Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 232

Thread: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

  1. #191
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You can keep repeating this all you want -- you haven't actually illustrated how my argument is unsound.


    Keep telling yourself that. But an unreasonable person, holding on to a wrong headed premise, often believes they haven't been shown the unsoundness of their position.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #192
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Keep telling yourself that.
    The truth sets me free.

    When you think you can actually show my argument to be unsound, feel free to step up to the plate.

  3. #193
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    These ultra-conservatives are starting to sound more and more like the Islamic fundamentalist they condemn. We are overseas fighting for "Iraqi freedom" and trying to liberate Afghans from Taliban control, but discriminate against Americans who want to fight for our country simply because they are attracted to people of the same sex or because of what they do in the privacy of their own home? How is that American? Conservatives don't want liberty, they want control.

    You can say what you want about liberals, but if weren't for liberals slavery would still exist, women wouldn't have the right to vote and the civil rights movement would have never happened (Please, before you say "Lincoln was a Republican", notice I said "liberals" and not "Republicans" or "Democrats". Southern conservative democrats at the time slandered Lincoln for being a "liberal"). Now conservatives are embarrassed that their movements didn't support these changes (especially southerners who are embarrassed by their slavery and Jim Crow past). When gays do have equal rights (which one day they will), the next generation of conservatives will be embarrassed that their predecessors were so discriminatory. An intelligent man is one who thinks well within his time. A genius is one who is able to think ahead of his time.
    Last edited by Johnny DooWop; 09-21-10 at 01:40 PM.

  4. #194
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    These ultra-conservatives are starting to sound more and more like the Islamic fundamentalist they condemn. We are overseas fighting for "Iraqi freedom" and trying to liberate Afghans from Taliban control, but discriminate against Americans who want to fight for our country simply because they are attracted to people of the same sex or because of what they do in the privacy of their own home? How is that American? Conservatives don't want liberty, they want control.
    Yeah! Damn the homophobic bigots that created and passed DADT all to hell!

  5. #195
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Neither homosexuals nor heterosexuals can marry someone of the same gender.
    Both homosexuals and heterosexuals can marry somene of the opposite gender.
    Everyone has the same privilege; everyone has the same limitation.
    Where's the discrimination?
    I bet you would've used that argument to contest Loving vs Virginia too. Are you saying that Jim Crow miscegenation laws were constitutional?

  6. #196
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    I bet you would've used that argument to contest Loving vs Virginia too. Are you saying that Jim Crow miscegenation laws were constitutional?
    I'm sorry - can you illustrate the discrimination, or not?

  7. #197
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'm sorry - can you illustrate the discrimination, or not?
    Can you illustrate the constitutionality of Loving vs Virginia or not?

  8. #198
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DooWop View Post
    Can you illustrate the constitutionality of Loving vs Virginia or not?
    I'll take that as a no. Thanks for playing.

  9. #199
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'll take that as a no. Thanks for playing.
    All you are doing is playing a game of semantics with the definition of discrimination. That type of discrimination has already been "illustrated" as being unconstitutional. Go read Loving vs Virginia. Its the same thing, both Blacks and Whites couldn't marry outside of their race, and in your mind, those laws didn't fit the definition of discrimination because everyone was subjected to it. The Supreme Court judges however "illustrated" that your definition of discrimination is false, because they ruled it unconstitutional. Under our system of common law it is "unfair to treat similar facts differently on different occasions." So therefore, DADT and the gay marriage bans should be ruled unconstitutional under common law.

  10. #200
    Student Johnny DooWop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Right
    Last Seen
    11-02-10 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    290

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Another way to put it: Discrimination is unconstitutional. Prohibiting homosexuals from marrying each other is discrimination because heterosexuals get to marry who they are attracted to, while homosexuals do not get to marry who they are attracted to. So you are mistaken when you say the law effects everyone the same way. It doesn't, therefore it is discrimination.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •