Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 232

Thread: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

  1. #171
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    marriage is the answer to Sexual promiscuity.
    which is why I support gay marriage. anything that will keep them out of the truck stops, public restrooms, bath houses, rest areas and public parks is a good thing.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #172
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, you're not answering.
    Yes, yes I did. Clearly and directly.

    The priviledge isn't male/felmale but the partner you love and are attracted to.
    That's not the privilige offered by the state. Love and attraction arent in any way necessary components of marriage; just because you cannot exercise a privilige in the manner you want to in no way means your are suffering under discrimination.

    Your premise is silly on its face...
    And yet, you have done nothing to show how it is unsound.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Yes, yes I did. Clearly and directly.


    That's not the privilige offered by the state. Love and attraction arent in any way necessary components of marriage; just because you cannot exercise a privilige in the manner you want to in no way means your are suffering under discrimination.


    And yet, you have done nothing to show how it is unsound.
    No, not well you haven't. You treat it as if we marry strightly due to gender and we don't. It happens that most are atracted to and love in the way that works with marrige people of the opposite sex. And most would not marry without those things, they have a different standard, like financial, but not due to gender. So when you say a person can only marry someone of the opposite sex, you are discriminating against people who love and are attracted to, and thus can only consider marrying, people of the same sex. And you are not addressing that.

    Yes, your argument is silly on its face because you would not marry someone of the same sex if that was your only option for marriage. If that were the law, you would then understand the discrimination. You would see that you are being given no choice at all, and know how silly it is to say you can do what they can do. Unless you're going to argue you can have sex with someone of the same gender and it not bother you at all, you completely miss the silliness of your argument.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #174
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You treat it as if we marry strightly due to gender and we don't. It happens that most are atracted to and love in the way that works with marrige people of the opposite sex. (blah blah)
    Irrelevant.
    Love and attraction arent in any way necessary components of marriage. As such, any argument that you are being discriminated against because you cannot marry whoever you love is unsound becasue theres no necessary relationship between marriage and the conditions you want to assign to it.

    Just because you cannot exercise a privilige in the manner you want to in no way means your are suffering under discrimination.

    Yes, your argument is silly on its face...
    And yet, you have done nothing to show how it is unsound.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Irrelevant.
    Love and attraction arent in any way necessary components of marriage. As such, any argument that you are being discriminated against because you cannot marry whoever you love is unsound becasue theres no necessary relationship between marriage and the conditions you want to assign to it.

    Just because you cannot exercise a privilige in the manner you want to in no way means your are suffering under discrimination.


    And yet, you have done nothing to show how it is unsound.
    For most who marry, love and attraction are the ONLY components.

    And yes, i've taken great pains to show you. Again, ask yourself how much choice you would have if you could only marry someone of the same sex. Be honest.

    Also, it isn't the manner. Manner suggests how I get married and not who. There are churches more than willing to marry same sex couples. And there is no state interest to prevent it. No rationale reason to prevent it. And if you can marry the person you l;ove and are attracted to, and I can't, then you are discriminating. Saying i can marry someone I am not attracted to, and can't love in the manner of a married couple is not offering me the same choice. I'm sorry, but your argument is silly and unsound.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #176
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    For most who marry, love and attraction are the ONLY components.
    So what?
    Love and attraction arent in any way -necessary- components of marriage
    Thus, any argument, such as yours, based on 'love and attraction' necessarily fails.

    As such, you have done nothing to show how my argyument is unsound.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So what?
    Love and attraction arent in any way -necessary- components of marriage
    Thus, any argument, such as yours, based on 'love and attraction' necessarily fails.

    As such, you have done nothing to show how my argyument is unsound.
    Are you married? I've been married going on 28 years. They damn sure do matter. And are necessary.

    And no, it doesn't fail. It is why most marry. So, it has to be a large part of the equation. Even other reasons for marrying have nothing to do with gender, like finanaces. Very few, if any, look for a spouse with no other component other than gneder.

    Like I said, your argument is silly and unsound.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #178
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Are you married? I've been married going on 28 years. They damn sure do matter. And are necessary.
    False. Nothing about marriage, conceptually or legally -necessitates- that those getting married have any attraction for one another, or any degree of emotional attachment. Your argument, therefore, is based on a false standard -- that someone may or may not be able to get married to someone they love/are attracted to is meaningless as such a thing is not necessary to marriage.

    Any argument based on this false standard is necessarily unsound.

    And no, it doesn't fail. It is why most marry. So, it has to be a large part of the equation.
    Look up the work "necessary" and then relate that definition to the concept of a "necessary relationship".

    Like I said, your argument is silly and unsound.
    Like -I- have said -- you have done nothing to show that it is unsound.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 09-20-10 at 03:14 PM.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    False. Nothing about marriage, conceptually or legally -necessitates- that those getting married have any attraction for one another, or any degree of emotional attachment. Your argument, therefore, is based on a false standard -- that someone may or may not be able to get married to someone they love/are attracted to is meaningless as such a thing is not necessary to marriage.

    Any argument based on this false standard is necessarily unsound.


    Look up the work "necessary" and then relate that definition to the concept of a "necessary relationship".


    Like -I- have said -- you have done nothing to show that it is unsound.
    So, you would glady marry some of the same sex if that was the law?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #180
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    While I seriously doubt your premise, marriage is the answer to Sexual promiscuity. By your argument, you should be in favor of same sex marriage.

    So, what you think aside, and considering homosexuality has always been with us, can you support your fear of negitive effects?
    You can turn a housewife into a whore, but you can't turn a whore into a housewife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •