Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 127

Thread: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

  1. #41
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Of course it is an understanding of economic reality.

    Tell me, when has the conservative thinking of economic lazzie-faire ever worked? By worked I mean, created economic growth, jobs and a surplus... in the last 30 years.. NEVER. Hence the economic thinking is flawed on so many levels.
    A budget surplus is not a prerequisite for a robust economy. Most economists will tell you that running low budget deficits as a percentage of the GDP, is not a problem. The early 80's through 2007 was one of the most, if not the most prosperous periods in US history. The only real hiccup was between the attacks of 9/11/2001 and the summer of 2003. Over that 20+ year period, unemployment was low, economic growth was strong, and the stock market was booming. During those years, we only ran a budget surplus 4 times.

    The economic policies of both Reagan and Bush Jr brought us out of recessions, created jobs and returned America to economic growth. Reagan laid the groundwork for 2 decades of American prosperity, and Bush's policies resulted in the most consecutive months of positive job creation in American history. If Bush would have been more of a fiscal conservative instead of spending like a democrat, He would have likely had a surplus in 2007.

  2. #42
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,725

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Jobs recovery is stronger than past recessions - Sep. 2, 2010

    Also from the article:



    Now I would like to ask the folks out there in the audience this question:

    If a second stimulus is needed to avoid a secondary and possibly more severe recession, would you be in favour of it?

    Although the question is irrelevent as the White House has said there will be no second stimulus.

    I think many people out there seriously underestimate just how severe this recession is, and that there is no magic fix for it.
    Recovery? You have to be kidding. The only reason that job losses are fewer is because we have already lost so many jobs that there are fewer jobs to lose, so there are fewer job losses. A recovery is when we begin getting jobs back, not losing fewer of them.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #43
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,986

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Ironic, since it was the lack of government that got you into the ****hole you are in now.. ahh the irony of American conservative economic thinking!

    American conservative thinking = lets **** up the economy with lazzie-faire policies so our friends can get rich, and then to fix the problem... do more of the same!
    I really detest agreeing with a European. We have to re-invent again and strike a better balance between structured capitalism and socialism. But not too much socialism. Such things make high unemployment numbers the norm.
    Last edited by MSgt; 09-03-10 at 04:44 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  4. #44
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Recovering nicely?


    Employment Situation Summary


    283,000 jobs lost this summer. You call that "recovery"?
    How many of these jobs were part time or census based?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #45
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    A budget surplus is not a prerequisite for a robust economy. Most economists will tell you that running low budget deficits as a percentage of the GDP, is not a problem. The early 80's through 2007 was one of the most, if not the most prosperous periods in US history. The only real hiccup was between the attacks of 9/11/2001 and the summer of 2003. Over that 20+ year period, unemployment was low, economic growth was strong, and the stock market was booming. During those years, we only ran a budget surplus 4 times.

    The economic policies of both Reagan and Bush Jr brought us out of recessions, created jobs and returned America to economic growth. Reagan laid the groundwork for 2 decades of American prosperity, and Bush's policies resulted in the most consecutive months of positive job creation in American history. If Bush would have been more of a fiscal conservative instead of spending like a democrat, He would have likely had a surplus in 2007.
    You have yet to site the "hands off" approach. Instead, you merely describe military Keynesianism (which gives strength to your opposition).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    If a second stimulus is needed to avoid a secondary and possibly more severe recession, would you be in favour of it?
    No,of course not.

    Since the last Porkulus Stimulus package didn't do anything but by votes for the politicians who are causing the problem in the first place, since my little girls will have to pay for that nonsense until they're ancient, no.

    The answer to the issue of job creation is cutting taxes across the board, especially cutting the taxes on the people who pay the taxes (duh!), and cutting government spending.

    Like you said, there's no magic fix.

    Tax cuts aren't magic. They're common sense.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    I really detest agreeing with a European. We have to re-invent again and strike a better balance between structured capitalism and socialism. But not too much socialism. Such things make high unemployment numbers the norm.
    That's absolutely right.

    The best balance between capitalism and socialism is 100% capitalism, 0% socialism.

    We should try it some time. Every time we get closer to real capitalism, the economy does better.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    How many of these jobs were part time or census based?
    Should ask the same question about the jobs "created or saved" this summer.

  9. #49
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Ironic, since it was the lack of government that got you into the ****hole you are in now.. ahh the irony of American conservative economic thinking!
    Ironic? the only thing i find ironic is that there are people who actually claim that. yeah, George Bush; a regular Von Mises, there.

  10. #50
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,986

    Re: Strongest jobs recovery in decades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    That's absolutely right.

    The best balance between capitalism and socialism is 100% capitalism, 0% socialism.

    We should try it some time. Every time we get closer to real capitalism, the economy does better.
    Well, we already practice socialism to a degree. Social Security and welfare have existed for some time. Roosevelt's 2nd Bill of Rights would have gone a long way to keeping a more equal balance in America. But a 100% capitalism is heartless for a nation that has a long history of being otherwise. It's bad enough that our corporations (Wal-Mart, Nike, etc) screw over many workers abroad, but they absolutely screw over Americans in our own backyards. We need to be Americans first and corporations second. Since around the 80s, we have reversed that. Washington caters to corporations long before it caters to Americans, which is why some of these billion dollar industries actually get money back on tax day while us little folk stress over whether or not we are going to have to pay for any kind of fortune that may have befallen upon us over the year.

    We also have to consider the environment. We are in a "Progress Trap." This is a term best explained using Easter Island. This island used to saturated with forest. Over the centuries, the indigenous people hacked down trees to use as rollers to move their rock carved heads around the island. At one point, the trees were becoming scarce and this is where rock heads started to be left on the coasts. Eventually, one guy visited the last tree on that island and hacked it down. What this means is that people had a sense of progress in their heads with these carved heads and no matter how obvious the end was, they continued as if committing suicide.

    Another example of the "Progress Trap" is in Canada. I forget what the site is called, but it was a location where hunters thousands of years ago used to run hundreds of bison over a cliff. They had evolved their hunting abilities to the point where they figured out that they didn't even have to try. They could just herd hundreds of them off a cliff and pick a few out for dinner. Eventually, they killed out all the game like this. They knew that the herds were becoming harder and harder to find, yet they practiced this until starvation took them or they migrated to find food elsewhere.

    Capitalism is a progress trap in today's civilization. We see the rain forests, the oceans, and ecosystems being destroyed exponentially year after year, yet we continue to "progress" and push as if we can't see an end. 100% capitalism is not good for the economy as a whole, people as a whole, and the environment as a whole. Right now we consume 130% of what the earth can produce a year. This is mostly all through capitalism and it is the very few in corporate offices who are getting rich. In the mean time the bison are runnning out and the Easter Island heads can't be moved as they once could.
    Last edited by MSgt; 09-03-10 at 05:24 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •