Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: U.S. names Asian carp czar

  1. #31
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,674

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am not the one who started the thread to bitch about another czar. The issue of the carp is very important an involves a lawsuit the state of Michigan has filed against the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Minnesota. It sounds silly, but there is a big issue going on. It could end up with the closure of the locks into the great lakes, which would have a huge impact on several states.
    Nope...someone else started a thread to bitch about another Czar...a carp Czar...a federal Czar...and a committee and commission...over...a species of fish. me..I kinda think he has a point.

  2. #32
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Some more information on why this is happening: Expert: High risk of Asian carp invading Great Lakes | MLive.com

    Signs of Asian carp in Chicago waterways mean there's a great risk the invasive fish could slip into Lake Michigan at any time, a witness said Tuesday in the first full day of testimony in a five-state lawsuit.

    Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Minnesota and Pennsylvania want a federal judge to close two shipping locks and install barriers to prevent the ravenous fish from overrunning the Great Lakes and potentially devastating its $7 billion-a-year fishing industry.

    "I think there is a risk, a very imminent risk of invasion," biologist David Lodge testified for the states. He added ominously that such "invasions are often irreversible."

    The city of Chicago, the regional barge industry and others object to closing the locks, arguing the move would undermine critical flood-control measures and hurt businesses who rely heavily on the waterways.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #33
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Nope...someone else started a thread to bitch about another Czar...a carp Czar...a federal Czar...and a committee and commission...over...a species of fish. me..I kinda think he has a point.
    This "fish" is at the center of a multi-state lawsuit and could have an impact measured in the billions of dollars. It's easy to make fun of it without understanding the underlying issues.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #34
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,674

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Some more information on why this is happening: Expert: High risk of Asian carp invading Great Lakes | MLive.com
    80 million would pay for a lot of fishermen targeting those fish.

  5. #35
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,674

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This "fish" is at the center of a multi-state lawsuit and could have an impact measured in the billions of dollars. It's easy to make fun of it without understanding the underlying issues.
    I understand this issue pretty well. Ive seen what happens when idiot 'environmentalists' plant lake trout in lakes to thwart sportfishing. Ive seen the efforts to clean up the problem first hand in several lakes. Ive seen the efforts to end millfoil intrusion firsthand. And I understand the issue here as well...a voracious predator (like lake trout) introduced in one area (like tiger muskie have been) and then spilling into other lakes and reservoirs. Yes...it happens. And yes, there are people that need to act on it. And have. And sonofagun...they didnt have to create federal commissions to resolve those problems in the past...

  6. #36
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    80 million would pay for a lot of fishermen targeting those fish.
    There are not enough fisherman to eliminate the threat, and if they make it into the great lakes, it would be like the ideal environment for them. I suspect that part of the 80 million will go to fishing, but I doubt that is the whole solution. 80 million to solve a potentially multi-billion dollar issue is money well spent.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #37
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I understand this issue pretty well. Ive seen what happens when idiot 'environmentalists' plant lake trout in lakes to thwart sportfishing. Ive seen the efforts to clean up the problem first hand in several lakes. Ive seen the efforts to end millfoil intrusion firsthand. And I understand the issue here as well...a voracious predator (like lake trout) introduced in one area (like tiger muskie have been) and then spilling into other lakes and reservoirs. Yes...it happens. And yes, there are people that need to act on it. And have. And sonofagun...they didnt have to create federal commissions to resolve those problems in the past...
    Those problems where on a much smaller scale. When you are dealing with a multi-state, multi-billion dollar problem, you put together a group of people to work on it. I don't see what is complicated about that.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #38
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,674

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There are not enough fisherman to eliminate the threat, and if they make it into the great lakes, it would be like the ideal environment for them. I suspect that part of the 80 million will go to fishing, but I doubt that is the whole solution. 80 million to solve a potentially multi-billion dollar issue is money well spent.
    Perhaps. Here is hoping that it isnt more wasted federal money. I think MAYBE what people might object to is that we have all these wonderful department s and secretaries over major areas...and then the fed (yes...starting with Bush) started creating duplicate positions...and now we are at...what...27...28 'Czar' positions? in addition to the cabinet positions? Its ridiculous. Its wasteful.

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Perhaps. Here is hoping that it isnt more wasted federal money. I think MAYBE what people might object to is that we have all these wonderful department s and secretaries over major areas...and then the fed (yes...starting with Bush) started creating duplicate positions...and now we are at...what...27...28 'Czar' positions? in addition to the cabinet positions? Its ridiculous. Its wasteful.
    Who else is in charge of handling the problem and coordinating among the various agencies? Stop and think about it from a logical basis. Potential drastic federal(multi-state) problem involving among other things a dispute among states. A solution is needed, and it crosses several departments with competing priorities. What do you do? Put together a few people, give them the money to do something, give them the authority to get co-operation and co-ordinate the departments involved? If you do that, don't you need some one to actually be in charge of that group of people?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: U.S. names Asian carp czar

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There are not enough fisherman to eliminate the threat, and if they make it into the great lakes, it would be like the ideal environment for them. I suspect that part of the 80 million will go to fishing, but I doubt that is the whole solution. 80 million to solve a potentially multi-billion dollar issue is money well spent.
    We have a lot of people on welfare and unemployed. Maybe they could use a temporary income. :-)
    I don't see the need for this czar.
    Sorry, I didn't research him yet. Is he really some sort of an expert on keeping invasive species of fish out of lakes? Is Obama's record that great at choosing czars?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •