Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

  1. #21
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,032

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Not evil at all. But just don't whine when you have to dip into it to pay out, or even worse raise you rates when you returns aren't doing as well as they were.

    I had a customer like that once. Loaded to the gills but wouldn't pay a balance he owed me because he would have to "dip into his stock investments." I told him it was not my problem. If he made the commitment to have something made he should pay off when it's done. I can't run a business if people won't pay their accounts receivable.
    I agree that people need to pay their debts (service/product) recieved. To play the devil's advicate. I could ask you the same thing, how much are you willing to dip into your business profit so as to not raise rates of your product? This is the question health insurance companies are faced with in trying to cover more people, existing conditions, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it is crazy the pay some CEO's, etc get. Yet share holders need a certain return or they will not invest in the company. Some may think health care is a right. The question is how are we going to pay for it? We do not have an endless supply of money to give away, though some may think so.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  2. #22
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I agree that people need to pay their debts (service/product) recieved. To play the devil's advicate. I could ask you the same thing, how much are you willing to dip into your business profit so as to not raise rates of your product? This is the question health insurance companies are faced with in trying to cover more people, existing conditions, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it is crazy the pay some CEO's, etc get. Yet share holders need a certain return or they will not invest in the company. Some may think health care is a right. The question is how are we going to pay for it? We do not have an endless supply of money to give away, though some may think so.
    Seeing as how every single country with UHC spends far less than we do, (some half as much) we should probably look at their models and try to figure out why ours seems to be so inefficient. Important note: UHC does not necessarily imply "socialized medicine." Conservatives always focus on Canada and the UK, because those are the best places to use the SOCIALISM bogeyman.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #23
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-12-10 @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    The Health Care Reform bill has one intention and only one intention, to put 2 industries (Insurance and Care) and the people of the US under govt control. This bill is nothing but Socialism disguised as "good intentions". Anyone with a basic understanding that reads the bill can see that for themselves. Hopefully it will either get repealled or thrown out by the courts. If this bill is allowed to come to fruition it will be the beginning of the final downfall of the America that has stood for 234 years.

  4. #24
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by USA Republican View Post
    The Health Care Reform bill has one intention and only one intention, to put 2 industries (Insurance and Care) and the people of the US under govt control. This bill is nothing but Socialism disguised as "good intentions". Anyone with a basic understanding that reads the bill can see that for themselves. Hopefully it will either get repealled or thrown out by the courts. If this bill is allowed to come to fruition it will be the beginning of the final downfall of the America that has stood for 234 years.
    On the other hand, anyone who actually understands what the word socialism actually means can see that this bill is actually the opposite. It's funneling billions of taxpayer dollars into the hands of private insurance companies. That's pretty much the opposite of socialism.

    Regulation is not socialism. That's not what the word means. Airlines are heavily regulated, is our air transport industry socialized? It's all "under the control" of the Federal Aviation Administration. GASP!
    Last edited by Deuce; 09-13-10 at 09:16 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #25
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    Ive been watching my Health coverage like a hawk these last few weeks, so far Ive been paying the same but I know its coming.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  6. #26
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    What? I'm absolutely stunned!

    Forcing private companies to provide a service to high risk people means that they are going to raise their rates?! But.. but... the nanny-staters said that wouldn't happen! They said our rates would go down! THEY said that more govt involvement would make everything better and cheaper.

    You mean to tell me they were... *gasp*... wrong?

    Shocked, I am. Just shocked.

  7. #27
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    What? I'm absolutely stunned!

    Forcing private companies to provide a service to high risk people means that they are going to raise their rates?! But.. but... the nanny-staters said that wouldn't happen! They said our rates would go down! THEY said that more govt involvement would make everything better and cheaper.

    You mean to tell me they were... *gasp*... wrong?

    Shocked, I am. Just shocked.
    Of course, the "pre-existing conditions" changes don't go into effect until 2014. What changes in 2010/2011 are causing this increase? Allowing kids to stay on until 26 instead of 21 couldn't possibly cause a 9% increase in costs.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Seeing as how every single country with UHC spends far less than we do, (some half as much) we should probably look at their models and try to figure out why ours seems to be so inefficient. Important note: UHC does not necessarily imply "socialized medicine." Conservatives always focus on Canada and the UK, because those are the best places to use the SOCIALISM bogeyman.
    Denying care and limiting coverage is a great way to keep things cheap.
    That's how many of them do it.

    I don't want any part of that.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #29
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Of course, the "pre-existing conditions" changes don't go into effect until 2014. What changes in 2010/2011 are causing this increase? Allowing kids to stay on until 26 instead of 21 couldn't possibly cause a 9% increase in costs.
    Yeah, they wouldn't possibly raise rates in expectation of the influx of high risk people they're forced by the government to provide services for.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Health Insurers Plan Hikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Of course, the "pre-existing conditions" changes don't go into effect until 2014. What changes in 2010/2011 are causing this increase? Allowing kids to stay on until 26 instead of 21 couldn't possibly cause a 9% increase in costs.
    Neither a 21 year old nor a 26 year old is a "kid."
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •