Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: The true cost of the Iraq war: $3 trillion and beyond

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: The true cost of the Iraq war: $3 trillion and beyond

    cbo says iraq war cost 709B

    cbo says the stimu... err, recovery act cost 862B

    cbo says the first 2 years of stimu... cost MORE than six years of what's-his-name's war

    Little-known fact: Obama's failed stimulus program cost more than the Iraq war | Washington Examiner

    what do YOU say---what's afghanistan costing?

    did you see this:

    run on kabul bank: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/wo...a/05kabul.html

    panic, they know we're leaving

    and: AFP: US denies taxpayer funds to bail out Kabul Bank

    intervention, hmm? seems we've seen that somewhere before...
    Last edited by The Prof; 09-06-10 at 06:44 PM.

  2. #22
    User Joe The Plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    11-01-10 @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3

    Re: The true cost of the Iraq war: $3 trillion and beyond

    I'd take the CBOs estimates with a grain of salt, surely all the debt that has been incurred through this war hasn't been factored into the CBOs estimate. I wouldn't doubt 3 trillion is a plausible estimate for the cost of this war.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: The true cost of the Iraq war: $3 trillion and beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe The Plumber View Post
    I'd take the CBOs estimates with a grain of salt
    why do you presume anyone cares how you season your food?

    reality is, congress eyes elmendorf as euler

    it's a big part of the problem

  4. #24
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: The true cost of the Iraq war: $3 trillion and beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Bring up Iraq and you get some curious and curiouser replies.


    You think we can call off the war on poverty? It's cost 7 trillion and has made matters worse. At least in Iraq we have had success.


    We were just fighting in Afghanistan with low impact on humans... the problem is it had a higher impact on OUR troops.
    Now I hope they go in and do what is necessary without all the PC BS, and fear of upsetting a few goat herders.


    Start wars for no reason?
    No reason?
    No.
    Reason.


    Waste either time?
    So you wouldn't mind Saddam screwing up the world oil supplies (1st time)?
    Or the chance that after 12-years and a terror attack that actually had the French say they were Americans (for 30 minutes), that the chance of Saddam's WMD ending up wreaking havoc when passed to a terrorist wasn't worth protecting the nation? When Hans Blix stated he had weapnized WMD; VX and ANTHRAX... and Clinton sent Sec. Cohen to inform the people of the threat, and possibility of war.


    Would be nice, but the world doesn't work on Disney justice.
    We might at times, but internationally... nooooooooo.

    .
    Still on WMD? did we find them and the world wasn't told?
    as long as we buy oil from the ME, we are complicit in the raping and pillaging of the American economy, not to mention the waste of our troops dying for nothing.
    Saddam did not attack us.....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #25
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: The true cost of the Iraq war: $3 trillion and beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Still on WMD? did we find them and the world wasn't told?
    as long as we buy oil from the ME, we are complicit in the raping and pillaging of the American economy, not to mention the waste of our troops dying for nothing.
    Saddam did not attack us.....
    Hans Blix stated the case of WMD as well as any Democrat after Saddam booted the Inspecteurs de la UN.

    I agree with the oil bit. We have coal,gas and nukes to exploit. Dems are wedded to the enviromaniac lobby. Those that block efforts for all three.

    Our troops weren't wasted. They achieved something tremendous. None died in vain.

    Saddam didn't attack us... an the standard comeback would be ... and neither did Germany, but let us go a little deeper. Saddam lost a war, agreed to disarm and then spent 12-years proving how corrupt the UN is, how feeble Clinton was with dealing with his oil sales corruption. Hans Blix made the case, as did Sec. Cohen under the direction of Clinton. Clinton sent Cohen out to warn the nation about... the deadly nature of VX and ANTHRAX... because... they believed... as well as the UN, French, Germans, Russians, Brits... that... Saddam had WMD. They also believed he was mad enought to use them. He did after all trigger Gulf War 1. What's the big deal about directing some WMD to people who hate the US as much as you do? (Connecting the dots... remember that?). After 911 he was seen as as threat. He was proven hostile to the US and he had WMD and used them.

    As David Kay noted before the Senate Armed Svcs Cmtt; the chance of a terrorist getting WMD in Iraq was real because of the decay of the system. He believed we might not have dodged the bullet.

    Anything else you want to learn?

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 09-06-10 at 07:35 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The true cost of the Iraq war: $3 trillion and beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Closer to $50B than $3,000B, yes.
    Not really, because the real cost of the war was over 1 trillion dollars. And by real cost, I mean what we actually spent. Not breaking down things into different categories so you don't have to count that as part of the war spending. Thousand of American lives and trillions of our dollars. For a way that wasn't our fight or business in the first place.

    We could have paid for healthcare for all Americans instead of invading Iraq. But we didn't. We spent a **** load on a war, a **** load which is excused so often by the same people who will bitch about a million dollar grant to study bears or something. Pathetic.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •