Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 104

Thread: Court allows agents to secretly put GPS trackers on cars

  1. #71
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Court allows agents to secretly put GPS trackers on cars

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    First it 'allows' them to track you anywhere you go... next it will simply be mandatory that all vehicles must be tracked... not that it matters since, in most locales, everyone and their dogs have a cell phone, and those can track you as it is.
    That's the other thing, any single device that has a position sensor should be subject to either a warrant or waiver of rights of that individual. It's extremely disgusting and disturbing that these government agents are trying to assert the right to sneak a GPS sensor on individuals without their prior knowledge or even court warrants.

    Has anyone else caught on to the fact that the original artical discusses how it's the GOVERNMENT that now has rights??
    That's even more disturbing, the whole concept of the constitution was to specifically spell out the government's powers and limitations. I am very dissappointed in any person that would expand it past that and this close to Orwellian levels.

    Also, while I'm no legal expert, but correct me if I'm wrong that every other previous precedent states that you DO have a perception of privacy even on your own driveway... or did at least.
    It's a game to them, they like privacy when it fits an agenda and disregard when it gets in the way.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #72
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Court allows agents to secretly put GPS trackers on cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    People can place flyers on your car without violating your property rights, why can the police not place a tracking device on your car, say on the bumper without violating your property rights. It does not have to be in your driveway, it could be on the street, at your workplace or at the mall
    Fliers are in plain site, the person placing those fliers could have charges filed for trespassing, if we really wanted to push that route.
    Most people decide to toss them and not give it a second thought because it's to much trouble for something so little.

    Putting a GPS device on a car is a different story, if the need exists getting a warrant should pose little problem.
    Why would the police need to put one on if there were no evidence of wrong doing?
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 08-29-10 at 04:38 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #73
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    There's always a killswitch or CPU command that can be removed or disabled, not really that difficult if you know what you're doing. In this age of internet a quick browser search will lead you to the proper information.
    Which, of course, would probably void the warranty on your very expensive vehicle. Very, very few people would go that route.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    I read somewhere that the black boxes on vehicles will have the ability to broadcast GPS data at some point. I can't wait for the government to get their hands on that information. Imagine being taxed per mile driven, or being mailed a speeding ticket because your GPS unit registered a higher-than-legal speed limit and broadcasted it to the police.
    As per the speeding thing. I disagree for two reasons.

    1. Black box doesn't determine WHO the driver is. Yes they do this with civil fines from red light cameras, but no points are assessed against your license for those.
    2. It takes the ****ing fun out of catching speeders. Chasing down a car that was going 70 when I was going 0 is a ****ing blast.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

    Wow talk about paranoia.

    Are all of you involved in organized criminal activity?
    Are you all felons?

    Why in the **** are you guys so ****ing concerned with the government monitoring you? What makes think the government would WANT to monitor you?

    Can anyone give me one legitimate reason why the government would want to monitor them?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #76
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

    Are all of you involved in organized criminal activity?
    Are you all felons?

    Why in the **** are you guys so ****ing concerned with the government monitoring you? What makes think the government would WANT to monitor you?

    Can anyone give me one legitimate reason why the government would want to monitor them?
    There is no legitimate reason to monitor me. That is why I get suspicious when the police ask for the power to monitor me without needing a legitimate reason. If you actually have a good reason to GPS track someone, why shouldn't you get a warrant? If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't fear accountability.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    There is no legitimate reason to monitor me. That is why I get suspicious when the police ask for the power to monitor me without needing a legitimate reason. If you actually have a good reason to GPS track someone, why shouldn't you get a warrant? If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't fear accountability.
    Who says you are being monitored? Why are you making this about you?
    Which police department asked for the power to monitor you?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #78
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,976

    Re: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Who says you are being monitored? Why are you making this about you?
    Which police department asked for the power to monitor you?
    Odds are that most people here aren't part of organized crime (of course, I could be wrong), so the fear is that the logic for using gps, while initially used to fight organized crime, could be perverted to fight "personal" (or victimless) crimes as well (see war on drugs).

  9. #79
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Wow talk about paranoia.
    Dismissive much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Are all of you involved in organized criminal activity?
    Are you all felons?
    Irrelevant, privacy and rights extends to everybody, criminals and law abiding alike.



    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Why in the **** are you guys so ****ing concerned with the government monitoring you?
    Because there are laws that protect privacy, that's why.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    What makes think the government would WANT to monitor you?
    How would WE know the exact WHY? They are doing it quite often, better ask THEM why they want to support snooping on the law abiding without cause.
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Odds are that most people here aren't part of organized crime (of course, I could be wrong), so the fear is that the logic for using gps, while initially used to fight organized crime, could be perverted to fight "personal" (or victimless) crimes as well (see war on drugs).
    Is it crime???

    That is all I need to know.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •