Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 307

Thread: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Read my post a few pages back about how it was a Northern, Southern divide between the Civil Rights act, not a Democratic, Republican divide.
    Perhaps, Your Star, but the South was dominated by Democrats while the Republicans dominated the North. Ergo, it was the racist Democrats versus the non-racist Republicans.

    I can understand though, if you are a Democrat, why you would want to muddy these waters.

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You mean that the Democratic party isn't as racist as it once was Your Star?

    I quite agree, but it certainly didn't occur without a great deal of pressure from the Republican Party.

    Since that time the Democrats have been painting the Republicans as "racists", and many new Democrats appear to have bought into that idea. These people, while probably being quite decent in many other areas, are not terribly bright.
    It was a north/south thing. Not a Democrat/Republican thing. Proven by these numbers

    The original House version:
    Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7%–93%)
    Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0%–100%)
    Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94%–6%)
    Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%–15%)
    The Senate version:
    Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5%–95%)
    Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0%–100%)
    Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%–2%)
    Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%–16%)
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #133
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    The parties change along with society. It's a simple fact. I would say the modern republican party began with Reagan, and I would say the modern Democratic party with Clinton.
    Using the parties of the past as a pro, or con, for something, or someone, or trying to compare them to the parties today isn't a proper use of history.
    Arguing whether it was Goldwater or Reagan is rather meaningless.
    How would you and Jet define the parties, that's what I want to know.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    The parties change along with society. It's a simple fact. I would say the modern republican party began with Reagan, and I would say the modern Democratic party with Clinton.
    Using the parties of the past as a pro, or con, for something, or someone, or trying to compare them to the parties today isn't a proper use of history.
    Then we would have to ask ourselves what drew people to the Democratic Party, knowing its racist past.

    What do you think it was?

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It was a north/south thing. Not a Democrat/Republican thing. Proven by these numbers

    The original House version:
    Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7%–93%)
    Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0%–100%)
    Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94%–6%)
    Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%–15%)
    The Senate version:
    Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5%–95%)
    Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0%–100%)
    Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%–2%)
    Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%–16%)
    Yout Star, the elected leaders vote along party lines and are identified that way by their party by the public. While you can rightly claim that most racists were from the South it is also clear that they were racist Democrats. It is the Democrats who have the racist past, not the Republicans. That it abundantly clear.

  6. #136
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You mean that the Democratic party isn't as racist as it once was Your Star?

    I quite agree, but it certainly didn't occur without a great deal of pressure from the Republican Party.

    Since that time the Democrats have been painting the Republicans as "racists", and many new Democrats appear to have bought into that idea. These people, while probably being quite decent in many other areas, are not terribly bright.
    Some may say "racist", but I don't.

    What I did say the other day, though, was this.

    The Republican Party certainly has trouble appealing to minorities - blacks, Hispanics (this a new problem that Bush didn't have), gays.

    That's not the same thing as saying they're racist, is it? And I don't think it's pretty safe to say.

    Hell, I was scolded because I said, Glenn Beck doesn't appeal to black too much either. I backed that statement up by pointing to information from his own website that showed his demographics are only 2% black. The victim card was played again, saying I called Beck a racist.

    I honestly think the race victim card is being played more and more by white conservatives. You can make a simple point: your message isn't working with minorities very well; back that with numbers; and then they say, "Don't call me racist! I work with a black!"

    If conservatives have picked up on one thing from liberals, and Beck is one of the best at this, it's how to play the victim.

    I mean seriously - Palin goes off on anyone who uses "retarded" for any reason (except Rush Limbaugh); but then supports Dr. Laura for using the n-word. And Dr. Laura claims to be a victim and acting as if she's getting fired - when she's her own boss.

  7. #137
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Perhaps, Your Star, but the South was dominated by Democrats while the Republicans dominated the North. Ergo, it was the racist Democrats versus the non-racist Republicans.

    I can understand though, if you are a Democrat, why you would want to muddy these waters.
    And if you knew how to analyze history correctly you would know that the democrats had a stranglehold on the because Lincoln was a republican, and the resentment from the civil war made it hard for anyone to win in the south running under "Lincoln's party"
    Also the republicans didn't dominate the north. Just look at my numbers in this post . I'm sorry, but facts destroy your narrative.
    Last edited by Your Star; 08-29-10 at 07:37 PM.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #138
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Do you realize there were many different faiths there on stage?
    I don't think most people get offended by God, Jesus, talk even if they don't have a particular faith. I know I don't.
    Freedom of Religion not Freedom from Religion.
    Besides, I'm sure most people knew Beck and knew he had a strong faith. That's probably one reason they decided to go.
    Most were probably praying the 40 days before the event because he suggested it.
    Yea, I know he is a little kooky, but he is also a breath of fresh air.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only faith diversity I witnessed were Christians and a single Rabbi on stage. I have nothing against Christians... hell, I don't even have anything against Christians rallying in Washington D.C... but I don't understand why they couldn't have left Jesus out of this Restoring Honor event and focused more on God to be more inclusive of Jews, Muslims, and others. God is one thing, but Jesus is pretty much exclusive to Christianity. I honestly don't care that much... it was just a bit perplexing to me why there was so much focus on churches, Jesus and the bible.

    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, it to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." óJohn Adams

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Some may say "racist", but I don't.

    What I did say the other day, though, was this.

    The Republican Party certainly has trouble appealing to minorities - blacks, Hispanics (this a new problem that Bush didn't have), gays.

    That's not the same thing as saying they're racist, is it? And I don't think it's pretty safe to say.

    Hell, I was scolded because I said, Glenn Beck doesn't appeal to black too much either. I backed that statement up by pointing to information from his own website that showed his demographics are only 2% black. The victim card was played again, saying I called Beck a racist.

    I honestly think the race victim card is being played more and more by white conservatives. You can make a simple point: your message isn't working with minorities very well; back that with numbers; and then they say, "Don't call me racist! I work with a black!"

    If conservatives have picked up on one thing from liberals, and Beck is one of the best at this, it's how to play the victim.

    I mean seriously - Palin goes off on anyone who uses "retarded" for any reason (except Rush Limbaugh); but then supports Dr. Laura for using the n-word. And Dr. Laura claims to be a victim and acting as if she's getting fired - when she's her own boss.
    I never refered to you as racist, Filmfestguy, but in fact Democrats, and of course Leftists, frequently refer to Republicans as racist while always denying, or spinning,their racist past. I agree they are having difficulty recruiting minority groups and that reflects the very successful campaign by Democrats that it was really the Republicans who were historically racist.

  10. #140
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Beck, Palin Stress 'Honor' at Rally

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Percentages mean nothing?

    That Bill would not have passed were it not for the Republicans and it was the Southern Democrats who most opposed it. The history is clear and readily available.
    Southerners are still southerners, which party dominates the south NOW?


Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •