Page 36 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 1076

Thread: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

  1. #351
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    When would be the right time to raise taxes? There is no evidence that not raising them will help jobs. In fact, someone has a link to a study showing that it wouldn't. But not taxing will add to the debt. So, logically, based on this, what should we do? How much do we really care about the deficit?
    Now is the right time to cut spending. Ditching Obama Care would be a great start. It's a redundent program.

    "Uninsured" does NOT mean can't get health care. The HRSA on-line finder has a low cost/no cost Federally funded Health clinics.

    Federally-funded health centers care for you, even if you have no health insurance. You pay what you can afford, based on your income. Health centers provide

    1. checkups when you're well
    2. treatment when you're sick
    3. complete care when you're pregnant
    4. immunizations and checkups for your children
    5. dental care and prescription drugs for your family
    6. mental health and substance abuse care if you need it

    Health centers are in most cities and many rural areas. Type in your address and click the 'Find Health Centers' button to find health centers near you.

    HRSA - Find a Health Center - Search Page
    There are many State and County programs you can find on line as well.

    Now when you take away all the people with access to these Health Care programs, how many actually have no access.

    The clinics aren't as convenient, you may have to wait in line. But, Health Care is out there for those without insurance. I am currently with out health insurance and use my counties health care system for only $10 more than my old insurance co-pay with health net of $25.

    If we're going to get a handle on the deficit, spending must be cut. Dumping every one of Obama's advisory panels and Czars along with their staffs would help as well.
    Last edited by Prof. Peabody; 10-04-10 at 11:21 PM.

  2. #352
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by jkohn51192 View Post
    if it werent for the republicans scaring the crap out of people and telling them that they are going to be paying more taxes, in effect causing democrats poll numbers to drop, basically telling democrats that the tax break issue is too hot to handle at the moment, we would have had this issue solved already.
    that's why the party punted?

    leadership refused to act cuz it was scared opposition would scare crap outta people, causing dem poll numbers to drop?

    that's pathetic

    leadership, i mean

    meanwhile, america, WAKE UP---YOU ARE LOOKING AT AN INCREASED TAX BILL OF ABOUT 4000 DOLLARS PER YEAR STARTING IN ABOUT 90 DAYS!

    see gibbs get grilled for pushing such a lame line---by the likes of CHUCK TODD, CHIP REID, JAKE TAPPER and mara liason

    RealClearPolitics - Video - Press Batters Gibbs Over Blaming GOP For No Tax Cuts

    we couldn't act on the extension of the bush cuts, which obnoxious obama himself declared must NOT be raised on the middle class in times like these...

    we couldn't move, not now, not in lame duck, not on the middle class, not on higher earners...

    we can offer NO assurances, no leadership---in times like these---beyond, "we might be able to address something somehow in december..."

    and all because REPUBLICANS WILL SCARE CRAP OUTTA PEOPLE

    LOL!

    THIS is competent leadership to you, to anyone?

    wow

  3. #353
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by jkohn51192 View Post
    It's all about economics, put that tax break money into people who will actually spend it ( middle class) verus people who will just save it ( because economic times are uncertain) and you can expect that demand will increase ( now that people have more money to spend) and that will therefore create a demand for work. Thus more jobs.
    then why did the party punt?

  4. #354
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by jkohn51192 View Post
    rather than blaming democrats, why don't you just blame the republicans....
    It worked in 2006 and 2008, why not keep on running the same play.

  5. #355
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Now is the right time to cut spending. Ditching Obama Care would be a great start. It's a redundent program.

    "Uninsured" does NOT mean can't get health care. The HRSA on-line finder has a low cost/no cost Federally funded Health clinics.



    There are many State and County programs you can find on line as well.

    Now when you take away all the people with access to these Health Care programs, how many actually have no access.

    The clinics aren't as convenient, you may have to wait in line. But, Health Care is out there for those without insurance. I am currently with out health insurance and use my counties health care system for only $10 more than my old insurance co-pay with health net of $25.

    If we're going to get a handle on the deficit, spending must be cut. Dumping every one of Obama's advisory panels and Czars along with their staffs would help as well.
    Well, you're clearly not too familiar with how those clinics actually work. Some of that care is as bad or worse than having no care. But they cost as well. And we pay. This is important to understand. Even doing nothing means we pay, just less effectively, payong more for less.

    And yes, spending must be cut (an taxes raised selectively). We agree on that. But we should not cut spending that helps. We should cut spending that isn't needed as much. I would much rather pay for health care and stop spending on two needless wars, . .. for example.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 10-05-10 at 09:45 AM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #356
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by jkohn51192 View Post
    What you also forgot to mention was that during 2000-2006 Republicans held all three branches of government under their control, and the deficit increased at a rate never seen before in history.

    Yes. And what were the circumstances at that time?

    Clinton handed Bush a recession that was exacerbated by 9/11.
    We were at war in two different countries at the same time (whether you agree with the wars or not is irrelevant)
    And toward the end the scheme invented, and defended by demo's to give out home loans based on nothing was crumbling despite efforts by repubs to warn congress what was happening.

    Nice try at rewriting history there....

    Oh, now your going to say, but Obama-Reid-Pelosi did it too, what you also forgot to mention is that Bush left us with an economy that was losing 750,000 jobs A MONTH, and something needed to be done.
    What is the net number of jobs gained for Obama's term so far?

    By basic principles of economics, the best thing you can do in a recession is cut taxes, and increase government spending.
    What specific tax cuts are you referring to?

    hat's exactly what he did, and to make money, you have to spend money, So he spent money.... and its now paying off.
    Really? In what parallel universe?

    The stimulus took effect in Febuary '09, give it about 4-5 months to take effect and the number of jobs lost significantly increased, and we actually created jobs. Since that time, we have had 8 months of consecutive job creation IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR.
    That is a pure lie. There has not been one month during the Obama Presidency that can boast a net jobs creation gain against filed unemployment for any particular month. These are merely more pap and talking point rhetoric designed to deceive the American public. Looks like you fell for it.


    Main point is: Democrats deficit spend less than republicans, when republicans deficit spend its because we are at war
    Yep, a war Obama is not intent on winning. You libs are amazing. You hounded Bush for the entire 8 years over war time spending, when during that time this excuse of yours here, would have never flown......

    or need to give tax breaks to the rich people
    See here is the big lie. You say that the Bush tax cuts were only for the rich people, then in almost the same breath you talk of extending the tax cuts for the middle class... It really is nothing but class warfare crap.

    and when democrats do deficit spend, it is because it's nessecary,or we need to give taxes breaks to the middle class( which is usually in time of an economic crisis to stimulate the economy) take for example this recession.
    Obama has had more deficit spending in his first 20 months than ALL Presidents prior combined!!!!!!


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #357
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Despite the Republican scoffing, Obama’s claims are backed up by the historical record — mostly.

    ■Budget surplus in 2000: The Congressional Budget Office reported on Nov. 14, 2000, in its Monthly Budget Review: "Fiscal year 2000 ended with a total budget surplus of $237 billion."
    ■Deficit when Obama took office: By the time Obama took office, that black ink had turned to gushers of red. "CBO projects that the deficit this year will total $1.2 trillion," CBO said in its "Budget and Economic Outlook." That was released Jan. 8, 2009, days before Obama’s inauguration. Update Feb 5: The $1.2 trillion projection would have been $966 billion had CBO been accounting for mortgage losses then the way they were eventually treated in the official deficit figures. See clarification below.
    So the president actually understated matters regarding annual surpluses and deficits for years past, but he may have strained the facts when he spoke of what was being predicted for future years at the time he assumed office. He said he inherited a projected 10-year deficit of $8 trillion. But at the time, CBO projected only a $3.1 trillion deficit over 10 years (Table 4, page 15).

    In fairness, that CBO figure assumed that all of President Bush’s tax cuts would be allowed to expire on schedule. And in reality, Obama and congressional Democrats supported extending many of the cuts, while Republicans supported extending all of them. Extending all of the Bush tax cuts would add another $2.9 trillion to that (Table 7, page 22), for a total of $6 trillion — still short of Obama’s claim.

    Obama’s State of the Union Address | FactCheck.org

    Browse > Home / The FactCheck Wire / A Texas-size Whopper
    A Texas-size Whopper
    February 1, 2010
    Texas Rep. Jeb Hensarling, at a nationally televised meeting of House Republicans in Baltimore, accused President Obama to his face of running up deficits a dozen times greater than the GOP’s. The president said, "That’s factually just not true, and you know it’s not true," and he invited "any independent fact-checker out there" to assess which man got the facts right.

    OK, we will.

    We have to score this one for Obama. Hensarling told a Texas-size whopper — and then tried to claim Republican credit for Blll Clinton’s budget surpluses.

    A Texas-size Whopper | FactCheck.org

    Just saying . . . .

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #358
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, you're clearly not too familiar with how those clinics actually work. Some of that care is as bad or worse than having no care. But they cost as well. And we pay. This is important to understand. Even doing nothing means we pay, just less effectively, payong more for less.

    And yes, spending must be cut (an taxes raised selectively). We agree on that. But we should not cut spending that helps. We should cut spending that isn't needed as much. I would much rather pay for health care and stop spending on two needless wars, . .. for example.

    Joe, two questions if I could....

    1. What do you see is the end perception in the world should the US just abandon its efforts in the ME?

    2. How do we know that the HC law from Obama will help? Do you even know everything that is in it yet?

    Instead of regurgitating talking points from the DNC, and Daily KOS how about you actually explain what will happen should these policies that so far have failed, will help?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #359
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Despite the Republican scoffing, Obama’s claims are backed up by the historical record — mostly.

    ■Budget surplus in 2000: The Congressional Budget Office reported on Nov. 14, 2000, in its Monthly Budget Review: "Fiscal year 2000 ended with a total budget surplus of $237 billion."
    ■Deficit when Obama took office: By the time Obama took office, that black ink had turned to gushers of red. "CBO projects that the deficit this year will total $1.2 trillion," CBO said in its "Budget and Economic Outlook." That was released Jan. 8, 2009, days before Obama’s inauguration. Update Feb 5: The $1.2 trillion projection would have been $966 billion had CBO been accounting for mortgage losses then the way they were eventually treated in the official deficit figures. See clarification below.
    So the president actually understated matters regarding annual surpluses and deficits for years past, but he may have strained the facts when he spoke of what was being predicted for future years at the time he assumed office. He said he inherited a projected 10-year deficit of $8 trillion. But at the time, CBO projected only a $3.1 trillion deficit over 10 years (Table 4, page 15).

    In fairness, that CBO figure assumed that all of President Bush’s tax cuts would be allowed to expire on schedule. And in reality, Obama and congressional Democrats supported extending many of the cuts, while Republicans supported extending all of them. Extending all of the Bush tax cuts would add another $2.9 trillion to that (Table 7, page 22), for a total of $6 trillion — still short of Obama’s claim.

    Obama’s State of the Union Address | FactCheck.org

    Browse > Home / The FactCheck Wire / A Texas-size Whopper
    A Texas-size Whopper
    February 1, 2010
    Texas Rep. Jeb Hensarling, at a nationally televised meeting of House Republicans in Baltimore, accused President Obama to his face of running up deficits a dozen times greater than the GOP’s. The president said, "That’s factually just not true, and you know it’s not true," and he invited "any independent fact-checker out there" to assess which man got the facts right.

    OK, we will.

    We have to score this one for Obama. Hensarling told a Texas-size whopper — and then tried to claim Republican credit for Blll Clinton’s budget surpluses.

    A Texas-size Whopper | FactCheck.org

    Just saying . . . .

    Wow!, just Wow! You really must think that the American people are stupid.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #360
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Joe, two questions if I could....

    1. What do you see is the end perception in the world should the US just abandon its efforts in the ME?

    2. How do we know that the HC law from Obama will help? Do you even know everything that is in it yet?

    Instead of regurgitating talking points from the DNC, and Daily KOS how about you actually explain what will happen should these policies that so far have failed, will help?


    j-mac
    1. Nothing. I'm not and have never said we don't take concern for the ME seriously. Just not recklessly. Our wars have done nothing to protect our interests or make us safer. Especially in Iraq all we did is help our eneimes. It was a stupid and reckless war. And our interests would have been better served without that reckless war.

    2. We know plenty about the bill. It needs improvement, and a public option would have been a far better help. But, we had to have a first step, or we'd have been left with noting yet again. Republicans give lip serivce to this issue. In all the years they were in power, nothing of substance or actual help was ever passed.

    And j, I don't reguritate, especially from things I never read. And you've shown time and again that you don't like explination for it is too nuanced for you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 36 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •