Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 210

Thread: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

  1. #181
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    A little devils advocate

    Should I be allowed to go down the street shouting out your real name, your address, your phone number, your social security number, your credit card, bank account numbers and PINs? How about I publish a one page ad in the paper with your personal details and advising all your neighbors that you are a tier 3 multipe sex offender and child pornographer?

  2. #182
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    A little devils advocate

    Should I be allowed to go down the street shouting out your real name, your address, your phone number, your social security number, your credit card, bank account numbers and PINs? How about I publish a one page ad in the paper with your personal details and advising all your neighbors that you are a tier 3 multipe sex offender and child pornographer?
    Giving out someone's private information without their permission is not protected free speech, nor is advertising false information, slander or child pornography. Case in point.....

    Woman sentenced to jail for bestiality flier | The Salt Lake Tribune
    Last edited by Moot; 09-16-10 at 03:24 PM.

  3. #183
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    southern Arizona
    Last Seen
    09-16-10 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    What??!! He NEEDS to SUE! His being fired for exercising his freedom of expression and speech is unconstitutional! The courts have deemed flag burning as an act of free speech!

  4. #184
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Giving out someone's private information without their permission is not protected free speech, nor is advertising false information, slander or child pornography. Case in point.....

    Woman sentenced to jail for bestiality flier | The Salt Lake Tribune
    Ok...hmmmmm

    Has anyone ever been fired for burning the Holy Bible?

  5. #185
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Absolutely not. Then again, the constitution largely was set out to limit what the GOVERNMENT can do to people not what other people can do to people.
    Both parties entered into an agreement. Both should have the right to leave that agreement at any time. Freedom of association is a two way street.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    DA, do you really want to allow government officials to fire non-political workers who don't agree/support/vote for them? You'd be giving certain officials immense power to force government employees to do their political bidding. Normally, I'd support the employer's right to terminate at will, but given that we're talking about the government individual political freedom trumps the government's right to hire at will.
    What if a boss of a private company fired everyone who disagrees with him politically? Does a person fired from a private sector job for saying something political have their rights violated Pyschoclown? Doing this would be incredibly stupid and unpolitical, but that is their right. This person is free to say whatever they want; the government didn't punish them as a criminal. They just backed out of the once mutual agreement. If legislatures want to self-police and explicitly put forward legislation saying governments can't do that as they have in many situations, I don't have a problem with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    That's just incorrect. The government cannot fire people for exercising constitutionally protected rights or for being members of a particular race or religion in the vast majority of situations. From Garcetti v. Ceballos:
    I know what the Supreme court says; I disagree with them. The Constitution doesn't protect government jobs
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #186
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    I know what the Supreme court says; I disagree with them. The Constitution doesn't protect government jobs
    But it restricts the government, and the government may not discriminate along these lines. It was not appropriate for the government to fire this man for exercising his rights. It's still use of government force against the free rights and liberties of the individual and that action has been significantly restricted and regulated. Had he committed a criminal act, ok. But less he does that, the government may not discriminate upon him for his exercise of his rights. It's open and shut in terms of government intervention.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #187
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Ok...hmmmmm

    Has anyone ever been fired for burning the Holy Bible?
    I don't know. But people have probably been held in contempt of court for not swearing on the bible or taking an oath that said, "so help me God". But these days courts don't use swearing on the bible oaths much anymore. But then that isn't what I responded to when you were playing devils advocate.

  8. #188
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    But it restricts the government, and the government may not discriminate along these lines. It was not appropriate for the government to fire this man for exercising his rights. It's still use of government force against the free rights and liberties of the individual and that action has been significantly restricted and regulated. Had he committed a criminal act, ok. But less he does that, the government may not discriminate upon him for his exercise of his rights. It's open and shut in terms of government intervention.
    Do I like governments discriminating based on political belief, no, and I think that laws should be passed that specifically address this, but the government did nothing to violate his rights. They decided that they don't want to associate with him. You have the right to free speech. You don't have the right to a certain job.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  9. #189
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I hope he sues the everlovin **** out them for this.
    If he has a union they might protect him.

    Last edited by SheWolf; 09-16-10 at 08:02 PM.

  10. #190
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    He should. They are making a mockery of his right to free speech.
    Just because the dude exercised his freedom of speech, it doesn't mean he has freedom from the consequences of his speech. He isn't in jail for it, so I really don't see a violation of his constitutional rights occurring. Businesses and employers have freedom of speech too.

    Nobody has a constitutional right to a job, to get a job, or keep a job.
    Last edited by SheWolf; 09-16-10 at 08:03 PM.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •