Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

  1. #11
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    washingtonpost.com



    Does the Obama Admin have a plan? Do they have a clue here?
    absolutely. their plan is to get a conviction that is found credible, internationally, rather than proceeding with a case which might very well fail because of the reliance on testimony to be found inadmissible because it was realized thru duress
    from your own cite:
    ... any incriminating statements Nashiri might have made are probably inadmissible under the 2009 Military Commissions Act, which bars the use of evidence obtained through torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment.
    this comes from your cited article, and is attributed to the white house:
    "We are confident that the reformed military commissions are a lawful, fair and effective prosecutorial forum and that the Department of Defense will handle the referrals in an appropriate manner consistent with the interests of justice," said the official, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity.
    "I am very confident, based upon what I have heard, that there is more than sufficient evidence linking him to the attack on Cole directly, and that they do not need any of the information that may have come from black site interviews and interrogations," said Kirk S. Lippold, who was commander of the Cole when it was attacked.
    yep. appears the plan of this administration is to be competent, unlike its predecessor
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #12
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    First off, the article says, the trail has been temporarily halted, not dismissed. If you read further than just the first two paragraphs, you'll note that there are evidenciary problems with holding these military commissions, i.e., witness testimony but more specifically evidence obtained by "questionable and potentially unlawful methods" that were either refined or "outlawed" (so to speak) during the GW Bush administration.



    And before anyone says it, this isn't "blame Bush". The situation is what it is.
    Really, it's just an excuse to show Obama's a Muslim defending his peeps, dawg.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #13
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    absolutely. their plan is to get a conviction that is found credible, internationally, rather than proceeding with a case which might very well fail because of the reliance on testimony to be found inadmissible because it was realized thru duress
    from your own cite:
    this comes from your cited article, and is attributed to the white house:

    yep. appears the plan of this administration is to be competent, unlike its predecessor
    2 years man, two years. What I see is Obama's push to reform and make Terrorism a "legal" matter has gummed the system up something fierce. This guy was caught under one set of rules, but now they want to try him under a new set. It'd be like... saying DNA Evidence is the only admissible evidence now when you go to try a guy caught 10 years ago when such wasn't available. They couldn't see these problems coming??
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #14
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,570

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    So, holding him indefinitely with no charges even "contemplated" is suddenly all perfectly sensible, rational, and logical . . . because it's Obama?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #15
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    First off, the article says, the trail has been temporarily halted, not dismissed. If you read further than just the first two paragraphs, you'll note that there are evidenciary problems with holding these military commissions, i.e., witness testimony but more specifically evidence obtained by "questionable and potentially unlawful methods" that were either refined or "outlawed" (so to speak) during the GW Bush administration.



    And before anyone says it, this isn't "blame Bush". The situation is what it is. But those so-called "enhanced interrogation techniques" that were lauded as necessary and completely lawful apparently aren't helping build a case against Nashiri now, are they?

    Just saying...
    The Bush Administration wasn't that concerned about the prospect of not being able to use that evidence because it was usable until the MCA of 2009 banned it.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #16
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I probably shouldn't have posted this, it's obvious that I only posted this to try and show Obama is secretly a Muslim and he's protecting his people in their war!!!!
    Pre-emptive straw man. Impressive strategy!

    Some thoughts:

    1) the article is slim on details. My initial reaction is I am not happy, but I want more details before judging.

    2) The right wing circle jerk in this thread is hilarious. Trying to define liberal positions before they even comment is a very low strategy.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    So, holding him indefinitely with no charges even "contemplated" is suddenly all perfectly sensible, rational, and logical . . . because it's Obama?
    Actually, it's a blame bush moment, really... those that think other wise are like crazy birthers but instead are trying to tie Obama to Islam, which is EXACTLY what you are doing here Harshaw, you should be SOOO ashamed dude.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #18
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Really, it's just an excuse to show Obama's a Muslim defending his peeps, dawg.
    It's really weird when the OP is replying to himself and deliberately setting up a straw man so that he can reply to his own reply and destroy his own straw man. How many voices are in your head?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The Bush Administration wasn't that concerned about the prospect of not being able to use that evidence because it was usable until the MCA of 2009 banned it.
    Bingo. We have a WINNER!

    Like I said two posts above Rights... only he did it a little better.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  10. #20
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Pre-emptive straw man. Impressive strategy!

    Some thoughts:

    1) the article is slim on details. My initial reaction is I am not happy, but I want more details before judging.

    2) The right wing circle jerk in this thread is hilarious. Trying to define liberal positions before they even comment is a very low strategy.
    You guys have made it clear that any thread that had Obama and Islam involved, posted by the Right, is really just inherent bigotry trying to hide behind a legit story. It's the only reason we posts these don'tcha know?

    And look, here's the Obama's admin not trying the USS Cole bomber. Obviously the only reason I posted this was because I believe Obama is defending his peeps, dawg.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •