Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 127

Thread: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

  1. #71
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    mad Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    By historical standards, the labor market is recovering nicely -- job growth has started earlier than in past recessions.
    This is a disingenuousness claim at best, because the unemployment rate just went back up to 9.6 which means Obama's stimulus plan has served no purpose other than to send the deficit into the stratosphere for nothing.

    His plans have failed at every turn like that utterly stupid Cash for Clunkers debacle that cost us tax payers $28.000 per car sold and most of those were for Toyotas, and the dumb ass idea took perfectly serviceable late model cars off the road and put them in the junk yard years ahead of time and killing the used car market that mifg have done some good had this been a well thought out program.

    This is only one example from the Amateur in Chief's less than brilliant Administration and don't get me started on all the damage to come from the Kill Granny I don't care about your health Obama plan and Crap and the Trade B.S.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,296

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    But, how am I supposed to know that Reagan and Bush policies worked if I'm in the present?

    If I were unemployed under Reagan, am I supposed to just sit by and be reassured, that four years later, the jobless rate would return to the same level it was when he took office?

    Or, as you're doing - should I have said - YOU SUCK AND YOUR POLICIES SUCK because RIGHT NOW you have lost jobs under your presidency. Should we have voted against Reagan? Bush? (I wish, but that's beside the point).

    You're saying that we shouldn't have judged them during their terms by the numbers you're using to judge Obama now.

    I'm all right with you hating him and his policies. By the evidence you're providing is precisely the evidence that suggests that we should have thrown out Reagan and Bush during their economic recoveries.
    Because the numbers show that they worked, economic growth in bea.gov and U.S. Treasury in showing growth of revene to the govt. If you were unemployed under Reagan you had the knowledge of an economic policy that promoted private sector growth and that you wouldn't be penalized for taking the risk. same with Bush, not so with Obama.

    I don't hate Obama, but his policies are another story. As for throwing out either Reagan or Bush, why would I do that knowing what their economic policy was, pro growth, pro private sector vs. Obama's pro govt, pro union, and anti private sector. The malaise now says it all, not the case when Reagan or Bush announced their economic plans, but we are getting off track here again as once again another liberal diverts from the thread topic.

    I want to know how anyone can post this is the strongest job growth in decades when the actual numbers prove differently?

  3. #73
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,051

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    these days, you sound like a birther

    carry on
    Earlier you used "bluebook" and now you use "birther." I don't know what you mean by "bluebook," but I'm guessing "birther" means woman? It would be easier to discuss these things if you maintained a measure of maturity and rationality rather than the school yard "nu-uh" mentality and fanaticism. Thus far, you haven't offerred anything worthy of a post for anybody to read. But I won't cut you off. I'm thinking positive and leaving the door open for you to come through with something of worth.
    Last edited by MSgt; 09-04-10 at 06:08 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  4. #74
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Because the numbers show that they worked, economic growth in bea.gov and U.S. Treasury in showing growth of revene to the govt. If you were unemployed under Reagan you had the knowledge of an economic policy that promoted private sector growth and that you wouldn't be penalized for taking the risk. same with Bush, not so with Obama.

    I don't hate Obama, but his policies are another story. As for throwing out either Reagan or Bush, why would I do that knowing what their economic policy was, pro growth, pro private sector vs. Obama's pro govt, pro union, and anti private sector. The malaise now says it all, not the case when Reagan or Bush announced their economic plans, but we are getting off track here again as once again another liberal diverts from the thread topic.

    I want to know how anyone can post this is the strongest job growth in decades when the actual numbers prove differently?
    I've already called the title histrionic, so I'm not one of those, so please don't lump me in with them.

    My point about Reagan and Bush is this: place yourself in 1982 and tell me that Reagan's policies were working. You do realize that at this point in his term, Regan's unemployment rate was 10.1% and was on it's way to a peak of 10.8% in December of that year? How could you, in August, 1982 after watching unemployment climb and climb under Reagan say that you supported his policies at that time based on the evidence OF THAT TIME. You had no evidence that anything he was doing was working when unemployment continued to go up and up and would continue upward for many more months.

    You can only say, in retrospect, that they did anything.

    Now, your first paragraph - fair enough. You can like their policies and dislike Obama's.

    But the point of the OP was this: the unemployment rate is down from a peak of 10.1% to 9.6%. Under Bush and Reagan, it would be nearly another year before jobs caught up to the recovery and the unemployment rate would begin to drop.

    That's not trying to divert from the topic - which is about comparing Obama's recovery to past recoveries; it's pointing out that the unemployment rate under Obama is declining earlier in his recovery than it did under Reagan and Bush. You can hate that (and I'm aware that unemployment rate isn't totally accurate), but it's factual. I will grant you that it's not guaranteed to stay that way.

    But in August, 1982, you couldn't have known for a fact that Reagan's policies were going to work - especially since unemployment would continue to rise for another several months and wouldn't reach matching levels for nearly three years.

    I don't share your views and that's fine. What I'm trying to get people to do is to point to facts. Yes, employment since Obama took office. But it did so under Reagan and Bush. The decline in the unemployment rate began earlier under Obama's term than it did under Reagan and Bush. That's factual. Again, the title of the article is hyperbolic. I said that in an earlier post.

    Here's a chart about private-sector job growth since the Great Recession began:



    The Washington Monthly

    They are different if you count government jobs:



    Additionally, this past quarter's drop in productivity suggests that companies NEED to begin hiring more workers to maintain productivity.

    Productivity decline suggests hiring needed | OregonLive.com

    The Buzz: Productivity drop shows companies need to hire - Yahoo! Finance

    As we all know - they have the cash to do it.

    Corporate Profits Back Up to Nearly Record Highs

    And if things are sooooooo bad for business, why are profits back up to record highs - both by basic numbers and as a percentage of GDP?

  5. #75
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,296

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    FilmFestGuy;1058963951]I've already called the title histrionic, so I'm not one of those, so please don't lump me in with them.

    My point about Reagan and Bush is this: place yourself in 1982 and tell me that Reagan's policies were working. You do realize that at this point in his term, Regan's unemployment rate was 10.1% and was on it's way to a peak of 10.8% in December of that year? How could you, in August, 1982 after watching unemployment climb and climb under Reagan say that you supported his policies at that time based on the evidence OF THAT TIME. You had no evidence that anything he was doing was working when unemployment continued to go up and up and would continue upward for many more months.
    I lived and worked during the Reagan years, I was 34-42 during the era so I have a very good perspective of what happened and the attitude of the country. I watched the Unemployment climb and watched the Congress argue the Reagan tax cuts that didn't get passed until August 1981. the 10-10-5% cuts led to the cries of the Democrats about massive debt when the reality was they doubled the govt. revenue and led to a massive economic expansion. Think the Obama policies will do the same?

    Obama economic plan went into effect Feb. 2, 2009 due to the Democrat Congress and here we are almost 2 years later with the claim of strongest job creation in decades. That is quite a stretch and distortion.

    You can only say, in retrospect, that they did anything.
    I really don't have a lot of use for your charts because they aren't supported by the only source credible when it comes to job creation and unemployment, the Bureau of Labor Statistics. I posted the results that shows employment down by over 3 million and unemployment up to almost 16 million. I don't call that a success story

    the rest of your post has nothing to do with the thread topic even though it presents a distorted view of the Obama record. No business is going to hire with the uncertainty as to the costs of the Obama Agenda. We know what the cost of the Reagan and Bush agendas were for private business, nothing and that boosted incentive and job growth.

    Businesses aren't going to hire and since payroll is the largest expense a business has their profits are going to be strong. For every dollar of expense cut that is a dollar of profit generated, for every dollar of revenue generated that is about about .05-35 cents in profit.

  6. #76
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I lived and worked during the Reagan years, I was 34-42 during the era so I have a very good perspective of what happened and the attitude of the country. I watched the Unemployment climb and watched the Congress argue the Reagan tax cuts that didn't get passed until August 1981. the 10-10-5% cuts led to the cries of the Democrats about massive debt when the reality was they doubled the govt. revenue and led to a massive economic expansion. Think the Obama policies will do the same?

    Obama economic plan went into effect Feb. 2, 2009 due to the Democrat Congress and here we are almost 2 years later with the claim of strongest job creation in decades. That is quite a stretch and distortion.



    I really don't have a lot of use for your charts because they aren't supported by the only source credible when it comes to job creation and unemployment, the Bureau of Labor Statistics. I posted the results that shows employment down by over 3 million and unemployment up to almost 16 million. I don't call that a success story

    the rest of your post has nothing to do with the thread topic even though it presents a distorted view of the Obama record. No business is going to hire with the uncertainty as to the costs of the Obama Agenda. We know what the cost of the Reagan and Bush agendas were for private business, nothing and that boosted incentive and job growth.

    Businesses aren't going to hire and since payroll is the largest expense a business has their profits are going to be strong. For every dollar of expense cut that is a dollar of profit generated, for every dollar of revenue generated that is about about .05-35 cents in profit.
    If you would ever follow links, you'd see that the source for both charts was...wait for it...BLS.gov! Wow! You've no use for the numbers you claim to believe in?

  7. #77
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Jobs recovery is stronger than past recessions - Sep. 2, 2010

    Also from the article:



    Now I would like to ask the folks out there in the audience this question:

    If a second stimulus is needed to avoid a secondary and possibly more severe recession, would you be in favour of it?

    Although the question is irrelevent as the White House has said there will be no second stimulus.

    I think many people out there seriously underestimate just how severe this recession is, and that there is no magic fix for it.
    It's a complete and total lie. This administration is always extreme. Worse recession in the history of man, and then the strongest recovery in the history of the universe. It's bull****!!!
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #78
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    It's a complete and total lie. This administration is always extreme. Worse recession in the history of man, and then the strongest recovery in the history of the universe. It's bull****!!!
    Well, it's agreed across-the-board that this was the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

    And it wasn't the administration saying it's the "strongest recovery in history". It's a hyperbolic columnist.

    But, when you're a hyperbolic partisan, it's hard to see that.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,296

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    If you would ever follow links, you'd see that the source for both charts was...wait for it...BLS.gov! Wow! You've no use for the numbers you claim to believe in?
    The only charts that matter are the number of unemployed and the number employed. What you posted shows the temporary govt. employees for the census. I cannot believe how gullible some people are! Our economy wasn't built on those Obama economic principles and that is why his poll numbers are so poor.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,296

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Well, it's agreed across-the-board that this was the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

    And it wasn't the administration saying it's the "strongest recovery in history". It's a hyperbolic columnist.

    But, when you're a hyperbolic partisan, it's hard to see that.
    Try having a 17%+ mortgage interest rate and double digit inflation. You don't have a clue what a bad economy is.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •