Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 465

Thread: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Again.....

    Let me ask you a question. Make that a couple of questions. Have you ever attended, however briefly, a church which has ever advocated violence against secularists, abortioniests, gays, or other religious groups? Can you find one in your city? I'm going to bet the answer is no, unless you happen to live in Phelp's town. Wow, one known church in the entire country. A church and a preacher who's position is not supported by any other church, congregation or minister.
    So, that's kind of an illogical conclusion. You can't find them, therefore they don't exist?

  2. #342
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Again.....

    Let me ask you a question. Make that a couple of questions. Have you ever attended, however briefly, a church which has ever advocated violence against secularists, abortioniests, gays, or other religious groups? Can you find one in your city? I'm going to bet the answer is no, unless you happen to live in Phelp's town. Wow, one known church in the entire country. A church and a preacher who's position is not supported by any other church, congregation or minister.
    You would lose your bet. Admittedly not many, but I can take you right now to one where it is condoned if not advocated. However, it only takes one to make the point. And like i said, the Klan, whihc is still alive here in America, does hold prayer breakfasts and preach chritianity. Should I link all Christians to the klan?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #343
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Is the name Fred Phelps ringing any bells?

  4. #344
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    I've been to Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia numerous times in my life. I've also been to India and Malaysia. One thing you seem to be forgetting is that Muslim Arabs of the Middle East roughly constitute 16% of all Muslims worldwide. Yet they are the ones you hear the most about. How often do you hear of Chinese Muslims being persecuted?
    How often do you hear ANYTHING factual about Chinese ANYTHING?

    Even our own Laila admits that she would likely be stoned (and not the good kind of stoned) as a woman in most middle eastern muslim countries and would not enjoy the freedom to be both muslim and british as she now does if the rules in place in many of those countries were the law of the land in Engalnd .

    But your point while being VALID also REINFORCES mine. There are vast differences in the muslim faith and practice thereof. So its kinda silly for ANYONE to stand up and say "THIS IS WHAT MUSLIMS BELIEVE", and "I know because Im a muslim and know more than you." Because the reality is that there are numerous sects within the muslim faith that so violently disagree with each other that they kill eachnother over those beliefs.

  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    But your point while being VALID also REINFORCES mine. There are vast differences in the muslim faith and practice thereof. So its kinda silly for ANYONE to stand up and say "THIS IS WHAT MUSLIMS BELIEVE", and "I know because Im a muslim and know more than you." Because the reality is that there are numerous sects within the muslim faith that so violently disagree with each other that they kill eachnother over those beliefs.
    Laila made that point (the last sentence) a week or so ago.

    And I'm on the same page as you, because most of the people I'm squabbling with think a muslim is a muslim is a muslim, - and you're saying, no they are not. And I'm saying no. They are not.

  6. #346
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Laila made that point (the last sentence) a week or so ago.

    And I'm on the same page as you, because most of the people I'm squabbling with think a muslim is a muslim is a muslim, - and you're saying, no they are not. And I'm saying no. They are not.
    I know people tend to lump everyone together. Not all (or even colse to a majority) are terrorist sympathizers, let alone terrorists. There is no reason to over sell or downplay the idea...let it be...it is what it is. SOME are...and those SOME need to be destroyed.

    I am a Christian. Im also a follower of Thich Nacht Hahn and find peace in many of the buddhist ideals of peace, oneness, intention, and mindfullness. I am also fallible. I am extremely kind and loving and protective to people I care about. I work with many of 'the least of these my brethren" and love them and care for them as well. Im also an occasional asshole and have a violent tendency when the situation calls for it. Ive been to war on several occasions. I'm not great at that whole 'turn the other cheek' thing. I would be a lousy model for anyone to judge Christianity, the teachings of the Bhudda, or in fact any other human being.

    Oh...and apparently since I dont agree with everything 'real' libertarians believe Im not a very good example of that either. Damned independent thought...

  7. #347
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I am a Christian. Im also a follower of Thich Nacht Hahn and find peace in many of the buddhist ideals of peace, oneness, intention, and mindfullness. I am also fallible. I am extremely kind and loving and protective to people I care about. I work with many of 'the least of these my brethren" and love them and care for them as well. Im also an occasional asshole and have a violent tendency when the situation calls for it. Ive been to war on several occasions. I'm not great at that whole 'turn the other cheek' thing. I would be a lousy model for anyone to judge Christianity, the teachings of the Bhudda, or in fact any other human being.

    Oh...and apparently since I dont agree with everything 'real' libertarians believe Im not a very good example of that either. Damned independent thought...
    /me swats errant damn independent thought

    Your post would make a great "this is me" thread. I need to do some reading on buddhism because I know my heart is pretty much hanging there, but I need specifics to build on.

  8. #348
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    /me swats errant damn independent thought

    Your post would make a great "this is me" thread. I need to do some reading on buddhism because I know my heart is pretty much hanging there, but I need specifics to build on.
    I could never call myself a Buhddist...it would be an insult to Buhddists. But i do love the mindfullness and serenity. I recommend listening to Thich Naht Hahn as a good intro into some healthy meditation.

  9. #349
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Boo Radley. if Christians are committing terrorism against innocent people all over the world, as well as murdering each other and their children, then they should be condemned for it.

    But in fact it is Muslims who are doing this, not Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, and so on.
    Don't waste your time,or mine, with all these silly red herrings.

  10. #350
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    I've been to Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia numerous times in my life. I've also been to India and Malaysia. One thing you seem to be forgetting is that Muslim Arabs of the Middle East roughly constitute 16% of all Muslims worldwide. Yet they are the ones you hear the most about. How often do you hear of Chinese Muslims being persecuted?
    Oh I hear Muslims complaining all the time, whether its about racial profiling, not being allowed their full body gear, not caring if they offend where they build a mosque, defiling the name of their prophet, and so on. And their response to these "discrimination" are more murders of innocent people. They are whining cowards of the first order.

    I hear of Muslims committing more terrorism in China, just as they do, or attempt to do, in most every other country in the world. You might be aware of it also.

    Unless of course, your burka is intended to cover your eyes and ears from any sort of outside news or influences as some sort of attempt see no muslim evil, hear no muslim evil and speak of no muslim evil.

Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •