Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 232

Thread: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

  1. #161
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Marriage is a privilige that exists only because the state created it, and the conditions under which the privilige might be exercised. As such, we're not discussing the deprivation of life, liberty or property; your citation of the due process clause is thus rendered irrelevant as none of those things are deprived by the restriction under contention.
    It doesn't matter if you perceive marriage as a privilege or a right. Marriage is a contract and the rights associated with it all have to do with life, liberty, and property. You can argue that it doesn't but that is simply a denial of reality.

    Furthermore, the Supreme Court ruled in Loving v. Virginia that marriage is a fundamental right. That means that Supreme Court precedent overrules your petty deluded opinion on that matter. The state recognizes marriage as a Constitutionally protected right, but even if it didn't, restrictions on marriage based on anything like race, religion, or sex would still have to pass due process when challenged.

    So I ask for the fifth time.

    How does the state have an interest in limiting marriage to people of the opposite sex?
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 09-17-10 at 05:39 PM.

  2. #162
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It doesn't matter if you perceive marriage as a privilege or a right. Marriage is a contract and the rights associated with it all have to do with life, liberty, and property. You can argue that it doesn't but that is simply a denial of reality.

    Furthermore, the Supreme Court ruled in Loving v. Virginia that marriage is a fundamental right. That means that Supreme Court precedent overrules your petty deluded opinion on that matter. The state recognizes marriage as a Constitutionally protected right, but even if it didn't, restrictions on marriage based on anything like race, religion, or sex would still have to pass due process when challenged.

    So I ask for the fifth time.

    How does the state have an interest in limiting marriage to people of the opposite sex?
    As I see it, the "state" would only have an acceptable interest in limiting marriage to people of the opposite sex IF doing so had an overall positive effect on whatever it is marriage was created to promote in the first place.

    Since the whole argument is over the legal aspects of marriage...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #163
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,037

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Imagine that.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  4. #164
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It doesn't matter if you perceive marriage as a privilege or a right. Marriage is a contract and the rights associated with it all have to do with life, liberty, and property. You can argue that it doesn't but that is simply a denial of reality.
    That's impossibly weak. If your statement has any real substance you'd not have to resort to the petty, deluded, petulant 'you're just dumb if you dont see it' fallacy.
    Until you do MUCH better than that, my statement stands.

    Furthermore, the Supreme Court ruled in Loving v. Virginia that marriage is a fundamental right.
    Wait - I'm sorry - didn't you just say that "It doesn't matter if you perceive marriage as a privilege or a right?" Why then do you have the petty, deluded need to show that marriage is a right?
    In any event:
    Its something that exists only bevause the state created in and granted it. Thus, it is privilige.
    Your petty, deluded, sophomoroic appeal to authority only illustrates your utter lack of ability to otherwise support your petty, deluded argument.

    That means that Supreme Court precedent overrules your petty deluded opinion on that matter.
    Rights are not granted by the state, prviliges are. By the very nature of rights, nothing granted by the state can be a right. Nothing can change this.
    The Supreme Court doesnt overrule reality, so another petty, deluded appeal to authority fails. Sorry.

    So I ask for the fifth time....
    Your petty, deluded question rests on an demonstrably petty, deluded, unsound premise, and as such, is meaningless.
    There is no due process issue as no one is deprived of life, liberty or property, and there is no EP issue as everyone is held to the same legal standad.

  5. #165
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Stop the personal attacks Disney. Navy has never said he hates gays.
    He just argued that they are little more then animals who cannot control themselves.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/partis...n-gays-17.html
    Last edited by obvious Child; 09-19-10 at 07:58 PM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #166
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    He just argued that they are little more then animals who cannot control themselves.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/partis...n-gays-17.html

    I'll repeat since you apparently are having a hard time reading what I actually said. Navy has never said he hates gays.

    Your personal bias and spin doesn't change what he said.

    Enjoy your fail oC
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    I'll repeat since you apparently are having a hard time reading what I actually said. Navy has never said he hates gays.

    Your personal bias and spin doesn't change what he said.

    Enjoy your fail oC
    Yep just like some KKK members haven't said they hate gays, they just think of them as lower citizens that shouldn't have the same rights and privileges as whites. But it's all good to you because some of those members didn't say they hated gays right tex?

  8. #168
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yep just like some KKK members haven't said they hate gays, they just think of them as lower citizens that shouldn't have the same rights and privileges as whites. But it's all good to you because some of those members didn't say they hated gays right tex?
    Gays aren't white?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by SingleCellOrganism View Post
    Sexual promiscuity brings down societies, homosexuality is the final form of oversexualization. (speaking of the clubbing gay people, not the normalized "adopted a child, trying to be a normal member of society")

    How does it bring down societies?

    Family units disintegrate, because the outcome of hyper-sexualization is jealousy, perma-childlike state of mind, overuse of alcohol etc. etc. (i.e. america right now, and formerly greece/rome)

    After the family unit has disintegrated all new members of that society will be ... horrible people.

    But ... divorce is a far bigger problem right now, and since that isn't going to change, screw it, legalize homosexual marriage; we are toast as a society anyway.

    The gay people who actually want to get married out of love, should be allowed to, but how do you meter that?

    What a mess of a topic, but I just don't think you can normalize homosexuality in a society without dramatic negative effects. (which honestly have already happened because of hetero-divorce)
    While I seriously doubt your premise, marriage is the answer to Sexual promiscuity. By your argument, you should be in favor of same sex marriage.

    So, what you think aside, and considering homosexuality has always been with us, can you support your fear of negitive effects?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Pentagon: No Plans to Change 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy After Court Ruling

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I did. Not getting to exercise a privilege in the manner you would like to, when no one else can exercise that privilige in that way, is not grounds for an argument of discrimination.
    No, you're not answering. The priviledge isn't male/felmale but the partner you love and are attracted to. You are not answering that at all. Your premise is silly on its face, and you hide from it by ignoring what the real issue is. If you can marry the person you love and are attracted to, and I cannot, I'm being discriminated against. Unless you can show just cause for that discrimination, the law says you can't do that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •