Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 232

Thread: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

  1. #221
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    I already have, you just refuse to recognize it.
    This is nothing but an "I know you are, but what am I". Dont waste my time.
    You obviously cannot deliver the necessary goods - get over it and move on.

  2. #222
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, you might try reading the court decisions
    We've been over this - this is an appeal to authority.
    If your argument is sound, you do not need to resort to such silliness.

    You have yet to show an equal protection issue and you have yet to show a due process issue -- and so, you have yet to show anything.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    We've been over this - this is an appeal to authority.
    If your argument is sound, you do not need to resort to such silliness.

    You have yet to show an equal protection issue and you have yet to show a due process issue -- and so, you have yet to show anything.
    No, it isn't. It is you looking at and understanding the ruling. This isssue is about law, and if you don't understand the legal argument, you can reach wrong conclusions, as you have. The ruling is a place to start.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #224
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, it isn't.
    You are arguing that you are right not because your argument is sound but because a court agrees with you. That's an appeal to authority, and is a logocal fallacy for a very clear and obvious reason. If your argument were sound on its own, like mine, then you'd not need to resort to such silliness.

    When you base your arguments on false standards and logical fallcies, as you have, you are destined to fail. As you have.

    You have yet to show an equal protection issue and you have yet to show a due process issue -- and so, you have yet to show anything.

  5. #225
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You are arguing that you are right not because your argument is sound but because a court agrees with you. That's an appeal to authority, and is a logocal fallacy for a very clear and obvious reason. If your argument were sound on its own, like mine, then you'd not need to resort to such silliness.

    When you base your arguments on false standards and logical fallcies, as you have, you are destined to fail. As you have.

    You have yet to show an equal protection issue and you have yet to show a due process issue -- and so, you have yet to show anything.
    Pay close attention, I'm arguing the court laid out the legal grounds for their decision, and it flys in the face of your arguemtn. So, you have to start with the legal grounds, not your own personal misdefintion and misunderstanding of the law, and make your argument from there. A place to start is from the ruling and the arguments used.

    When i need my car fixed, I use a machanic. When I need my water pipes fixed, I call a plummer. And when I need to look at the alw, I seek an expert on law. the first place to start here is with the law and how courts have ruled. When enough rule a certain way, it becomes clearly the law of the land. And you have to concede you may not understand the law. But, any discussion of this needs to start with the ruling. You just spouting silliness that it isn't discrimination because you don;t see it isn't logical.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #226
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Pay close attention, I'm arguing the court laid out the legal grounds...
    Look..
    I can only post this so many times. At some point it is up to you to read it and -try- to understand it:
    Logical Fallacies» Appeal to Authority

    When you base your arguments on false standards and logical fallcies, as you have, you and they are destined to fail. As you have.

    At this point, I have to wonder if you aren't deliberatly refusing to understand you have fallen back on a logical fallacy in order to simply not have to admit you're wrong. It certainly seems to be the case as you continue to repeat the same fallacy over and over, no matter hoe many different ways you are told that because you are hanging your argument on a fallacy, your argument is unsound.

    If that's the case -- well, silly me for wasting so much time on you.

  7. #227
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Is Goobiemen really arguing that Supreme Court precedent is just an appeal to authority?

    I hope not, because if he lacks that much understanding of Constitutional Law, he is embarrassing himself.

  8. #228
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Is Goobiemen really arguing that Supreme Court precedent is just an appeal to authority?
    A court decision is in no way necessarily logically sound - its nothing more than a majority of a small group of people agreeing with a certain position. Even a minscule amount of critical thought leads one to easily understand how this creates a logical fallacy.

  9. #229
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Look..
    I can only post this so many times. At some point it is up to you to read it and -try- to understand it:
    Logical Fallacies» Appeal to Authority

    When you base your arguments on false standards and logical fallcies, as you have, you and they are destined to fail. As you have.

    At this point, I have to wonder if you aren't deliberatly refusing to understand you have fallen back on a logical fallacy in order to simply not have to admit you're wrong. It certainly seems to be the case as you continue to repeat the same fallacy over and over, no matter hoe many different ways you are told that because you are hanging your argument on a fallacy, your argument is unsound.

    If that's the case -- well, silly me for wasting so much time on you.
    I know something about fallacies and you have it wrong. not only do you not know when such is a fallacy, you're not even rightly interpreting what is being said to you here. Appeal to authority doesn't mean you can't ever look at an authority, for god forbid anyone seek insight from those who know. I never said you were wrong because the court disagrees, though they do know more than you do. I said it was the place to start the discussion.

    However, let's get back to your misunderstanding of the fallacy:

    On the other hand, arguments from authority are an important part of informal logic. Since we cannot have expert knowledge of many subjects, we often rely on the judgments of those who do. There is no fallacy involved in simply arguing that the assertion made by an authority is true. The fallacy only arises when it is claimed or implied that the authority is infallible in principle and can hence be exempted from criticism.

    Argument from authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    So, once again, you're either lack reasonable knowledge, or you're simply pretending in order to avoid answering.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #230
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    A court decision is in no way necessarily logically sound - its nothing more than a majority of a small group of people agreeing with a certain position. Even a minscule amount of critical thought leads one to easily understand how this creates a logical fallacy.
    But, to dispute them, you have to start by showing their error in law. You can't just say you believe differently so you must be right.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •