Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 74

Thread: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

  1. #21
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Pre-emptive straw man. Impressive strategy!

    Some thoughts:

    1) the article is slim on details. My initial reaction is I am not happy, but I want more details before judging.

    2) The right wing circle jerk in this thread is hilarious. Trying to define liberal positions before they even comment is a very low strategy.
    This is not a new thing from conservatives.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #22
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,155

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    You guys have made it clear that any thread that had Obama and Islam involved, posted by the Right, is really just inherent bigotry trying to hide behind a legit story. It's the only reason we posts these don'tcha know?

    And look, here's the Obama's admin not trying the USS Cole bomber. Obviously the only reason I posted this was because I believe Obama is defending his peeps, dawg.
    [emphasis by bubba since some obviously need the crayon]
    appears you did not read all of your cite, dawg:
    The Defense Department issued a statement Thursday saying the case is not stalled. "Prosecutors in the Office of Military Commissions are actively investigating the case against Mr. al-Nashiri and are developing charges against him," the statement said.
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #23
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    [emphasis by bubba since some obviously need the crayon]
    appears you did not read all of your cite, dawg:
    Military officials said a team of prosecutors in the Nashiri case has been ready go to trial for some time. And several months ago, military officials seemed confident that Nashiri would be arraigned this summer.

    "It's politics at this point," said one military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss policy. He said he thinks the administration does not want to proceed against a high-value detainee without some prospect of civilian trials for other major figures at Guantanamo Bay.
    I read my source. Read it and weep bub.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #24
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    You guys have made it clear that any thread that had Obama and Islam involved, posted by the Right, is really just inherent bigotry trying to hide behind a legit story. It's the only reason we posts these don'tcha know?

    And look, here's the Obama's admin not trying the USS Cole bomber. Obviously the only reason I posted this was because I believe Obama is defending his peeps, dawg.
    Actually, that is just your twisted view on what "us guys" have said. It's not my fault you are confused.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #25
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    [emphasis by bubba since some obviously need the crayon]
    appears you did not read all of your cite, dawg:
    Realistically, of course they're going to say that. I'm sure they're also actively working to track down the people who stole the Dude's car. They got them working in shifts.

    The point is that being made by the rest of the article - the prosecution is at best "delayed," at worst "indefinitely halted."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually, that is just your twisted view on what "us guys" have said. It's not my fault you are confused.
    I'm no longer confused, it's obvious, we are not allowed to post threads discussing Obma and Islam in anyway because the only reason we are doing so is to advance our bigotry.

    It's okay Redress.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The Bush Administration wasn't that concerned about the prospect of not being able to use that evidence because it was usable until the MCA of 2009 banned it.
    Well...that's true, but there was a reason for that. The rules for military commissions were originally setup under GW Bush, but they were changed initially around 2007/08 (if I remember the timeframe correctly) right when the pictures from Abu Grab were leaked. Led by Sen. McCain, the "rules of evidence" and much more where military commissions are concerned were changed as a result of both the nation's outcry to halt torture in this country and in sending suspected terrorist abroad for interrogation, and also to allow prisoners the opportunity to hear (some) evidence levelled against them which under the old rules much of the evidence which was marked w/some form of security classification (usually "SECRET") could not be presented in court.

    Because of actions the Bush-Cheney Administration took pertaining to torture, judicial rules of evidence for military commissions and a host of other things too complicated to go into detail here, the rules for military commissions have changed at least 2 times since initially enacted under the Bush-Cheney administration.

    Again, this isn't a slam on GW Bush...not really, but things he did during his presidency where these military commissions are concerned are starting to impact the Obama Administration's ability to hold military commissions w/o double- and triple-checking legal proceedings as well as the laws that govern same. But you don't have to take my word for it. Read the book, "Takeover: The Empirial Presidency," by Charlie Savage and judge for yourself. It's a very facinating read.

    Keyword: Signing Statements...
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 08-27-10 at 05:42 PM.

  8. #28
    Advisor TheHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-13 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    551

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    So, holding him indefinitely with no charges even "contemplated" is suddenly all perfectly sensible, rational, and logical . . . because it's Obama?
    Yep, all those Democrats and activist groups screaming over Bush holding terrorists indefinitely have gone fishing.

    It's like they never screamed at all.

  9. #29
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Well...that's true, but there was a reason for that. The rules for military commissions were originally setup under GW Bush, but they were changed initially around 2007/08 (if I remember the timeframe correctly) right when the pictures from Abu Grab were leaked. Led by Sen. McCain, the "rules of evidence" and much more where military commissions are concerned were changed as a result of both the nation's outcry to halt torture in this country and in sending suspected terrorist abroad for interrogation, and also to allow prisoners the opportunity to hear (some) evidence levelled against them which under the old rules much of the evidence which was marked w/some form of security classification (usually "SECRET") could not be presented in court.
    The Abu Ghirab photos were leaked in 04, and most of the changes to detainee policy made by the DTA and various MCA's were designed as responses to SC decisions that limited the authority of Art. III courts to hear habeas claims, not as responses to abuse per se.

    Because of actions the Bush-Cheney Administration took pertaining to torture, judicial rules of evidence for military commissions and a host of other things too complicated to go into detail here, the rules for military commissions have changed at least 2 times since initially enacted under the Bush-Cheney administration.

    Again, this isn't a slam on GW Bush...not really, but things he did during his presidency where these military commissions are concerned are starting to impact the Obama Administration's ability to hold military commissions w/o double- and triple-checking legal proceedings as well as the laws that govern same.
    I don't think that's really the case - again, if the government wanted to continue to use the same procedures in the military tribunals that it had originally planned on using, it would be free to do so to the extent that the courts would go along with it. Nothing about Bush's actions really changed that. The only thing that changed the procedures was Congress's decision to change the procedures.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 08-29-10 at 07:31 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I read my source. Read it and weep bub.
    And that means Obama is behind a conspiracy? Do your research bub, this is exactly like your Iraqi War cost threat, its full of BS.

    The real story here isn't that the trial has been halted for a time, its that after 9 years we still haven't figured out how to deal with terrorist suspects and captured terrorist leaders. We can't figure out if we want it in a military or federal court, we can't figure out what kind of evidence can and cannot be allowed. For example from your article:
    But critics of military commissions say the Nashiri case exemplifies the system's flaws, particularly the ability to introduce certain evidence such as hearsay statements that probably would not be admitted in federal court. The prosecution is expected to rely heavily on statements made to the FBI by two Yemenis who allegedly implicated Nashiri. Neither witness is expected at trial, but the FBI agents who interviewed them will testify, said Nashiri's military attorney, Navy Lt. Cmdr. Stephen C. Reyes. "Unlike in federal court, you don't have the right to confront the witnesses against you," he said.

    Your problem isn't against the Obama administration its against the entire Justice department and this DoD/DoJ freud over who gets the charge and manage these court cases. Do you remember KSM, the key they were going to try in New York, he was the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks? He still hasn't been convicted of anything, and he's been in our capture since 2003. The Cole bomber has been in our capture since 2002.

    So I agree Obama should be doing something to get this crap moving, but so should the DoD, DoJ, and so should the Bush administration for the 6 years they held these people. If you're going to assign blame assign it where it is due.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •