Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 176

Thread: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

  1. #41
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,543

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    On the other hand, when we act just like our enemies we're kinda conceding that whole moral high ground we cling to. So why not just drop the pretense? **** it. "We're America. We're bigger and stronger, we can do what we want and you muslims can't do **** about it."
    So, your suggestion is what? Sending in the police to stop it? 'Coz it would have to be if you're arguing with Ikari on this point.

    That's a fantastic way to cherish the liberties we hold dear.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #42
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    On the other hand, when we act just like our enemies we're kinda conceding that whole moral high ground we cling to. So why not just drop the pretense? **** it. "We're America. We're bigger and stronger, we can do what we want and you muslims can't do **** about it."
    Nobody can do **** about it. Should I be ruled by the ideals and customs of other people? Should Afghanistan have some say in what I'm able to do? Should the UK be able to write our laws? People can run their mouths as much as they want, but America is a sovereign nation; we do what we want to do, it's our god damned government and we're the ones who have to live with it. Why should they be able to do anything about it? Book burning doesn't infringe upon other people's rights, so it's not illegal. Let's not make this into something more than what it is. And me saying that someone has the right to do so doesn't infringe upon other people's rights either. And it's not an endorsement of the act either, just a statement. If you want to condemn the whole of America by the actions of one crazy ass preacher, have at it. But he doesn't represent the whole, he's just one guy. How many Americans are burning Korans? Many of us have spoken out against it, said it's stupid and pointless and will cause more problems than solve. But we can't physically stop it. That's where we're at. It seems that some of you want us to physically stop it. Ain't gonna happen. No way, no how. We'd have to violate our own culture, our own ideals, our own principles to do so.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #43
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    The article mentioned the church having only 50 members. Looks like they are having a membership drive to me.
    I blame the media for all the hoop-la over this. This cult has every right to burn the Koran, but that doesn't mean we have to make a news story out of it. (we should stick to message boards and blogs for that :-)
    Does he have a right to be a jerk? Sure. Is it the right thing to do? I don't think so, any more than I think it's right to build a mosque at ground zero. Both are provacative.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  4. #44
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    That makes no sense and does not follow any logic. It is not about what the Muslims want done to them. The Pastor is a Christian, and as a Christian, he should "do to others as he would have them to do him". Or does the Pastor only follow some of Jesus' teachings?
    I'm not sure but I think this "Christian" is the same nut that disrupts military funerals. Don't lump his 50 member congregation in with good Christians. I think he just wants to make the news. He is a very small fringe much like Islamic Radicals are to Islam.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  5. #45
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-10-10 @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    28

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I'm not sure but I think this "Christian" is the same nut that disrupts military funerals. Don't lump his 50 member congregation in with good Christians. I think he just wants to make the news. He is a very small fringe much like Islamic Radicals are to Islam.

    If only I had the energy to keep refuting this... I'll simply state that radical Islam is the problem... oh and these are not the droids you are looking for. /waves hand

    Islam is Islam too few westerners understand thistoo few indeed.

  6. #46
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,780

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Nobody can do **** about it. Should I be ruled by the ideals and customs of other people? Should Afghanistan have some say in what I'm able to do? Should the UK be able to write our laws? People can run their mouths as much as they want, but America is a sovereign nation; we do what we want to do, it's our god damned government and we're the ones who have to live with it. Why should they be able to do anything about it? Book burning doesn't infringe upon other people's rights, so it's not illegal. Let's not make this into something more than what it is. And me saying that someone has the right to do so doesn't infringe upon other people's rights either. And it's not an endorsement of the act either, just a statement. If you want to condemn the whole of America by the actions of one crazy ass preacher, have at it. But he doesn't represent the whole, he's just one guy. How many Americans are burning Korans? Many of us have spoken out against it, said it's stupid and pointless and will cause more problems than solve. But we can't physically stop it. That's where we're at. It seems that some of you want us to physically stop it. Ain't gonna happen. No way, no how. We'd have to violate our own culture, our own ideals, our own principles to do so.
    I'm saying we shouldn't try to claim the moral high ground over middle eastern countries or muslims if we're behaving the same way. Not many Muslims burn bibles. Many Muslims have spoken out against burning bibles.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #47
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,543

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'm saying we shouldn't try to claim the moral high ground over middle eastern countries or muslims if we're behaving the same way. Not many Muslims burn bibles. Many Muslims have spoken out against burning bibles.
    "We" aren't. Thiry buttwipes in Florida are.

    Contrast that with the governmental policies in numerous ME countries.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #48
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,780

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    "We" aren't. Thiry buttwipes in Florida are.

    Contrast that with the governmental policies in numerous ME countries.
    So it's ok to generalize about 1.4 billion muslims but not 300 million Americans. Ok.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #49
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,543

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    So it's ok to generalize about 1.4 billion muslims but not 300 million Americans. Ok.
    Who's doing that? I'm not. But you appear to be.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #50
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,780

    Re: US church defiant despite condemnation of Koran burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Who's doing that? I'm not. But you appear to be.
    Read any thread relating to muslims on this forum. You'll see it.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •