Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 210

Thread: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

  1. #111
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    It's all about context. No, burning the Puerto Rican flag is not always covered. If you do it in a manner "Urging or instigating other persons to riot" or otherwise cause a disturbance.

    If you're at an event, and because of the time, place, and people involved the situation becomes volatile and you take some action that is meant to get the ball rolling and enrage people even further... No, that is not covered.

    Setting fire to something is often the symbolic/literal act of lighting a fuse. And if you are photographed doing this, your boss may feel your services are no longer needed. Clean out your locker.
    So because some people may be angry it's not protected speech anymore? How about blame the rioters instead of the people using the first amendment? Your argument is crap, end of story.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #112
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Do you have the same opinion about private businesses doing this?
    Absolutely not. Then again, the constitution largely was set out to limit what the GOVERNMENT can do to people not what other people can do to people.

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    Any Islamic extremist could or want to cause him harm. What's to stop some disgrunted extremist from blowing up the place he works at? Look at the South Park episode they aired. They bleeped almost everything because the writers put the creators' lives at stake. They are not and have not infringed on his right to express himself. They fired him for violating their code of ethics.
    I said reasonably.

    There's been no major reports that I know of in this country of anyone that has spoken poorly about Muslims having their places of buildings attacked. If you're going for this large of a reach any employee that has ever cut someone off or told a customer "no" should be fired for violating their code of ethics because that person could become enraged, come back to the business, and shoot up the place.

  4. #114
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    Any Islamic extremist could or want to cause him harm. What's to stop some disgrunted extremist from blowing up the place he works at? Look at the South Park episode they aired. They bleeped almost everything because the writers put the creators' lives at stake. They are not and have not infringed on his right to express himself. They fired him for violating their code of ethics.
    Yes, we have rights. Yes those rights are affirmed in the constitution. But there are reasonable limitations to all of those rights. Those limitations come into effect when you are infringing on other's rights in the exercise of your own. Yours don't trump theirs. Your freedom of speech is also limited when it is false or causes harm. The first can get you a civil suit for slander or libel, the 2nd, criminal charges of one kind or another.

    Beyond that, you can say whatever the hell you want

  5. #115
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I said reasonably.

    There's been no major reports that I know of in this country of anyone that has spoken poorly about Muslims having their places of buildings attacked. If you're going for this large of a reach any employee that has ever cut someone off or told a customer "no" should be fired for violating their code of ethics because that person could become enraged, come back to the business, and shoot up the place.
    It's not outside the realm of possibility that a terrorist attack could be made on the transit system as a result of this man's actions...just because he's made the transit system a target by his actions. If this winds up in court, I could imagine this coming up.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I said reasonably.
    That is most certainly reasonable, and their is precedent to validate that. The Jyllands-Posten offices have been evacuated more than once in Copenhagen and Aarhus for bomb threats. Same with Danish embassies abroad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There's been no major reports that I know of in this country of anyone that has spoken poorly about Muslims having their places of buildings attacked. If you're going for this large of a reach any employee that has ever cut someone off or told a customer "no" should be fired for violating their code of ethics because that person could become enraged, come back to the business, and shoot up the place.
    That is a stretch. What I suggested is not, since their is precedent for it within the last decade.

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's not outside the realm of possibility that a terrorist attack could be made on the transit system as a result of this man's actions...just because he's made the transit system a target by his actions. If this winds up in court, I could imagine this coming up.
    The transit system was already a target.

  8. #118
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The transit system was already a target.
    They one could make the case that it's now a more likely target.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    That is most certainly reasonable, and their is precedent to validate that. The Jyllands-Posten offices have been evacuated more than once in Copenhagen and Aarhus for bomb threats. Same with Danish embassies abroad.
    Indeed, a few isolated incidents, all of which are outside the U.S.

    That is a stretch. What I suggested is not, since their is precedent for it within the last decade.
    You're claiming there's never been an issue where someone has pissed an individual off in some way and they've came to their work shooting?

    Hey, I know, code of ethics should bar anyone that's jewish from working anywhere. I mean, there was that crazy guy that shot up a museum because he hates jews. Being jewish is putting people at risk, fire them all.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So because some people may be angry it's not protected speech anymore? How about blame the rioters instead of the people using the first amendment? Your argument is crap, end of story.
    It's not my argument, it's the Supreme Court. You can't yell fire in a crowded movie house - context.

    Incite to riot, public nuisance... ring a bell?

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •