Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 284

Thread: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

  1. #201
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Hey genus, from your own link, small business represent 99.7 percent of all employer firms. Employ half of all private sector employees, Pay 44 percent of total private payroll, generated 64 percent of new jobs over the past 15 years, create more than half of the no farm gdp, plus they produce 13 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms.

    My question to you is,why did the Republicans in the Senate block a bill to increase small business lending? Now do you want to debate this subject or are you here just to post s***while doing a drive by?

    Wow! Just wow....Cyborg comes up with, and takes the time to post a wonderfully thoughtful, and realistic lay out of how a small business needs to have assets, and capital resource to stay afloat in economic down turns like the one liberals, and Obama are purposely causing today, while giving the masses phony numbers to placate them. And the best you can come up with is talking point garbage?

    Weak dude, very weak.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #202
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Your a real hoot prof...it took you two minutes to edit this post so that even you could understand what you posted.
    spoken like a true personality whore

    meanwhile robert reich, secty of labor, key contributor to the clinton economic team:

    "67,000 in August may be better than expected, but it’s still awful. 125,000 are needed just for the growth in potential workforce. And the trend is moving in the wrong direction. Revised figure shows private sector created 107,000 jobs in July. In other words, things are getting worse, not better."

    Obama's optimism on the economy justified? - The Arena | POLITICO.COM

    ouch

    these clintonistas, led by serpent headed cajun james carville, are NOT loyal

    as for barry's small business bill, republicans will kill it until leadership allows amendments on the floor addressing this:

    Health care law's hidden tax change to launch 1099 avalanche - May. 5, 2010

    harry knows if he opens up debate he'll lose conrad, lieberman, nelson, bayh, dorgan, lincoln...

    party on!

  3. #203
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the socialists claim we gain so much more by being soaked by scumbag politicians such as Obama who appeal to the socialists,the parasites, the envious and the slothful to vote for Obama because he is going to soak the wealthy.
    Obama, the Great,
    The Great Divider that is.

    I've never seen this country more divided, in so many different ways, than it is today.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  4. #204
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    exactly, socialists tend to think that getting a large salary is a benefit from the government which it is not. They seem to forget that those who earn a lot have usually done something economically valuable or useful. FOr example, if Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, JP Jones and Bonzo's son Jason announce a world tour tomorrow, they would sell 100 million in tickets within a day. Is the government giving them 100 million or is it that a million people believe hearing Led Zeppelin play live is worth-to each of them-100 dollars of entertainment?

    Hoplite and those like him assume that those who earn alot are "Given something" when in reality they are trading value for value
    I get the impression that they don't just think the rich are "given something" but they are somehow cheating people to get that money.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  5. #205
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Watch CNBC or Fox Business and you will understand. Companies have no clue what's coming next from this administration. They won't invest their money in their businesses or expand their workforce when they have no clue how much money this administration is going to make them pay in taxes, via Cap & Trade and Obamacare. As long as this anti-business environment exists, companies are going to continue to sit on their money.
    I'll agree with this point. It would make sense for any company - be it a Fortune 500 company or a small business - to sit down and try to figure out how his business will be affected in the near future by changes in such legistlation as healthcare reform, credit card reform and financial reform. But none of that justifies these same companies who have received government bailouts laying off thousands of employees while their CEOs who mismanaged these very same companies walk away with millions in severage pay and bonuses when they resign. Those who view this as an individual "earning more of what they keep" have definately drunk much too much of the corporate/GOP koolaid!

    You don't earn money when your company's portfolio goes south.

    You don't earn money when your company's stock declines in value.

    You don't earn money when you quit on the company you mismanaged.

    And you don't deserve to walk away with millions while your former employees are forced out the door with nothing but what little savings they may have or what unemployment benefits they may be entitled to. And before anyone from the GOP partly line says it, these people who were laided off because their former bosses (CEOs) mismanaged their companies didn't deserve to loss the money they rightly were earning. Would you claim these people among the lazy, no-good, do-for-nothings who just sit around collecting paychecks off the government? As Conservative is fond of saying, "Where's your outrage?"
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 09-04-10 at 01:47 PM.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    20% of a person's income means a lot more when you're making $30,000 a year as opposed to $3,000,000 a year. I feel that if you have more to contribute, the benefits you gain by having that extra in our society means you should contribute more.

    I'm not sure I agree so much. It depends on the life style of each. The person with 3,000,000 is contributing more by the way. He's probably wondering why you're contributing so little to the government.

    Look at the upside. People would be encouraged to make as much as they could without worry of getting into a higher tax bracket.
    Anything is preferable to the tax system we have. We could pretty much do away with the IRS.
    Though actually I think I favor a consumption tax, where you aren't taxed until you spend. That way even drug dealers, etc. would be contributing.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #207
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Corporations are in business to make money and maximize profits. In fact, they are in violation of their charters if they do otherwise. If they are laying off people, that is their right. It doesn't necessarily make them evil people. After all, we don't want to force a company into bankruptcy by forcing bloat on them. If they go bankrupt, let it be because they themselves are responsible, not because the government forced it on them. Let me add, by the same token, if they go under, then don't bail them out. Let the market determine whether or not they stay in business. The government should act like a government, and not a charity for big business.
    This is accurate, but Hewlitt-Packard (the example company) is the prime example of rewarding CEOs for terrible performance. Hell, Carly Fiorino is running saying she created jobs, when in actuality she just fired a bunch of people, lost shareholder value, got fired, and then waltzed off with a huge golden parachute payment. Now, this guy gets charged with sexual harassment, the company loses money again, they fire more people, and he gets $24 million to celebrate with.

    What I'm sick of are people thinking that CEOs are somehow more glorious and wonderful, while government servers are self-serving - when in reality, they're all of the same ilk.

    I don't trust them any more than I trust government.

    And here's why:



    CEO salaries up 300% since 1995. Have profits risen 300% during that time? No. They didn't.

    CEOs are fat, bloated, and extremely overpaid.

    If you fail to see that over the past couple of decades this nation has devalued work and over-valued wealth, then you're simply not paying attention.

    And look here:



    This is entirely an American phenomenon. In most other nations, CEOs aren't paid 400 to 500 times their employees. They're well compensated ($200,000 to $1.7 million), but it's not quite so outrageous. And their companies are equally as successful. Why is that?

    Maybe it's because they understand that the CEO isn't the ONLY reason for being profitable? Whereas in this country we seem to deem them to be all-knowing sages who apparently are the only ones deserving of reward - whether they succeed or not.

  8. #208
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Hey genus, from your own link, small business represent 99.7 percent of all employer firms. Employ half of all private sector employees, Pay 44 percent of total private payroll, generated 64 percent of new jobs over the past 15 years, create more than half of the no farm gdp, plus they produce 13 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms.

    My question to you is,why did the Republicans in the Senate block a bill to increase small business lending? Now do you want to debate this subject or are you here just to post s***while doing a drive by?
    Being able to borrow isn't the biggest problem the small business has. They aren't going to borrow if they don't know if they can pay it back. This administration has caused so much uncertainty no one is going to start a new business or expand when they have no idea what's coming down the road. They need permanent tax cuts. They need to know what's in the HC bill. They need to know what new regulations are coming their way concerning any cap and trade or energy bill.
    Borrowing money is probably the farthest thing from their minds.
    I'm glad the Rep. are continuing to say no to more spending.
    People will get off their money when they are comfortable about investing it.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  9. #209
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Moreover, the fact that these companies have NOT been successful is the strongest evidence yet that tax-cuts have not worked as affectively as proclaimed. If they did, why the hell have these businessed failed? Why haven't the jobs continued to be there even in a down economy? The tax-cuts are still in place, right? So, why aren't they making the difference so many are claiming they make?

  10. #210
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Corporations are in business to make money and maximize profits. In fact, they are in violation of their charters if they do otherwise. If they are laying off people, that is their right. It doesn't necessarily make them evil people. After all, we don't want to force a company into bankruptcy by forcing bloat on them. If they go bankrupt, let it be because they themselves are responsible, not because the government forced it on them. Let me add, by the same token, if they go under, then don't bail them out. Let the market determine whether or not they stay in business. The government should act like a government, and not a charity for big business.
    This thread isn't about corporations making money, it's about greedy CEO's laying off workers and getting compenated for it.


Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •