Page 26 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1076

Thread: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

  1. #251
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    To think you can look at the current minor tax cuts and say they didn't help is right because half the job was left undone.

    You don't have to go back into history to see that what I say is right just look at what the threats Obama has made to raise taxes and spend what we don't have on programs that don't work to create jobs that never came and the unemplotment rate is still at 9.6 Nationally and about 12.4 in California the biggest single economy and contributor to the Nations economy.

    What is it you said? oh yes: "I'm perfectly willing to look at objective evidence." You say that but ignore the evidence that clearly shows Obama's " current level of spending is irresponsible and outrageous. We are spending trillions that we don't have. This could lead to hyperinflation, depression or worse. No country has ever spent themselves into prosperity."

    That is my opinion but it is the words of Dr. Charles Krauthammer, MD who helped develop the "Reagan Doctrine" in the 80's that cut taxes dramatically hld spening down and turn the Nation back from the edge of desperation and the deep dark abyss Carter was pushing us into.
    We've been spending irresponsibly for a long, long time, regardless of party in charge. I can't think nof anything more irresponsiable than raising spending and cutting taxes as was done under the last administation. Telling people we can fight two wars and not have to pay for it was incredibly irresponsible.

    That said, I have not argued anyone's irresponsible spending is OK. So, you seem to be arguing some stereotype and not addressing me specificly.

    Let me state my position one more time. I favor cutting spending and raising taxes. And in with all respect for Charles Krauthammer, his partisan and ideaological opinion aside, he simply doesn't get a lot of this right. And he wasn't right then, ignoring Reagan's deficit spending of the time as he does.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #252
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    Boo, this is logic biting you on the ass. Can you feel it? Is it distrubing you?

    The purpose of business is to make profit (you do not dispute this). Tax cuts mean more profit (I don't think you can dispute this). More profit leads to more jobs (not sure whether you dispute this, but I think history would preempt that effort). You say this is irrelevant to the discussion when it is the whole point of the discussion.

    Now I'm distrubed.
    You're find up until your third point. More profit does not automatically mean more jobs. More people buying means more jobs, not profits from tax cuts. You simply fall for a unsupported claim without digging deeper to find objective proof to support your claim. There is no evidence that tax cuts result in jobs. In fact, the most recent study says they don't. We have a thread on it somewhere.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #253
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Some like Ed Schultz of MSNBC’s the Ed Show claim that keeping the tax cuts in place won’t help the economy and create jobs. This is a fact he tried to make when I was on his show last week.

    Pro-growth tax cuts such as reductions of marginal income tax rates and lower tax rates on capital gains and dividends always create jobs. But extending the tax cuts is not cutting taxes. It is keeping in place the tax code we’ve had for the last decade. As such, extending the tax cuts would not create new incentives for businesses to hire and individuals to save and invest. On the other hand, allowing the tax relief to expire would be a substantial tax increase that would destroy countless jobs.

    Despite my reiterating these points numerous times, Schultz has since misrepresented my point by claiming the Heritage Foundation said “the tax cuts won’t create jobs.” This could not be further from the truth.

    If Congress allows the cuts to expire, for all taxpayers or just those making more than $250,000 a year, the already anemic economic recovery will slow further. Higher taxes on top-earners will hit job creators like small businesses and investors the hardest. This will reduce job creation and lower wages.

    Unless we all want the unemployment rate to linger at 10 percent or above, Congress should make permanent the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts for all taxpayers as soon as it comes back from recess. Although this would only solidify the tax code where it has been for a decade, removing the uncertainly businesses and individuals are experiencing would itself be a boon to the economy. With renewed certainty about their tax positions, job creators will get off the sidelines and start investing. A temporary extension won’t do the trick. That would only be a signal to individuals and businesses that Congress plans to raise their taxes further down the road.

    http://blog.heritage.org/2010/08/02/...tage-position/
    Your silly premise is that somehow the American people will unleash some glorious spending spree on the nation and pull us back from Obama's folly. Well, I put it to you Joe, How in the hell can Americans start spending more, when they don't have a job, or do have one that dosen't pay well enough to create surplus cash to spend? And if they do have that surplus, liberals like you want Obama to take it for redistribution.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #254
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're find up until your third point. More profit does not automatically mean more jobs. More people buying means more jobs, not profits from tax cuts. You simply fall for a unsupported claim without digging deeper to find objective proof to support your claim. There is no evidence that tax cuts result in jobs. In fact, the most recent study says they don't. We have a thread on it somewhere.
    What an absurd comment. More people buying does not necessarily mean anything more than either a high demand for a product/service or a low price. If a company sells more because they have lower prices, additional employees are not always necessary.

    Bottom line.... profits are a requirement before additional employees can be hired. The profit can come from higher margins on goods and services, lower material costs, lower payroll, or lower taxes. It can come from any or all of the above, but it must come from somewhere before new employees can be justified.

    Have you ever signed the front of a payroll check ???

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #255
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    What an absurd comment. More people buying does not necessarily mean anything more than either a high demand for a product/service or a low price. If a company sells more because they have lower prices, additional employees are not always necessary.

    Bottom line.... profits are a requirement before additional employees can be hired. The profit can come from higher margins on goods and services, lower material costs, lower payroll, or lower taxes. It can come from any or all of the above, but it must come from somewhere before new employees can be justified.

    Have you ever signed the front of a payroll check ???

    No he hasn't.....He told me long ago, that he was a Teacher....Whether or not he was telling the truth? Who knows? Hell, he even lied about who he was when he first appeared here sooooooo....

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #256
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    What an absurd comment. More people buying does not necessarily mean anything more than either a high demand for a product/service or a low price. If a company sells more because they have lower prices, additional employees are not always necessary.

    Bottom line.... profits are a requirement before additional employees can be hired. The profit can come from higher margins on goods and services, lower material costs, lower payroll, or lower taxes. It can come from any or all of the above, but it must come from somewhere before new employees can be justified.

    Have you ever signed the front of a payroll check ???
    So, supply and demand is not important? Tax cuts mean more than Supply and demand. And you talk about absurd comments.




    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #257
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No he hasn't.....He told me long ago, that he was a Teacher....Whether or not he was telling the truth? Who knows? Hell, he even lied about who he was when he first appeared here sooooooo....

    j-mac
    I figured. It's easy to tell by his inane comments.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #258
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No he hasn't.....He told me long ago, that he was a Teacher....Whether or not he was telling the truth? Who knows? Hell, he even lied about who he was when he first appeared here sooooooo....

    j-mac
    j, I'm fifty one years old. I've done nearly everything during my time. I didn't go to college until I was in my 30's. I've only been a teacher since 1998. I've told you this before as well.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #259
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, supply and demand is not important? Tax cuts mean more than Supply and demand. And you talk about absurd comments.



    Right over your head...... I'm shocked.

    Come back when you've had to worry about paying employees for a year or so.

    Come back when you've had to write out huge checks to the state and federal government for payroll taxes every month for a few years.

    Come back when you've had to go without a pay check so all your employees can get theirs.

    Teacher eh? Like they say, those that can do, those that can't, teach.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #260
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More Democrats break with Obama on tax cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Right over your head...... I'm shocked.

    Come back when you've had to worry about paying employees for a year or so.

    Come back when you've had to write out huge checks to the state and federal government for payroll taxes every month for a few years.

    Come back when you've had to go without a pay check so all your employees can get theirs.
    Ahhhhhh,. . . . the comment retreat of the silly and beaten.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 26 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •