Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 232

Thread: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

  1. #211
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    On the contrary -- it is a sound conclusion. Nothing - neither legal statue nor case nor precedent demonstrating this statement one way or the other - can change that.
    My position, which is "Not being able to exercise a privilege in exactly the way you might want to, based on something that you cannot control (race, sex, sexual orientation, etc.) and that does not harm anyone else, while others can exercise it in the way they want to, is precisely the comprehensive definition of discrimination. And that goes for whether the act is a necessary component of a privilege or simply a desired component," is just as sound as to many Americans as you believe your position is. Therefore, it is only a matter of opinion until there is some authority to base it on...Oh wait...there is. Loving vs Virginia provides common law precedence that my position is the correct interpretation of United States laws regarding the privilege of marriage and the right to have the choice to pick who your spouse is, even if that "choice" isn't a necessary part of the privilege of marriage.

  2. #212
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    My position, which is "Not being able to exercise a privilege in exactly the way you might want to, based on something that you cannot control (race, sex, sexual orientation, etc.) and that does not harm anyone else, while others can exercise it in the way they want to, is precisely the comprehensive definition of discrimination.
    Um.... no.
    Discrimination doesn't have anything to with "Not being able to exercise a privilege in exactly the way you might want to", regardless of anything else; it has everything to do with different legal standards for different people. This isn't the case here, as everyone is under the same legal standard.

    And that goes for whether the act is a necessary component of a privilege or simply a desired component,"
    On the contrary - whatever standard you might care to choose must be necessaruly related to the privilige, else it is meaningless. What you're arguing is no more sound that judging the efficacy of a car tire based on the color of the carpet in the trunk.

    ...is just as sound as to many Americans as you believe your position is
    Logical Fallacies» Appeal to Popularity

    Therefore, it is only a matter of opinion until there is some authority to base it on
    On the contrary -- my position is sound. Opinion, from anyone, doesnt change that.
    There's no EP issue, there''s no Due Process issue -- and thus, no issue.

  3. #213
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This isn't the case here, as everyone is under the same legal standard.
    No. Homosexuals can't marry the sex whom they prefer to marry. According to Loving vs Virginia, restricting someone's choice in a partner is unconstitutional.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    What you're arguing is no more sound that judging the efficacy of a car tire based on the color of the carpet in the trunk.

    I have cited legal authority that backs my position. You have cited no legal authority. All you are doing is stating your own personal interpretation of the law and how it relates to privileges. Even though you have an interesting point (that is mostly based on word play and semantics), you are losing this debate because you have cited no legal authority to back your position, whereas I have cited a landmark supreme court case that does in fact declare prohibiting people from choosing who they want to marry is unconstitutional.

    Its called liberty, and that's the way we like it here. Welcome to America.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Logical Fallacies» Appeal to Authority

    When you can show how my argument is unsound. let me know.
    Already have. It's disingenuous to suggest a homosexual can marry a heterosexual. It would be like allowing you to amrry only someone of the same sex and saying it was fair. You can fain ignorance if you like, but I'm not buying it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #215
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    I propose that people be allowed to own any gun they want....as long as it's the same one I want...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #216
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    No
    Yes. Exactly the same standard. men, woment, gay, straight - exactly the same standard.
    That you dont get to do exactly what you want in no way equates to discrimination.

    According to Loving vs Virginia, restricting someone's choice in a partner is unconstitutional.
    This has been addressed. Fallacy:appeal to authority.

    I have cited legal authority that backs my position. You have cited no legal authority.
    See above. This doesnt show your position to be sound, much less show mine to be unsound.
    My argument stands w/o such sillliness; if your argument were sound, it would as well. That you must continue to appeal to authority indicates you understand that my argument is sound, and yours is not.

    Its called liberty, and that's the way we like it here. Welcome to America.
    Until you negate the soundness of my argument and prove the soundness of yours, without resorting to the previously mentioned fallacies and false standards, your interpretation of what 'liberty' really means is flawed.

  7. #217
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I propose that people be allowed to own any gun they want....as long as it's the same one I want...
    Ah... the master of the red herring rears her ugly head.
    Note that "ugly head" is a figure of speech, not a direct characterization of your appearance.

  8. #218
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Already have.
    Absolutely false - you have yet to soundly describe any equal protection or due process issue with anything I have said.
    Dont feel bad - the impossible is, by defintion, impossible.

  9. #219
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post


    Until you negate the soundness of my argument and prove the soundness of yours, without resorting to the previously mentioned fallacies and false standards, your interpretation of what 'liberty' really means is flawed.
    I already have, you just refuse to recognize it. You've already lost this debate and you're the only one who refused to recognize it. And these "fallacies" you talk about, i.e. common law legal authority, is the way our legal system works. Law is largely a matter of opinion, not science. It is a fact that 2+2=4, but what protections our constitution provides for its citizens is a matter of interpretation, and interpretation is a matter of opinion. The way we settle differences in legal "opinions" in this country is through common law. If you don't understand that yet, I suggest you go take a law class.

  10. #220
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Absolutely false - you have yet to soundly describe any equal protection or due process issue with anything I have said.
    Dont feel bad - the impossible is, by defintion, impossible.
    Again, you might try reading the court decisions. It would be a start. Second, because you refuse to or pretend not to understand why your reasoning is unsound doesn't mean people haven't demonstrated it. it is silly to suggest a homosexual can marry a heterosexual. Just as silly as suggest a heterosexual marry someone of the same sex.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •