Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 221

Thread: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

  1. #71
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    41
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    whats your point? there are people in China, Darfur, and Bosnia being killed today...better yet, go to iran..you speak out, you die...

    injustice going on everywhere...

    Burning Qu'ran's does not support your cause genius...

    PS. Burn all the qurans in teh world...burn all teh torahs in teh world, burn all the Bibles in teh world to the point where there are none left....

    the Quran will be the only book to be brought back within a few days...why you ask? because it is put to memory by millions of Muslims.

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    I am against this, and the Christian radio station I was listening to on my way home spoke out against this too. One thing I did find hypocritical was in Afghanistan they burned US flags and an effigy of the pastor of this church as a pre-protest against what this church plans to do on 9/11. To be honest these foolish Afghanis need a smack in the mouth. I condemn what this church wants to do, and as a Christian I am appalled by their behavior.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #73
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Think of it in terms of the business. Comedy Central has more to lose by willing choosing to cause the possible deaths of it's employees rather then censoring, and most likely boosting the ratings of, a show many Americans don't watch.

    Is there a limit? that is up for each public/private company to decide on it's self. Personally if I received a letter to my business from an extremist that was going to blow the place up tomorrow I would tell my employees to work from home until the police or FBI gave the all clear. Even then I am sure some employees would still be scared to come back to the office. I would NOT force them to come to work screaming "If we are going to die we will die united against terrorism!".
    So you do think broadcast and tv stations should cater to terrorist threats. Someone sends a terrorist threat to a tv station if they do not stop airing Will and Grace and you would be okay with that tv station caving in and no longer airing Will and Grace. If you cave to them one thing then they will assume you will cave on something else.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Let me open with this disclaimer. I do NOT condone what this church in Florida plans to do. I think it is intolerant, and inciting while American lives are in direct contact danger in the ME.

    But I would like to delve beyond the usual argument here, and discuss why it is ok, seemingly, for members of Islam to constantly desecrate things like the American Flag, and burn churches and bibles over there, while here it raises nary a story, but have one whacked church here threaten to burn a Koran, and all hell breaks loose in the press, and on the ground there.


    j-mac
    So does this minimise the behaviour of the American church? If you condemn the American church (you don't go that far, I note, you just 'don't condone', not quite the same thing) then you'd have to condemn inflammatory behaviour wherever it occurs. I've got no problem condemning Bible burning and flag burning and I don't believe that burning the symbols of the opposite's religion mitigates the behaviour one iota. It just perpetuates hatred.
    But I would like to delve beyond the usual argument here
    No, this is the usual argument here. The Islamists do it and that's okay, Christians do it and the liberals go mental. That is the usual strawman argument.

    Bible burning gets reported too. With much brou-ha-ha and soul searching.
    Pitched battle for young Muslim minds | The Australian
    And not just by non-Christians.
    North Carolina church plans Halloween Bible burning - Telegraph
    I have never read anyone purporting to support western pluralistic values arguing that Bible burning is okay. Have you read that somewhere? Anywhere? Well, apart from amongst the religious extremists who don't understand the irony of their actions, and don't support western pluralistic values.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #75
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Don't be shocked. We are merely back on history's course. Two World Wars and a Cold War merely distracted us. It had been made clear since 1991 that the tribes were back. And it has become obvious that this new century is going to haqve a religious theme attached to it. Virtually every religion on earth is going through an internal struggle of identity and they are getting worse. With 9/11, we saw the beginning of a new phase in theongoing cross and crescent wars.
    Yeah, I suppose religious fanatics being unable to tolerate eachother's different beliefs is nothing new.

    It aint me, that's for damn sure. No matter how much I don't agree with tehir teachings and law, etc - I won't be a brat about like that.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #76
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,602

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No need to sugarcoat it, VanceMack.

    Why not just say what's on your mind?

    But I agree with you. Everyone has the responsibility to speak out and act against terrorism and its supporters, and it should be as publicly vilified as any other crime against humanity..
    We have video and photographic evidence (and some wonderful audio) of Muslim extremists teaching their children to slaughter people...chanting their love for Allah while the slowly behead living human beings. Then they all whoop and dance and exalt in their glorious cause. Now...others can fool themselves into believing you can negotiate with sick ****ing twists like that...but all it does is strengthen them. No excuses. No tolerance. There is one answer for them...eliminate them.

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    "Where they burn books, they will ultimately also burn people." Heinrich Heine.

    I'm guessing Pastor Jones is just a few steps behind Torquemada and the Taliban. Give 'em time though.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  8. #78
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,602

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    "Where they burn books, they will ultimately also burn people." Heinrich Heine.

    I'm guessing Pastor Jones is just a few steps behind Torquemada and the Taliban. Give 'em time though.
    I highly doubt it. He seems like a spinless little bitch that only does this because he knows he lives in a country that makes it relatively safe to be a 'radical'. Its kinda like the yappy teenager that runs his mouth at an adult with the relative security of knowing the adult is bound by law to not beat his ass.

    If he wants to really show how radical and awesome he is he should fly to Tehran and have his little book barbeque.

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I highly doubt it. He seems like a spinless little bitch that only does this because he knows he lives in a country that makes it relatively safe to be a 'radical'. Its kinda like the yappy teenager that runs his mouth at an adult with the relative security of knowing the adult is bound by law to not beat his ass.

    If he wants to really show how radical and awesome he is he should fly to Tehran and have his little book barbeque.
    I wasn't discussing his ability, just his intention. He couldn't convert his intention into action, as the Taliban did, because he lives in a western, liberal country where (most) people adhere to the liberal values he abhors.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  10. #80
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Afghans protest U.S. church's plans to torch Koran

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Let me open with this disclaimer. I do NOT condone what this church in Florida plans to do. I think it is intolerant, and inciting while American lives are in direct contact danger in the ME.

    But I would like to delve beyond the usual argument here, and discuss why it is ok, seemingly, for members of Islam to constantly desecrate things like the American Flag, and burn churches and bibles over there, while here it raises nary a story, but have one whacked church here threaten to burn a Koran, and all hell breaks loose in the press, and on the ground there.


    j-mac
    yeah, I'd take their protests a little more seriously if they weren't standing on and burning our flag while they were doing it. to hell with them

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •