Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 307

Thread: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

  1. #1
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    The organizers did not appear to have planned for a crowd so large. Thousands sat on patches of lawn out of sight of the few Jumbo-trons that displayed the action on the stage. Several times, portions of the crowd, unable to hear the speakers, chanted "louder, louder." Many people wore shirts with American flags and faces of heroes from the American Revolution. People followed the instructions to bring no political signs. "These are just totally normal, go-to-work, Honey-can-I-do-the-dishes people -- who are fed up," said David McGregor, a real-estate developer who had flown to Washington from Orlando, Fla.

    After the rally, a number of people said they took as the main message of the gathering that they had to get their own houses in order. "This is about each of us individually," said John Houck, a Vietnam War veteran who had come from Raleigh, N.C. The gathering was also his first-ever political event. "We are not rally people," he said, standing beside his wife, Louise.


    No fighting, no guns, no riots. Just well behaved ordinary people who believe this country has taken a wrong turn.

    Fantastic

    Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally - WSJ.com
    Last edited by texmaster; 08-29-10 at 12:57 AM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  2. #2
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Woot second post!

    While I disagree with conservatives politically, it's nice to see folks coming out for stuff like this. In the end, we are all Americans, we just disagree about the issues. Politics aside, I think most of us could find common ground somewhere, especially if a few good beers are involved. Which, incidentally, I have to give you conservatives credit. One of my pals leans to the right, and his homebrews are pretty spectacular this year.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    That's good and all... I support people doing this kind of demonstration if it's what they believe in. The thing I don't understand is why call it a "restoring honour" rally, especially when you are talking about military values? It suggests that honour has been lost, which is kind of insulting. Also, I don't believe the timing of it being on the same day as MLK is a coincidence, even though Beck claimed it was. Those kinds of things never happen by accident.

    Also, I think what this rally showed the people in power is just how easily the masses are controlled by the media, and I really wish people would shy away from this kind of thing. Organize yourselves and have a big demonstration, but don't do it at the behest of a t.v pundit. Their hearts may be in the right place, but the fact that they came because Beck told them to is... somewhat disturbing to me.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    That's good and all... I support people doing this kind of demonstration if it's what they believe in. The thing I don't understand is why call it a "restoring honour" rally, especially when you are talking about military values? It suggests that honour has been lost, which is kind of insulting. Also, I don't believe the timing of it being on the same day as MLK is a coincidence, even though Beck claimed it was. Those kinds of things never happen by accident.

    Also, I think what this rally showed the people in power is just how easily the masses are controlled by the media, and I really wish people would shy away from this kind of thing. Organize yourselves and have a big demonstration, but don't do it at the behest of a t.v pundit. Their hearts may be in the right place, but the fact that they came because Beck told them to is... somewhat disturbing to me.
    It's coming back on C-Span right now. Check it out.
    I watched it earlier.
    The honor part, the way I took it was restoring our own individual honor (integrity)
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    The honor part, the way I took it was restoring our own individual honor (integrity)
    I haven't lost my honour though. Does that mean people who attended the rally felt they didn't have enough honour?

    I still don't get it.

  6. #6
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Yes it was a nice peaceful rally, still Beck and Palin are so stupid it makes my head hurt.
    I use a lot of satire and sarcasm so keep that in mind when reading my posts.

  7. #7
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,752

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    IMHO, there was quite a lot of irony in Beck's rally being held on the day of King's "I have a dream speech", and on the very spot he gave that speech. There was a lot of talk about getting the government out of people's lives, and I liked that to quite an extent. However, this is where the irony kicks in. I remember Selma Alabama and Jackson Mississippi in the 1960's, when blacks were murdered and churches blown up because people wanted to exercise their constitutional right to vote, to get served at lunch counters, and to ride in the front of the bus. It was in that context that Martin Luther King made that famous speech, and in that speech, he was not advocating for less government, but for more government, in order to protect the rights of those who were being murdered and their churches blown up.

    On this day in history, I very much respect the fact that Beck and Palin ran a good and peaceful show, and put out a great message of Americans coming together. I think Dr. King would have liked that. But let us also remember that, no matter how much we are against the government controlling our lives, there are pivotal times in history when government intervention is absolutely vital, in order to protect the rights of ALL Americans. Let us never forget what the civil rights struggle was really all about.
    Last edited by danarhea; 08-29-10 at 02:56 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #8
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    The sheer mass of that rally is telling. Probably about .001 percent of the people that wanted to go were able to show up.

    I've never seen people this pissed off in this country, or this embarassed by its government and lack of badic integrity.

    And next week, Olbermann, Maddow, HuffPo, and the rest of the media will spend their time and energy making fun of this rally....which will blow up in their faces even further.

    Meanwhile, Obama golfs and dines and ignores.
    Last edited by Erod; 08-29-10 at 01:23 PM.

  9. #9
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,476

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    That's good and all... I support people doing this kind of demonstration if it's what they believe in. The thing I don't understand is why call it a "restoring honour" rally, especially when you are talking about military values? It suggests that honour has been lost, which is kind of insulting. Also, I don't believe the timing of it being on the same day as MLK is a coincidence, even though Beck claimed it was. Those kinds of things never happen by accident.

    Also, I think what this rally showed the people in power is just how easily the masses are controlled by the media, and I really wish people would shy away from this kind of thing. Organize yourselves and have a big demonstration, but don't do it at the behest of a t.v pundit. Their hearts may be in the right place, but the fact that they came because Beck told them to is... somewhat disturbing to me.
    I recall Beck saying that holding the rally on the anniversary of MLK's speech was very intentional. Beck says that the Leftists have taken the meaning of the I have a dream Speech and morphadited it to hell-n-gone and he's right. MLK said he dreamed of a day when people were judged, "by the content of their character and not the color of their skin" and the Left has totally screwed that up. If people were judged by the content of their character, Jackson and Sharpton would be in prison, by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #10
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I recall Beck saying that holding the rally on the anniversary of MLK's speech was very intentional. Beck says that the Leftists have taken the meaning of the I have a dream Speech and morphadited it to hell-n-gone and he's right. MLK said he dreamed of a day when people were judged, "by the content of their character and not the color of their skin" and the Left has totally screwed that up. If people were judged by the content of their character, Jackson and Sharpton would be in prison, by now.
    Wow...so you're judging Jesse Jackson and throwing him in jail, why? Because you find his character lacking? Who gets the right to throw people in jail just because of they lack character? What crimes can you prove that these two men committed so that you may throw them in jail?

    I believe that Beck has even less character and is nothing more than a charlatan taking people's money the same way Jimmy Swaggert bilked religious people for millions. I've still said he deserves the right to do that since it's technically not illegal.

    So, your way of "restoring honor" in America is rounding up those you disagree with and throwing them in jail?

    Sounds about like what a Beck believer would say.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •