Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 232

Thread: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

  1. #201
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    Another way to put it: Discrimination is unconstitutional.
    Which then gets us back to the point you avoided:

    -Neither homosexuals nor heterosexuals can marry someone of the same gender.
    -Both homosexuals and heterosexuals can marry somene of the opposite gender.
    -Everyone has the same privilege; everyone has the same limitation.
    Where's the discrimination?

    Prohibiting homosexuals from marrying each other is discrimination because heterosexuals get to marry who they are attracted to, while homosexuals do not get to marry who they are attracted to.
    This has been addressed, ad nauseum - please do look over the last few pages.
    Becuase attraction/love are not necessary components of marriage, this is a false standard.

  2. #202
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Your argument that discrimination is only unconstitutional for "necessary components" and not desires is false and your attempt at deductive reasoning is weak. Under the 14th amendment "nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property,". One of the definitions for liberty in the merriam-webster dictionary is "the power of choice." Therefore, by not being able to chose who we want to marry, being that by law we are limited to choosing only partners of the opposite sex, we are all being violated according to the 14th amendment.

  3. #203
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    Your argument that discrimination is only unconstitutional for "necessary components" and not desires is false...
    No. Its not.
    You're trying to argue that a restriction on something that has no necessary relationship to marriage is, necessarily, discriminatory when the state issues the prvilige of marriage. The diconnect is obvious -- a condition not necessarily connected to the issue cannot be made into a necessary standard when evaluating the discriminatory nature of the condition.

    Not being able to exercise a privilige in exactly the way you might want to in no way, on its own, create an argument that you are bing discriminated against - especially when that 'want to' has no necessary relationship to the privilige in question.

    Under the 14th amendment "nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property,".
    If you had bothered to read any of the last several pages, you;d see this has already been addressed:
    No one under discussion is deprived of life, liberty or property, and as such, there is no due process issue.

    So... no due process issue, no EP issue - no issue, period.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 09-21-10 at 03:46 PM.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    You're still wrong Goobieman. I point to the courts not arguing with you as evidence.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #205
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're still wrong Goobieman. I point to the courts not arguing with you as evidence.
    Logical Fallacies» Appeal to Authority

    When you can show how my argument is unsound. let me know.

  6. #206
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    Another way to put it: Discrimination is unconstitutional. Prohibiting homosexuals from marrying each other is discrimination because heterosexuals get to marry who they are attracted to, while homosexuals do not get to marry who they are attracted to. So you are mistaken when you say the law effects everyone the same way. It doesn't, therefore it is discrimination.
    Really. So any descrimination of anyone is unconstiutional? I'd love to see that. How about you quote the Constitution? Oh and please quote the passage that mentions homosexuality too.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #207
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Not being able to exercise a privilige in exactly the way you might want to in no way, on its own, create an argument that you are bing discriminated against - especially when that 'want to' has no necessary relationship to the privilige in question.

    Not being able to exercise a privilege in exactly the way you might want to, based on something that you cannot control (race, sex, sexual orientation, etc.) and that does not harm anyone else, while others can exercise it in the way they want to, is precisely the comprehensive definition of discrimination. And that goes for whether the act is a necessary component of a privilege or simply a desired component.

    "Government has no other end, but the preservation of property." John Locke

  8. #208
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    Not being able to exercise a privilege in exactly the way you might want to, based on something that you cannot control (race, sex, sexual orientation, etc.) and that does not harm anyone else, while others can exercise it in the way they want to, is precisely the comprehensive definition of discrimination. And that goes for whether the act is a necessary component of a privilege or simply a desired component.
    Incorrect. If the basis for your desire to exercise the privilige has no necessary relationship to the privilige, then you cannot soundly argue that denial on that basis is discriminatory.

  9. #209
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Incorrect. If the basis for your desire to exercise the privilige has no necessary relationship to the privilige, then you cannot soundly argue that denial on that basis is discriminatory.
    Until you provide some legal statue, case, or precedent demonstrating this statement, it is just a matter of your opinion.

  10. #210
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    Until you provide some legal statue, case, or precedent demonstrating this statement, it is just a matter of your opinion.
    On the contrary -- it is a sound conclusion. Nothing - neither legal statue nor case nor precedent demonstrating this statement one way or the other - can change that.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •