Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Climate change lies are exposed

  1. #11
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by damianvincent View Post
    Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling

    Over the past year, anecdotal evidence for a cooling planet has exploded. China has its coldest winter in 100 years. Baghdad sees its first snow in all recorded history. North America has the most snowcover in 50 years, with places like Wisconsin the highest since record-keeping began. Record levels of Antarctic sea ice, record cold in Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Greece, South Africa, Greenland, Argentina, Chile -- the list goes on and on.

    No more than anecdotal evidence, to be sure. But now, that evidence has been supplanted by hard scientific fact. All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously.

    A compiled list of all the sources can be seen here. The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C -- a value large enough to wipe out most of the warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year's time. For all four sources, it's the single fastest temperature change ever recorded, either up or down.

    Scientists quoted in a past DailyTech article link the cooling to reduced solar activity which they claim is a much larger driver of climate change than man-made greenhouse gases.

    DailyTech - Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling
    Oh no, a global cooling article.

    DailyTech - Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling

    The graph for HadCRUT (above), as well as the linked graphs for RSS and UAH are generated month-to-month; the temperature declines span a full 12 months of data. The linked GISS graph was graphed for the months of January only, due to a limitation in the plotting program. Anthony Watts, who kindly provided the graphics, otherwise has no connection with the column. The views and comments are those of the author only.
    Short Sharp Science: Who sparked the global cooling myth?

    They say that in the 1970s, climate scientists claimed that we were headed for a mini ice-age. They then point out that this never happened, and so question the strength of current predictions that the globe will be between 2 and 5 °C warmer by 2100.

    Fair enough. But was there ever a consensus over global cooling in the 1970s?

    A few climate scientists have now scanned through the research literature of the time. For 1965 to 1979, they found seven articles that predicted cooling, 44 that predicted warming and 20 that were neutral. The results are being published in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.
    You can also read summaries on RealClimate and on ScienceNews, though if you're interested in how the myth of global cooling was turned on its head, it is well worth reading the researchers' own version, which is freely available (as a PDF).

    In other words, it appears there was not a scientific consensus over global cooling. So what created the fuss?

    Possibly a careful selection of news items by certain politicians. According to the version of the study currently available online:
    When the myth of the 1970s global cooling scare arises in contemporary discussion over climate change, it is most often in the form of citations not to the scientific literature, but to news media coverage. That is where US Senator James Inhofe turned for much of the evidence to support his argument in a Senate floor speech in 2003 (Inhofe 2003). Chief among his evidence was a frequently cited Newsweek story: "The Cooling World" (Gwynne 1975).
    Last edited by Hatuey; 08-31-10 at 02:38 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #12
    User damianvincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-10 @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Do you understand that everything you just listed is very disturbing evidence of Global Warming?

    I don't know if you're new to this subject or what, but let me explain a few things:

    Global Warming does not mean the end of Winter or cold weather. It actually means longer, colder winters.

    All temperature, ice storms, snow, blizzards, freezing cold weather is a function of one thing... Heat.

    Also, check your sources when you read about 'Global Cooling' - you're usually two clicks away from an industry front group financing fake 'science' websites to confuse voters/consumers.

    Stick with the real scientists:

    Climate Change: NASA's Eyes on the Earth
    I do know a little bit here in this regard, and I'll remind you it's NASA's own temperature monitors recording this data. You can't have your cake and eat it too, global warming doomsdayers argue that the increase in Co2 is warming the planet, in a greenhouse effect. Sure we can get real wild in hollywood type science fiction and talk about the injection of fresh waters into the conveyor belt, and it's effect upon norther hemisphere's temperatures, but if you'd argue we're far enough along this 'doomsday' scenario to have reached that point, clearly we're not going to agree. Point being that all four major temperature tracking outlets are showing a major dip in global temperatures on average. Another point is that there are far more forces at play than the global warming doomsdayers enter into their equations, like the sun spot count, last time we hit such a solar minimum we experienced what is known as the little ice age here on Earth.
    The Obama Deficit

  3. #13
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    From my perspective I see the "Environmental Movement" with three main thrusts.

    #1. Governmental control, It's another slice off the loaf reducing your personal rights to decide. When the new electric meters go into effect the Gov. will tell you how much you can use.
    #2. A ploy to raise taxes based on false claims because Liberals have unquenchable need to spend more on less for things we don't need.
    #3. Environmental Groups keep the HOAX alive for profit. They may be non profit, however thos at the top make a great deal of money.

    At the outset most of the environmental goals were worthy of note but that was years ago. It's like the March of Dimes when Polio was under control and they had to look around for a new cause or look for a real job.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Not according the report. Maybe you should read it before opening your mouth.

    Obviously some writer at Express.uk has an agenda and put her own little spin on the report. Anybody who took one minute to read the actual report could see that.

    The article is over-the-top laughably bias and full of misinformation and spin.

    What's really funny is how hard you partisan deniers will work to find one writer, one op-ed piece that you can use. You will search and search until you find writer with an agenda willing write a b.s. misleading article. Doesn't that tell you something?

    The only thing the OP confirms is that a few so-called reporters have their own agenda. Thank you, we already know that.

    Thankfully, the scientific community IPCC, NASA, the majority of researchers in climate related fields are all still in agreement.
    Hazl, you get busted on a daily basis spewing... spin. Do you really think anyone READS what you post anymore?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #15
    User damianvincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-10 @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    Wow, are you trying to compare the hard data, to a newsweek article from the 70's? I'll agree with you that the Senator who used that article to argue anything a moron, but once more the data is the data, and the full years chart is right here...



    Clearly it's hard to have a greenhouse effect going on, and see such sharp drops in temperatures, it erased the past 100 years of warming. Their are many more vehicles in this equation than the global warming alarmists are factoring in, such as extraterrestrial activity, and hopefully I don't need to clarify this but I will I'm talking about solar activity, magnetic field stability, not aliens.

    My whole point with this is that the alarmist behavior from groups who survive off government grants and the likes, is clearly hyperbole. The entire picture is not being presented. Worst of all, we see things like cap and trade working it's way through the Congress based on such nonsense, which will cause serious damage to our already fragile economy.
    The Obama Deficit

  6. #16
    User damianvincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-10 @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    From my perspective I see the "Environmental Movement" with three main thrusts.

    #1. Governmental control, It's another slice off the loaf reducing your personal rights to decide. When the new electric meters go into effect the Gov. will tell you how much you can use.
    #2. A ploy to raise taxes based on false claims because Liberals have unquenchable need to spend more on less for things we don't need.
    #3. Environmental Groups keep the HOAX alive for profit. They may be non profit, however thos at the top make a great deal of money.

    At the outset most of the environmental goals were worthy of note but that was years ago. It's like the March of Dimes when Polio was under control and they had to look around for a new cause or look for a real job.
    No it's definitely profit, most of the 'scientific' groups survive off government grants, how many billions do you think our government alone have thrust into them over this doomsday BS they've hoisted upon us?
    The Obama Deficit

  7. #17
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by damianvincent View Post
    Wow, are you trying to compare the hard data, to a newsweek article from the 70's? I'll agree with you that the Senator who used that article to argue anything a moron, but once more the data is the data, and the full years chart is right here...



    Clearly it's hard to have a greenhouse effect going on, and see such sharp drops in temperatures, it erased the past 100 years of warming. Their are many more vehicles in this equation than the global warming alarmists are factoring in, such as extraterrestrial activity, and hopefully I don't need to clarify this but I will I'm talking about solar activity, magnetic field stability, not aliens.

    My whole point with this is that the alarmist behavior from groups who survive off government grants and the likes, is clearly hyperbole. The entire picture is not being presented. Worst of all, we see things like cap and trade working it's way through the Congress based on such nonsense, which will cause serious damage to our already fragile economy.
    Did you seriously use one ****ing year as proof of a cooling trend?

    2010 is, so far, the hottest on record ever. There's a reason people use decades when describing temperature trends: temperature is a very "noisy" signal. It varies a lot in the short term, you need a much longer period to establish a trend.

    The trend is clearly up. Anyone who says otherwise is goddamned delusional.

    Also, those other factors? Very clearly and specifically factored in. You're full of **** when you claim otherwise. You wouldn't even know about those other factors if it weren't for the works of these same groups of scientists.

    Cap and trade didn't even make a floor vote. It's dead. But have fun with your conspiracy theories.
    Last edited by Deuce; 08-31-10 at 10:18 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    132

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Stick with the real scientists:

    Climate Change: NASA's Eyes on the Earth
    Agreed. Since I'm not a rocket scientist, I will accept the information of those that are:
    9 Ways NASA Can Tackle Climate Change: Scientific American

    Earth Science data and services directory: Global Change Master Directory Web Site

  9. #19
    User damianvincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-10 @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Did you seriously use one ****ing year as proof of a cooling trend?

    2010 is, so far, the hottest on record ever. There's a reason people use decades when describing temperature trends: temperature is a very "noisy" signal. It varies a lot in the short term, you need a much longer period to establish a trend.

    The trend is clearly up. Anyone who says otherwise is goddamned delusional.
    I used it to show that nearly 100 years of warming was wiped out in one year, and to prove that their are more factors at play than the alarmists factor in, that's the third time I've had to say that.
    The Obama Deficit

  10. #20
    User damianvincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-10 @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: Climate change lies are exposed

    Global Sea Surface Temps still headed down

    http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpre...ent_081910.png

    Still Cooling: Sea Surface Temperatures thru August 18, 2010

    by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.


    Sea Surface Temperatures (SSTs) measured by the AMSR-E instrument on NASA’s Aqua satellite continue the fall which began several months ago. The following plot, updated through yesterday (August 18, 2010) reveals the global average SSTs continue to cool, while the Nino34 region of the tropical east Pacific remains well below normal, consistent with La Nina conditions.

    http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-conte...ug-18-2010.gif


    Earth approaching sunspot records


    The average person may not associate coolness with the sun. The sun releases energy through deep nuclear fusion reactions in its core and has surface temperatures as hot as 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit, according to NASA's Web site.

    Not cool at all.

    But the sun's recent activity, or lack thereof, may be linked to the pleasant summer temperatures the midwest has enjoyed this year, said Charlie Perry, a research hydrologist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Lawrence. The sun is at a low point of a deep solar minimum in which there are few to no sunspots on its surface.

    Perry said there is a feeling from some in the scientific community the Earth may be entering into a grand minimum, which is an extended period with low numbers of sunspots that creates cooler temperatures. The year without a summer, which was 1816, was during a grand minimum in 1800 to 1830 when Europe became cooler, Perry said. Another grand minimum was in 1903 to 1913.

    http://cjonline.com/news/local/2009-...unspot_records

    What happened to global warming?

    This headline may come as a bit of a surprise, so too might that fact that the warmest year recorded globally was not in 2008 or 2007, but in 1998. But it is true. For the last 11 years we have not observed any increase in global temperatures. And our climate models did not forecast it, even though man-made carbon dioxide, the gas thought to be responsible for warming our planet, has continued to rise.

    So what on Earth is going on?

    Climate change sceptics, who passionately and consistently argue that man's influence on our climate is overstated, say they saw it coming. They argue that there are natural cycles, over which we have no control, that dictate how warm the planet is. But what is the evidence for this?

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8299079.stm
    Last edited by damianvincent; 08-31-10 at 10:34 PM.
    The Obama Deficit

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •