Page 33 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 1076

Thread: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

  1. #321
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    OK, I'm feeling bad. Maybe I have been too harsh with you, but you didn't seem to understand the meat of my orginal comment. Profit from taxes is not enough to intice new jobs if there is not enough people spending to warrant it. I thought this was obvious, but you seem to skip right past it. Lower taxes don't and can't prove enough profit to ignore the realities of consumer spending.

    Your snarky reply irritated me, but maybe I was too snarky in return. I'll try and give your the ebenfit of the doubt one more time. But try to respond to the argument and without being too snarky. I'll try and do the same. Or we can forget.
    First you claim that I called you ignorant, when I did not, then....

    You call me an idiot.....

    and I'M the one being snarky ?????

    You're about as funny as Colbert.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  2. #322
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    ...But what you suggests seems like an effort to remove the people from the process altogether.
    Because he wants term limits to eliminate career politicians? I can't make the connection.

  3. #323
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    Because he wants term limits to eliminate career politicians? I can't make the connection.
    Say the people like a person doing a good job. People would no longer be able to choose him. but that wasn't my point.

    he suggests we need term limits because people won't let politicians get rid of things like Medicare or SS. When I noted people wouldn't re-elect a politician who did this, he siad that's why we need term limits. I don't see how I can't conclude that he wants leaders who will do what people don't want, thus taking people out of the equation. Do you think I have that wrong?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #324
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    First you claim that I called you ignorant, when I did not, then....

    You call me an idiot.....

    and I'M the one being snarky ?????

    You're about as funny as Colbert.
    Read the first sentence of your response. Yes, you refered to the comment (made by me) and then responded as if you really didn't understand what was said. Going off on a direction that had nothing to do with the point.

    Not sure AI called you an idiot, but I'd have to look back. I say it is silly to suggest tax cuts mean less, much, much less, than people buying the product or sevice.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #325
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    I agree, but people won't start spending again until the media stops scaring them with gloom and doom...

    ricksfolly
    There is some truth to that. Too bad scary sells.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #326
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    First you claim that I called you ignorant, when I did not, then....

    You call me an idiot.....

    and I'M the one being snarky ?????

    You're about as funny as Colbert.
    BTW, in terms of support:


    "A company will hire if they think they can make a profit off what they think the worker will produce," said Leonard Burman, a public finance expert at Syracuse University's Maxwell School. If expansion would yield more profit, "it doesn't matter whether the employer gets to keep 60 or 65 percent of the additional profit."

    Read more: Would ending Bush tax cuts hurt small businesses? | McClatchy

    Since some seem to need opinion over actual historical data.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #327
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    term limits won't fix the fundamental problem. The people don't want this done away with. if the people are going to be ignored completely, we might as well have a dictator or system that gives no voice to the people.
    I agree, funny though how liberals seem to have no problem completely ignoring "the people" who don't want gay marriage.

    I don't see the difference.

    If we shouldn't get rid of SS because the people want it, why should we allow gay marriage when the people don't want it?

    Setting term limits is not about "removing the people from the process"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #328
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I agree, funny though how liberals seem to have no problem completely ignoring "the people" who don't want gay marriage.

    I don't see the difference.

    If we shouldn't get rid of SS because the people want it, why should we allow gay marriage when the people don't want it?

    Setting term limits is not about "removing the people from the process"
    That's about the law though. If we did a poll, we might find more people want the rich to give us all their money or that guns should be banned, but we don't do that because the law says we can't. So, while we should be concerned about the people, and the people have a say, there are limits to that say. Our founding fathers did speak about the posible tyranny of a majority. So, it's kind of an apples / oranges thing that you bring up.

    Also, I made no judgment on what we should do about SS. I only pointed out that politicians may well lose their jobs if they got rid of it. SOme may lose their jobs based on same sex marriage as well. The difference is the law speaks to SSM and not as much on SS.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #329
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    BTW, in terms of support:


    "A company will hire if they think they can make a profit off what they think the worker will produce," said Leonard Burman, a public finance expert at Syracuse University's Maxwell School. If expansion would yield more profit, "it doesn't matter whether the employer gets to keep 60 or 65 percent of the additional profit."

    Read more: Would ending Bush tax cuts hurt small businesses? | McClatchy

    Since some seem to need opinion over actual historical data.
    I am not in the camp that says raising taxes to 39% will destroy growth. I will take issue with the statement that tax rates at any level do not matter, as long as there is some profit left over.

    Companies look at the economic profit expected on an investment. This is calculated in after tax dollars. The hurdle rate at a minimum is the cost of capital plus some expected return. Companies that just look at absolute profit and not making sure they are returning more than their cost of capital are poorly run and eventually are not sustainable.

  10. #330
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I am not in the camp that says raising taxes to 39% will destroy growth. I will take issue with the statement that tax rates at any level do not matter, as long as there is some profit left over.

    Companies look at the economic profit expected on an investment. This is calculated in after tax dollars. The hurdle rate at a minimum is the cost of capital plus some expected return. Companies that just look at absolute profit and not making sure they are returning more than their cost of capital are poorly run and eventually are not sustainable.
    I don't think it matters in terms of growth or adding new jobs. I don't believe a company says we could sell more product or service, making a larger profit, but the tax increease from 36% to 39% makes that untenable. We've going to have to forgo new jobs.

    While I believe everything is considered and weighted, and try to avoid absolutes, when I speak of it not mattering, I mean in context of the discussion, that the small increase will hinder growth and job creation to any measurable degree. I see no evidence that it will. The more important factor in growth is the profit made by more sales and more business.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 33 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •