Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 85

Thread: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Attack'

  1. #71
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That whole 400% thing turned out to be BS.
    Depends on who you want to believe.

    UPDATE: Kessler emailed Salon to say he stands by his story, but declined to give any sourcing for his story. "The book cites a number of instances of the Secret Service misleading the public or Congress, so I am not surprised that they are not being forthright on these issues," he wrote.
    Secret Service: Fewer protected under Obama than Bush - War Room - Salon.com



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  2. #72
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Depends on who you want to believe.

    UPDATE: Kessler emailed Salon to say he stands by his story, but declined to give any sourcing for his story. "The book cites a number of instances of the Secret Service misleading the public or Congress, so I am not surprised that they are not being forthright on these issues," he wrote.
    Secret Service: Fewer protected under Obama than Bush - War Room - Salon.com
    So you're saying you believe a conservative commentator for Newsmax.com who refuses to provide evidence for his claim over the Secret Service?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #73
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So you're saying you believe a conservative commentator for Newsmax.com who refuses to provide evidence for his claim over the Secret Service?
    I am saying that there are other sources that support his claims, so, are they all lying?
    He may be exaggerating, but this article claims "more" threats.

    Secret Servid Strained as leaders face more threats



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  4. #74
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    I am saying that there are other sources that support his claims, so, are they all lying?
    He may be exaggerating, but this article claims "more" threats.

    Secret Servid Strained as leaders face more threats
    Nothing in that story indicates anything even remotely close to what this guy claimed.

    The vast majority of sources that cite the 400% figure base that on this guy's claims.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #75
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Nothing in that story indicates anything even remotely close to what this guy claimed.

    The vast majority of sources that cite the 400% figure base that on this guy's claims.
    Read my post again. Notice I said "he may be exaggerating" - still, the article I posted claims the number has gone up.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  6. #76
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Read my post again. Notice I said "he may be exaggerating" - still, the article I posted claims the number has gone up.
    And that article doesn't provide a source for the claim.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Let me help you out here Hatuey....



    This called speculation.



    Speculation | Define Speculation at Dictionary.com

    Is English your second language?
    No. I mean this part:

    except maybe that this would be the what, the 4th or 5th since 9/11, and all on Barry's watch?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #78
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    And that article doesn't provide a source for the claim.

    Okay, I'll explain it to you.

    un·prec·e·dent·ed   [uhn-pres-i-den-tid] Show IPA
    –adjective
    without previous instance; never before known or experienced; unexampled or unparalleled: an unprecedented event.

    From my link:

    WASHINGTON - The unprecedented number of death threats against President Obama, a rise in racist hate groups, and a new wave of antigovernment fervor threaten to overwhelm the US Secret Service, according to government officials and reports, raising new questions about the 144-year-old agency’s overall mission.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  9. #79
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Okay, I'll explain it to you.

    un·prec·e·dent·ed   [uhn-pres-i-den-tid] Show IPA
    –adjective
    without previous instance; never before known or experienced; unexampled or unparalleled: an unprecedented event.

    From my link:

    WASHINGTON - The unprecedented number of death threats against President Obama, a rise in racist hate groups, and a new wave of antigovernment fervor threaten to overwhelm the US Secret Service, according to government officials and reports, raising new questions about the 144-year-old agency’s overall mission.
    Thanks, that definition of "unprecedented" was very helpful in divining the source for that article's claim, which is what I asked you for.

    edit: Because I don't want to waste any more time with this, I'll be clear.

    Last year, there were many stories about how Obama was facing a dramatic increase in the number of death threats. The only known source for these claims was a book written by said newsmax contributor. That report went unchallenged for several months, until the head of the Secret Service was asked about it at a hearing. He said that the report was completely false and that there had been no substantial increase in death threats against Obama. The newsmax guy has said that the secret service is lying, but has provided nothing to support his claims.

    You were aware of the early stories, but not of the later corrections. I pointed out the later corrections. You're saying that the secret service guy is lying, and as evidence, you're citing earlier articles. Those articles list no source for the claim that Obama is facing substantially increased death threats. Given that those articles contain no source AND THE SECRET SERVICE HAS SAID THAT'S COMPLETELY FALSE, I think it's entirely unreasonable to continue arguing that this actually happened.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 09-01-10 at 04:48 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #80
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Att

    Apropos of nothing whatsoever, since when has reasonableness been rampant on this forum?

    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •