Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 314

Thread: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

  1. #41
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon

    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,593
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    I would NOT give a red cent.....

    I decided to donate money to Fisher House instead. At least until I can vett an appropriate charity.

    For those who aren't familiar with Mr. Fisher or the organization he founded, let me tell you about them.

    Zach Fisher made a fortune as a construction contracter in New York. During WW2, he was denied the opportunity to serve for some health issue. His future wife was a USO girl during the war. Having amassed quite a fortune in the years following the war, Mr. Fisher decided he should give some of it back to his country, a Nation he loved dearly. He had tremendous respect for those men and women who sacrificed many things to serve America, and he wanted his gift to be beneficial to those who did the most to ensure his freedom. So, he created the Fisher House Foundation.

    The Fisher House Foundation is a non-profit charity, which constructs homes near military medical facilities, for use by sick or injured servicemen, retirees, and the families of these veterans. The homes are quite nice and usually consist of around 10 or 12 private bedrooms, a kitchen, dining room, a family-style room, and a sitting room. They are staffed full-time by a manager who oversees the day-to-day operations. They also rely on volunteers to donate food or time. These volunteers cook for the guests, drive them to the hospital, the commisary, PX/BX, or to other errands, and they also just come in to visit with the guests, so that they don't feel lonely during their stay.
    Heart warming and all...

    You could have denounced what could quite possibly be an act of violence against Muslim Americans.

    Or you could have left it at I'm not donating cause I don't like them and I'm glad it got burned down.

  2. #42
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    This is grasping at straws. There is no evidence, whatsoever, that this arson was committed for the purpose of insurance or donations. It's just as sweeping and wild a conclusion as any other to even suggest it.
    Which is why I made it exceedingly clear that I wasn't saying that that was the cause.

    What is clear is that anti Islamic furor has reached a high in this country, and that is why it has become so easy for people to quickly draw the conclusion that this was an act of anti Islamic violence.
    What's your point? Because it's easy to conclude that this was anti-Muslim violence, it's reasonable to get riled up and make sweeping statements about various political groups?

    Murfreesboro, Tenn., Temecula, Calif., Sheboygan, Wis., etc. All are places that have erupted in protests against the building of new mosques since people began protesting the Islamic Community Center in New York. Exactly how far from Ground Zerio do you have to be to peacefully build a mosque in this country?
    There are a couple thousand spread throughout the US and many more being built. Seems like the vast majority of them are getting along just fine.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #43
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    12-21-17 @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,541

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Heart warming and all...

    You could have denounced what could quite possibly be an act of violence against Muslim Americans.

    Or you could have left it at I'm not donating cause I don't like them and I'm glad it got burned down.
    Keep assuming. The purpose of an investigation is to determine whether sufficient evidence exists to file criminal charges against.....FILL IN THE BLANK, dude

  4. #44
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,991

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    And yet, Stephen Ayers was a hero to your ilk.
    Please don't be an asshole and pretend to speak for me. Ayers was a criminal, who should have gone to prison. Those are MY words. Now go put words in somebody else's mouth.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #45
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    "I don't want this to be about conservatives, but here's the reason why a lot of conservatives are to blame for this."



    From one week ago:



    Center solicits Muslims' financial aid to complete Murfreesboro mosque | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

    I would assume that donations will go up rather than down as a result of this incident.

    For those who want to help, there's a donation button at their website.
    No. Damn it. Only if you think all conservatives think all muslims are evil can you accuse me of thinking that all or even most conservatives are to blame for this.

    The only person to blame is the person who did it.

    Those who would dehumanize Muslims with their rhetoric, however, should do a little soul-searching.

    Your theory could be true - but given the rancor around here it just seems highly unlikely.

    Here's an article about how this non-controversy became one here.

    6th district candidates answer mosque challenge - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather, and Sports |

    What's upsetting, is that this feels (not the fire, the rancor) all as if it's orchestrated to try to collect a few extra votes. One candidate came out against it and that drove everyone to have to be against it.

    I am pleased to see that Grace Baptist Church (which is on adjoining ground) has invited members of the mosque to a candlelight inter-faith vigil tonight.

    Perhaps the actions of one douchebag can bring a community back together after it was so cynically torn apart.

  6. #46
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    I will say what a few here have said and hope those responsible are caught. Although I will add I will be highly disappointed if the arsonist was trying to pin this on another group.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,857

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    It's also true that people rush to assume it was anti-islamic bigotry, and the over the top "This reminds me of the 1960's church burnings" crap is uncalled for. IF IT IS some loon, then it's a lemantable act of hate, glad no one died. Now, if this starts happening in multiple places, THEN you an start making comparisons.
    I don't think folks will be able to hide behind "it was just an accident" or "someone set the fire to claim the property damage insurance" for much longer. The anti-Muslim/Islam hate isn't just confined to the NYC or Murfreesboro, TN ICC's anymore. Read this article from YahooNews.com and you'll see why. To deny it and make any other claim is not only foolish, but absord!

  8. #48
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    No. Damn it. Only if you think all conservatives think all muslims are evil can you accuse me of thinking that all or even most conservatives are to blame for this.

    The only person to blame is the person who did it.

    Those who would dehumanize Muslims with their rhetoric, however, should do a little soul-searching.
    You don't see how you're doing the exact same thing you're arguing against?

    "The only person to blame is the person who did it, but those who would 'dehumanize Muslims with their rhetoric' (i.e. have a very different view on the mosque or Islam than I do) should 'do a little soul searching' (i.e. should feel partly responsible for what their rhetoric has led to.)"

    Gussying up the language doesn't change the meaning.

    Your theory could be true - but given the rancor around here it just seems highly unlikely.
    For the third time, it's not a theory. I'm simply responding to the claims that there would be no possible motivation for this incident other than anti-Islamic bigotry. As always, there are several possible motivations, and as always, the simplest (someone opposed to the mosque did it) seems most likely.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I don't think folks will be able to hide behind "it was just an accident" or "someone set the fire to claim the property damage insurance" for much longer. The anti-Muslim/Islam hate isn't just confined to the NYC or Murfreesboro, TN ICC's anymore. Read this article from YahooNews.com and you'll see why. To deny it and make any other claim is not only foolish, but absord!
    This argument doesn't make any sense. "There are a few other isolated instances where people have done illegal or otherwise offensive **** in response to a proposed mosque. That means that it would be absurd to point out that any other incident could possibly be the product of anything other than hatred."
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 08-30-10 at 05:24 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #49
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,773

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Seems like an odd question as her comments don't singlr out Americans in that way. is this like a person with poor self exteem thinking all comments areattacking them personally?

    Well, I never said that I was personally being attacked, but since you bring up the context of what was typed let's look at it shall we?

    The thing that caught my eye was this statement by Ikari

    It is entirely possible this was a terrorist act.
    Now if it stopped there I would agree with you Joe that you can not take that as anything other than a general statement. But, when you add the context of the very next sentence

    In fact, given the conditions of the country currently, I would say pretty likely.
    The conditions of the country currently. Hmmm....What can I infer about that added statement. Well, go back to any of the threads dealing with the GZ Mosque, and Ikari makes it pretty clear that Muslims are not terrorist related to him. In fact, in the many back and forth's that we have engaged in about that, he considers the American's opposing that structure as the ones committing terrorism against the Muslims trying to build it there.

    In this I believe he is speaking about the political right in this country as being not only the ones responsible, even though he has absolutely zero evidence of this, but that he sees it easier to condemn his own countrymen as terrorists, while at the same time refusing to call out those who are actually committing these acts around the world as terrorists because he wouldn't offend them, but us? Well, that's another story.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #50
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,773

    Re: Fire at Tenn. Mosque Building Site Ruled Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I don't think folks will be able to hide behind "it was just an accident" or "someone set the fire to claim the property damage insurance" for much longer. The anti-Muslim/Islam hate isn't just confined to the NYC or Murfreesboro, TN ICC's anymore. Read this article from YahooNews.com and you'll see why. To deny it and make any other claim is not only foolish, but absord!


    Wow, a far left perspective....I am shocked that the reporting is negative from the former Daily Beast editorial staff member.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •