Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 284

Thread: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

  1. #171
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,519

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    exactly, socialists tend to think that getting a large salary is a benefit from the government which it is not. They seem to forget that those who earn a lot have usually done something economically valuable or useful. FOr example, if Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, JP Jones and Bonzo's son Jason announce a world tour tomorrow, they would sell 100 million in tickets within a day. Is the government giving them 100 million or is it that a million people believe hearing Led Zeppelin play live is worth-to each of them-100 dollars of entertainment?

    Hoplite and those like him assume that those who earn alot are "Given something" when in reality they are trading value for value
    That's because socialists tend to believe that all money belongs to the government and we're all simply using it, by their permission.

    Plus, they tend to believe in things like "zero-sum."
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #172
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    this kind of greed is what makes everyday workers snap. the board members taking care of each other, a good old boys club. **** em. they run a business into the ground, then get PAID for it.


    CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions - Business - U.S. business - msnbc.com

    Why does a business exist? Yes, to enrich those whom have invested money into the company.

    Workers are not the purpose of a Business.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #173
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That's because socialists tend to believe that all money belongs to the government and we're all simply using it, by their permission.
    Not actually true. Why not try asking a Socialist what they believe instead of making up what sounds good and calling it a day? Less fun, I know, but more intellectually honest.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So why does it matter that they have accumulated that wealth?
    Im confused as to what your point is.

    My point is that they don't get any of those benefits in exchange for paying extra taxes, they get those benefits in exchange for paying extra money (should they choose to). The fact that you pay a lot in taxes does not in and of itself do anything for you.
    No one expressly comes around and ensures they have all these benefits, but our society is almost unequivocally set up to give these benefits to those with greater wealth

    Externalities may not be tangible, but they're still a factor.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  4. #174
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,519

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Not actually true. Why not try asking a Socialist what they believe instead of making up what sounds good and calling it a day? Less fun, I know, but more intellectually honest.
    Oh, I've had the conversation many times. And if you're going to be on a kick about "intellectual honesty," you might note that I said "tend to," not "all do."
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #175
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Im confused as to what your point is.

    No one expressly comes around and ensures they have all these benefits, but our society is almost unequivocally set up to give these benefits to those with greater wealth

    Externalities may not be tangible, but they're still a factor.
    Turtledude is arguing that these people pay more in taxes than they are getting back. You responded by arguing that they obtain all sorts of special benefits. My point is that they get those benefits if and when they choose to pay for them. They do not get those benefits automatically by virtue of paying more income taxes than other people. Accordingly, the argument that these people are getting special benefits in exchange for their increased tax burden is incorrect.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #176
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Turtledude is arguing that these people pay more in taxes than they are getting back. You responded by arguing that they obtain all sorts of special benefits. My point is that they get those benefits if and when they choose to pay for them. They do not get those benefits automatically by virtue of paying more income taxes than other people. Accordingly, the argument that these people are getting special benefits in exchange for their increased tax burden is incorrect.
    My argument is they DO get these benefits automatically by being wealthy and increasing the tax burden on them accordingly is a justifiable course of action
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  7. #177
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    My argument is they DO get these benefits automatically by being wealthy and increasing the tax burden on them accordingly is a justifiable course of action
    What an absolutely absurd argument to make. There is NO justification for forcing one person to pay more %wise of their income then another person.

    I don't care if you make 15k or 150k, we should ALL pay an equal %. To say otherwise is to believe success should be punished.

    And that's EXACTLY what you are doing.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #178
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,519

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    My argument is they DO get these benefits automatically by being wealthy and increasing the tax burden on them accordingly is a justifiable course of action
    Break down how that works, exactly and specifically.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #179
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    My argument is they DO get these benefits automatically by being wealthy and increasing the tax burden on them accordingly is a justifiable course of action
    Exactly how do those people get those benefits automatically? Every single example you've mentioned is something that people can choose to acquire, not something that is part of earning more money.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #180
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: CEOs lay off thousands, rake in millions

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    What an absolutely absurd argument to make. There is NO justification for forcing one person to pay more %wise of their income then another person.

    I don't care if you make 15k or 150k, we should ALL pay an equal %. To say otherwise is to believe success should be punished.

    And that's EXACTLY what you are doing.
    20% of a person's income means a lot more when you're making $30,000 a year as opposed to $3,000,000 a year. I feel that if you have more to contribute, the benefits you gain by having that extra in our society means you should contribute more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Break down how that works, exactly and specifically.
    I've already laid it out previously, scroll back

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Exactly how do those people get those benefits automatically? Every single example you've mentioned is something that people can choose to acquire, not something that is part of earning more money.
    Favorable and preferential treatment by society is automatic
    I'm Done

    See my last post

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •