Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 355

Thread: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

  1. #191
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    You did not address the state income taxes which are also going up. Not sure why a new tax already on the books does not count, but are entitled to an opinion even I think it is wrong.
    State income taxes aren't the federal government's problem. Take that issue up with your respective state government. As to your argument against why income taxes shouldn't expire for anyone at this time, it's very simple. REVENUE!

    Someway and at some time, this nation will need to start paying down it's debt. Of course, one way to do that is to cut some government programs and cut out fraud, waste and abuse. Certainly!! But with the country's economy the way it is currently and the profound need to stimulate productivity and, thus, create retail demands for goods and services, the government cannot afford have anything near a spending freeze except in those areas most Conservatives would like alone - defense, homeland security, Veteran's Affairs and the military. You have people out there without homes, without jobs, barely able to buy food. And then there are the natural and man-made disasters that have adversely affected portions of this country, and there's no way you can cut service programs right now. It just makes not sense whatsoever to do that! So, on compassionate and humanitarian standing alone, you just don't do that now. Instead, you retain those programs (unemployment, welfare, WIC, etc.), increase taxes on the wealthiest individuals because they are the ONLY viable revenuse source who can afford to contribute more, and use those funds to pay down the national debt. Once the country's economy has returned to some form of normalcy, you re-evaluate the tax issue. At that point, lowering those taxes of the wealthy would be the right thing to do.

    Now, if you don't think such a compromise could be trusted by the left, you simply state that you will not yeild on this issue unless and until a firm date (year) is stipulated within the proposed bill and the only way you'd accept those taxes not being reduced by that time is if the economy hasn't improved by then. To me, that's the best compromise Democrates can hope to achieve their goal whether Republicans win the mid-terms or not.

  2. #192
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,355

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    State income taxes aren't the federal government's problem. Take that issue up with your respective state government. As to your argument against why income taxes shouldn't expire for anyone at this time, it's very simple. REVENUE!

    Someway and at some time, this nation will need to start paying down it's debt. Of course, one way to do that is to cut some government programs and cut out fraud, waste and abuse. Certainly!! But with the country's economy the way it is currently and the profound need to stimulate productivity and, thus, create retail demands for goods and services, the government cannot afford have anything near a spending freeze except in those areas most Conservatives would like alone - defense, homeland security, Veteran's Affairs and the military. You have people out there without homes, without jobs, barely able to buy food. And then there are the natural and man-made disasters that have adversely affected portions of this country, and there's no way you can cut service programs right now. It just makes not sense whatsoever to do that! So, on compassionate and humanitarian standing alone, you just don't do that now. Instead, you retain those programs (unemployment, welfare, WIC, etc.), increase taxes on the wealthiest individuals because they are the ONLY viable revenuse source who can afford to contribute more, and use those funds to pay down the national debt. Once the country's economy has returned to some form of normalcy, you re-evaluate the tax issue. At that point, lowering those taxes of the wealthy would be the right thing to do.

    Now, if you don't think such a compromise could be trusted by the left, you simply state that you will not yeild on this issue unless and until a firm date (year) is stipulated within the proposed bill and the only way you'd accept those taxes not being reduced by that time is if the economy hasn't improved by then. To me, that's the best compromise Democrates can hope to achieve their goal whether Republicans win the mid-terms or not.
    You may have forgotten that the President has a working commission to reduce the deficit. Their report is due out in December. It is suppossed to cover all forms of revenues (taxes) and spending including entitlements.

    So this effort by the President just seems to be grandstanding before an election to pit certain types of people against others. Exactly what he said he would get rid of if elected. Otherwise why keep harping on a piecemeal fix of the problem which will make it harder for the commission to do it's work.

  3. #193
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    And you have to look no further than Ronald Reagan to thank as the person who destroyed America's manufacturing base. No wonder he is the idol of Corporate America and the Republican party.
    Who cares about manufacturing? Wealth does not come solely from manufacturing. Don't believe me? Then why do you tip your waiter?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #194
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    You may have forgotten that the President has a working commission to reduce the deficit. Their report is due out in December. It is suppossed to cover all forms of revenues (taxes) and spending including entitlements.

    So this effort by the President just seems to be grandstanding before an election to pit certain types of people against others. Exactly what he said he would get rid of if elected. Otherwise why keep harping on a piecemeal fix of the problem which will make it harder for the commission to do it's work.
    How is advocating a proposal (campaigning) he believes can help improve the nation's economic problems grandstanding? I could understand if he delayed making any recommendations whatsoever until just after the commission came out with it's report but he did so without reviewing the report or claims his report was a better way that what the commission recommended, but that's not the case. Grandstanding implies you're trying to show someone up. Since there's no report to "out-do"...

    Now, if folks didn't like President Obama before, they likely aren't going to vote for a candidate they believe would represent a contiuence of his policies. But if they like the candidate more, they'll likely come out and vote for that candidate again. It really comes down to do you hate the man that much, do you totally disagree with his policies or you just don't like your Democratic representative/alternative. In that, you'd certainly have to choose. But if you think the opposite in any respect, you owe it to yourself and your country to get out and vote (accordingly).

  5. #195
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Who cares about manufacturing? Wealth does not come solely from manufacturing. Don't believe me? Then why do you tip your waiter?
    You know a rich waiter?

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Class warfare at it's ugliest. More proof Obama isn't interested in getting the economy turned around. Why does he hate small business owners?
    He doesn't. That;s Republican rhetoric. He hates big business assholes and useless wealthy ****ers who do not pay their fair share.

  7. #197
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,355

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    How is advocating a proposal (campaigning) he believes can help improve the nation's economic problems grandstanding? I could understand if he delayed making any recommendations whatsoever until just after the commission came out with it's report but he did so without reviewing the report or claims his report was a better way that what the commission recommended, but that's not the case. Grandstanding implies you're trying to show someone up. Since there's no report to "out-do"...

    Now, if folks didn't like President Obama before, they likely aren't going to vote for a candidate they believe would represent a contiuence of his policies. But if they like the candidate more, they'll likely come out and vote for that candidate again. It really comes down to do you hate the man that much, do you totally disagree with his policies or you just don't like your Democratic representative/alternative. In that, you'd certainly have to choose. But if you think the opposite in any respect, you owe it to yourself and your country to get out and vote (accordingly).
    It is grandstanding because it preempts the solutions that the commission may report.
    He is not making a proposal he is asking for action before the election,before this commission which hopefully would have put together a balanced approach to cutting the deficit. Now, if they were going to ask for a change in taxes it will be harder because this would be in place.

    As to your last para. I am not a hater and feel it is highly inappropriate for you to infer such. As to vote dem or repub congress now votes on the big issues. So people have to pick which view best represents them and vote that way.

  8. #198
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    He doesn't. That;s Republican rhetoric. He hates big business assholes and useless wealthy ****ers who do not pay their fair share.

    Hmmmm....."Fair share"? What is their "fair share"? How much of their earning should be confiscated so that those who earn far less pay nothing?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #199
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Hmmmm....."Fair share"? What is their "fair share"? How much of their earning should be confiscated so that those who earn far less pay nothing?


    j-mac
    Who should carry the heavy burden? Those who can. I know the evil poor should be burdened as much as possible. Scoodge understood that well.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #200
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama will not extend Bush tax cuts to wealthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Who should carry the heavy burden? Those who can. I know the evil poor should be burdened as much as possible. Scoodge understood that well.

    Why should we adpot Marx's views for this country, they have failed every other time.....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •