Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 106

Thread: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

  1. #21
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The UN is a cesspool.

    Corruption doesn't get any bigger then the Oil-for Food frenzy in dollar terms, or in terms of preventing war. Instead of preventing war, they aided and abetted the creation of another one by dirty dealing with a despot. It stunk right up to Kofi Annan, as his son make a nice chunk of profit from the **** pit.

    And to think... nobody said peep... for the years it was happening.

    Is that cessy enough?

    .
    You mean it was bigger then the US allowing Saddam to smuggle oil, whiich brought in more money for Saddam than OFF did. What's the critieria for measuring corruption then?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #22
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

    Officers of the Human Rights Council
    President
    H.E. Mr. Sihasak Phuangketkeow (Thailand) (Biography)

    Vice President and Rapporteur
    H.E. Madam Bente Angell-Hansen (Norway)

    Vice Presidents
    H.E. Mr. Arcanjo Maria Do Nascimento (Angola)
    H.E. Mr. Rodolfo Reyes Rodríguez (Cuba)
    H.E. Mr. Fedor Rosocha (Slovakia)
    Human Rights Council - Membership of the Human Rights Council

    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  3. #23
    User damianvincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-10 @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

    I found it highly disturbing/ insulting that Hillary Clinton would cite the Az. law in her report to the UN about how she's fighting human rights violations.

    First and foremost the Az. law mirrors the federal laws in this regard, laws they are downright refusing to enforce, except for the fact that the Az. law has stringent racial profiling restrictions in place. It's a sad day, when a state over-run with drug smugglers, human traffickers, and an assortment of other criminals, try's to do something about it, by enforcing the same laws the feds have on the books, and winds up fighting the feds who call them racist. Especially in this day in age of terrorism, think how easy it would be for a terrorist to get into Mexico, walk across our wide open Southern boarder, and attack cities like L.A., or Phoenix, or Houston. Not to mention the fact 15 million American's are out of work, not counting the underemployed, and many American's can't even get jobs in certain fields like construction, agriculture. Tell an out of work American these are jobs he 'won't do'.
    The Obama Deficit

  4. #24
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Since we pay most of the bills it would seem he is right and you are dead wrong.
    You may wanna check the math on this, because I could have made a mistake in the calculations, but I was curious, so I looked it up to see if your statement was true. In 2008, the United States contributed around 24% net to the general budget of the UN (http://globalpolicy.org/images/pdfs/...esment2007.pdf). In 2009, we ponied up roughly 23% (http://globalpolicy.org/images/pdfs/...esment2009.pdf). In 2010, roughly 23.8% ( http://globalpolicy.org/images/pdfs/...t_for_2010.pdf).

    Just so we are on the same page, did you mean the largest single contributor? Because in the last two and a half years, we haven't 'paid most of the bills' - we paid a little less than a quarter of them. So if your speculation that the organization would fold is based upon your assumption that the United States was the only contributor, or that our contributions alone totalled up to the majority of the net budget, then you may wish to recind. Either way, we are both engaging in speculation here, so I vote we dismiss the theoretics and move forward with the discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Backed up. Now what?
    I searched those links you provided, and I can't find anywhere within them something that points to the goals of the United Nations being anything other than what I expressed, which is half of what he disagreed with, and which I asked for plainly. However, I did want a source which shows that the United Nations is a 'cesspool' as well, which you put forward in his defense. Let's discuss those, and see where we might agree or disagree with one another.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    I think you and I would both agree that Libya being on the council for human rights is a joke; however, we both realize that the country was democratically elected to be there by the 192 nation general assembly. I disagree with the election, though, as I think Libya has a pretty poor track record when it comes to such things. I think there are other nations with better records that would make fine councilmembers, and I think you'd agree with me there, too.

    Where I think we disagree is on the conclusion. You think this illustrates that the UN is a cesspool, whereas I think it's just a stupid manuever despite it being done democratically. I think this stems from our differences in what we view the UN to be. For me, the UN is a place where countries that disagree can have a platform to discuss those differences between them, and like the link says, facilitate cooperation on international law, human rights, and world peace. Consider the good that organizations like UNICEF, and WHO have done for the citzens of the world, or at least attempted to in good faith. Hardly the mark of a 'cesspool' organization, given their goals.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Gang rapes in Africa. Un workers and soldiers do nothing Some 200 women gang-raped near Congo UN base - World news - Africa - msnbc.com
    Reading that article, would you REALLY say that they wanted to do nothing, or were limited in what they could actually do? The story said that was only 25 U.N. peacekeepers within five villages occupied by 200 - 400 rebels. While I think both of us agree that we wish there was more that they could do to have prevented such an atrocity, I think we disagree on the conclusion. But I would be curious as to why you come to the conclusion from this that the U.N is a "cesspool". After all, it wasn't the peacekeepers raping these villagers, and they did attempt to help. Is that the mark of a cesspool organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east/july-dec04/oil-for-food_12-3.html
    While we both agree that scandals should be dealt with, would you say that this is reflective on the U.N being a cesspool? I remember the S& L scandal, The Whiskey Ring, Teapot Dome, and Iran-Contra, yet I would hardly call the United States a cesspool. We are a great nation, but we've had our share of scandals.

    Thanks
    Last edited by Singularity; 08-30-10 at 08:34 PM.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law



    There, some PERSPECTIVE.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #26
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

    If the US and UN are ready to throw Arizona under the bus, when are they going to do the same for Mexico and Switzerland, countries with much harsher immigration policies?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #27
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    There, some PERSPECTIVE.
    Thank you for posting that image. That is, indeed, some perspective. Now that we have a nice pretty picture coupled with my links from the U.N budget I posted above, you can finally answer your own question from post #10, where you asked "The UN gets most of it's funding from where?"

  8. #28
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    If the US and UN are ready to throw Arizona under the bus, when are they going to do the same for Mexico and Switzerland, countries with much harsher immigration policies?
    While i'm not familiar with the immigration policies of Mexico and Switzerland, that's a good point.

  9. #29
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    08-31-10 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    214

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

    This one is pretty simple: Obama is in bed with the "UN Human Rights Commission" made up of countries that *exterminate* homosexuals, cultural minorities, Jews and Christians.

    And he wonders why Americans dont beleive he's Christian?

    Mr. Obama's version of Christianity was born out of 20+ years sitting in the pews listening (learning?) from Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

    Rev. Wright's bigoted view of Jews, Judaism, Israel and caucasions was blatantly racist, homophobic and intollerant.

    Now you know why 30% of Americans see Mr. Obama as "a Muslim."

    I personally beleive Mr. Obama is neither a Muslim nor a Christian but an atheist.

    Mr. Obama is simply sympathetic to Islamic extremism.
    "Sodomy is one of the most gruesome and detested crimes, the punishment for which is also one of the harshest penalties, it is the capital punishment"
    -Imam Mukhtar K. Ahmed Al-Mesalati, author of the "QURAN And Same-Sex Behavior", c. 2009

  10. #30
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Brewer condemns report to UN mentioning Ariz. law

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    While i'm not familiar with the immigration policies of Mexico and Switzerland, that's a good point.
    Switzerland has the toughest naturalization rules in Europe. If you want to become Swiss you must live in the country legally for at least 12 years—and pay taxes, and have no criminal record—before you can apply for citizenship. It still does not mean that your wish will be granted, however, and the fact that you were born in Zurich or Lugano does not make any difference. There are no "amnesties" and illegals are deported if caught. Even if an applicant satisfies all other conditions, the local community in which he resides has the final say: it can interview the applicant and hold a public vote before naturalization is approved. If rejected he can apply again, but only after ten years.
    Switzerland: a Model for America on Immigration

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •