Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: 2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

  1. #41
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: 2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Dude. Gov't can't save you from every danger in life. So there was an outbreak, the food got recalled, end of story. The waste of resources, the cost and the possibility of success for this "vaccination" program... is it really worth it? Will it really protect folks?
    By the same token, maybe we shouldn't have all those awful safety standards like seat belts and cars that don't detonate on impac, because you can just learn how to drive properly!

    **** happens. It's not about the government "saving us from every danger in life." That's just more partisan bull****. It's about risk management. If it's cheap and easy to reduce a particular risk, why not do it? Some of us aren't terrified of every regulation ever passed.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #42
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: 2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    By the same token, maybe we shouldn't have all those awful safety standards like seat belts and cars that don't detonate on impac, because you can just learn how to drive properly!

    **** happens. It's not about the government "saving us from every danger in life." That's just more partisan bull****. It's about risk management. If it's cheap and easy to reduce a particular risk, why not do it? Some of us aren't terrified of every regulation ever passed.
    No - there *are* safety standards in place.
    They were not upheld and were not met.
    Hundreds got sick
    Food was recalled.
    Do you know the history of food-standards? They're THERE for a reason - yes, there will always be risks and possible problems but that's why pat of 'the system' INCLUDES testing the product to try to nail down a problem before it becomes *widespread*

    BUT instead of protecting people - they are trying to fudge over on THEIR mistake and sell the product anyway so they don't lose money.

    If they didn't want to lose money they shouldn't have ****ED UP to begin with.

    A small batch with salmonella getting through - and discovered EARLY and halted QUICKLY is smart and evidence of the system working. But millions and millions of eggs = thousands and thousands of infected chickens = no one did their jobs right.

    I refuse to be FORCED to take risks with it - at the store, look at the package, is this a "previously contaminated but we think we've vaccinated *the egg* and so it's safe for your consumption, now" egg or is this an egg that's been squared away and deemed SAFE because it's hen wasn't infected?

    This whole thing is stupid and shouldn't BE this widespread and out of control.

    I don't give a **** if my next carton of eggs costs me $5.00 - I don't want them to recycle BAD EGGS and try to slip them to me.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 08-30-10 at 12:27 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #43
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: 2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    2 halfwits don't make a whole wit.....

    Practicallly everythling we eat starts out dirty...gets harvested dirty, gets processed dirty, and so on. No matter how much food processors try to keep it clean, there is still a risk of contamination. But there is a way to safely consume our food, it is called COOKING it.....

    There has always been one very important ingredient that we must add when preparing our food, and that is common sense.
    Fine. But I like to know where my food comes from. Just from switching to a diet that is more locally based over the last year, I've lost about 10 pounds without signifcatnly altering the types of food I eat. I still enjoy a steak every now and again. I just know where the cow lived before it was slaughtered.

    And yeh, I suppose not everyone can afford to eat like that. But it sucks that all of the worst food in this nation is the cheapest. How is it that a cooked cheeseburger (and by that, I mean a cow was raised, another one provided diary, there were cucumbers raised to make pickles, there were onions harvested) cheaper than one head of broccoli?

    Answer - farm subsidies that lead to cheap-ass fake food being made and served to people.

    You know, for instance, that cows aren't meant to eat grains, right? They're meant to eat grasses and clover. But, because we feed them grains, we have to give them antibiotics because they're more likely to get sick (from eating a diet of foods they're not meant to eat). Then, to further make sure they don't pass their sickness on to us, we treat the slaughtered meat with ammonia until it turns a nice murky gray color. Then, we ship that out to just about every fast food restaurant in America and call it hamburger.

    Only about 25% of remaining farms are family-owned. Thanks to ****ty farm subsidies, 75% of our food is created on gigantic industrial farms.

    And what's happened as a result? Our food today has much lower levels of nutrients.
    Foods Today Have Much Less Nutrition Than In The Past! | Health For You

    Why does this matter? It means that our bodies need to take in more calories to get proper levels of nutrients. If we constantly eat low-nutrient food, our bodies are going to continue craving more and more. And if people want to eat crap, it's their choice. I choose not to.

  4. #44
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: 2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    No - there *are* safety standards in place.
    They were not upheld and were not met.
    Hundreds got sick
    Food was recalled.
    Do you know the history of food-standards? They're THERE for a reason - yes, there will always be risks and possible problems but that's why pat of 'the system' INCLUDES testing the product to try to nail down a problem before it becomes *widespread*

    BUT instead of protecting people - they are trying to fudge over on THEIR mistake and sell the product anyway so they don't lose money.

    If they didn't want to lose money they shouldn't have ****ED UP to begin with.

    A small batch with salmonella getting through - and discovered EARLY and halted QUICKLY is smart and evidence of the system working. But millions and millions of eggs = thousands and thousands of infected chickens = no one did their jobs right.

    I refuse to be FORCED to take risks with it - at the store, look at the package, is this a "previously contaminated but we think we've vaccinated *the egg* and so it's safe for your consumption, now" egg or is this an egg that's been squared away and deemed SAFE because it's hen wasn't infected?

    This whole thing is stupid and shouldn't BE this widespread and out of control.

    I don't give a **** if my next carton of eggs costs me $5.00 - I don't want them to recycle BAD EGGS and try to slip them to me.
    You should probably re-read my post in context of the one I was replying too, and be aware of the sarcastic tone :P
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #45
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    By the same token, maybe we shouldn't have all those awful safety standards like seat belts and cars that don't detonate on impac, because you can just learn how to drive properly!

    **** happens. It's not about the government "saving us from every danger in life." That's just more partisan bull****. It's about risk management. If it's cheap and easy to reduce a particular risk, why not do it? Some of us aren't terrified of every regulation ever passed.
    If it's about risk management - then just don't eat eggs, handle eggs, or buy eggs. Don't advocate making this a tax payer problem by passing a law that requires funding and spending money on a bull**** law, because people get sick. People get sick every day. The last thing we need is more chemicals to be pumped into our systems because some people like to eat semi cooked eggs or do not know how to properly handle raw food. Some of us use common sense and know a stupid proposal when we see one.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #46
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: 2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Typically they are fed better, and they are free roaming, not standing around. No one promises that the cage free chickens are salmonella free, but they are far less likely to have it. Studies have shown that free roaming chickens produce healthier eggs. Caged chickens are raised with almost no space for them. Many die, and their dead bodies are left rotting on the ground until a farmer can pick it out and remove it.
    There are studies that show the opposite. If the free range hens are roaming in an area where the environment itself is not all that great, the resulting eggs can cause an increased risk of cancer.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #47
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,680

    Re: 2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

    Quote Originally Posted by filmfestguy View Post
    this is why i already spend the extra for local farm-raised, cage-free, natural nest eggs.

    Yeah. I could spend $1 per carton and risk salmonella. Or i could spend an extra $1.50 a week to completely be (mostly) worry-free from such concerns.


    this.......
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #48
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: 2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

    I have eaten eggs that were so old that they were starting to turn green....didn't get sick.
    That was on a submarine nearing the end of a 2 month cruise, and the eggs were stored in a cool place, but not a refrigerated space.
    COOKING is the cure for a lot of potential problems. Those eggs were served up DONE, you got no choice in the matter...
    Taste was just a little off, tho....
    Had a similar experience years later when stationed at GTMO, Cuba. We didn't get the freshest food delivered to us. Pizza mix had weevil in it, Wheaties were beyond expiration date, etc...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •