We're not following suit, we've nearly always had some form of a progressive tax. Again, as most countries always have had. And no one has made any claim about redistributing anything. This is just more of the old unoriginal scare tactic your side is using right now. Don't confuse it with fact.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 78 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •