Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 258

Thread: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

  1. #211
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Both presidents use stimulus and ran up the deficit with stimulus. And so would have McCain. So did Reagan. During hard times president have historically participated in deficit spending. This doesn't mean I agree with it, but I'm not hypocritical enough to merely blame one president due to his party.

    And as long as people like you keep asking the preisdent to fix it, regardles sor party, the president will try to limit the damage.

    But none of that has anything to do with what I'm arguing. If we care about the deficit, we need to cut spending and raise taxes. It's that simple.
    Barack Obama is President of the United States and economic conditions are worse today than when he took office. Raising taxes will not put people back to work.

    Bush proposed and signed TARP, TARP was mostly paid back after Obama took office, what did Obama do with the money. A fiscally responsible individual would have used it to pay down the deficit so what did he do with it. Same with the unspent stimulus money, where is that money today?
    Last edited by Conservative; 09-24-10 at 12:50 PM.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Barack Obama is President of the United States and economic conditions are worse today than when he took office. Raising taxes will not put people back to work.

    Bush proposed and signed TARP, TARP was mostly paid back after Obama took office, what did Obama do with the money. A fiscally responsible individual would have used it to pay down the deficit so what did he do with it. Same with the unspent stimulus money, where is that money today?
    Causal relationship fallacy. It's a common fallacy. What you're really arguing when you say what you say above is that government is the answer, and because he hasn't fixed it, the wrong government is in charge. So, you have to believe that government is the answer to believe accept your argument.

    Obama has only been in office a couple of years. few large problems can be fixed that quickly, if he could fix them at all. Best he can do is give some temporay relief, stimulus and extended benefits. the rest will be fixed by other factors, most beyond government control in our system. Tax cuts are a supply side solution to a demand problem.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Causal relationship fallacy. It's a common fallacy. What you're really arguing when you say what you say above is that government is the answer, and because he hasn't fixed it, the wrong government is in charge. So, you have to believe that government is the answer to believe accept your argument.

    Obama has only been in office a couple of years. few large problems can be fixed that quickly, if he could fix them at all. Best he can do is give some temporay relief, stimulus and extended benefits. the rest will be fixed by other factors, most beyond government control in our system. Tax cuts are a supply side solution to a demand problem.
    Obama has been in Congress since 2005 and Democrats have controlled Congress since 2007. You continue arguing the same tired points over and over again. First you claim that President's have no control over the economy then you claim he has only had two years to fix the problems. You are the one contradicting yourself.

    I posted actual revenue numbers which show income tax revenue growing after the tax cuts. You have yet to explain why? Since tax cuts apparently had no impact on revenue growth how then can tax cuts cause deficits?

  4. #214
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Obama has been in Congress since 2005 and Democrats have controlled Congress since 2007. You continue arguing the same tired points over and over again. First you claim that President's have no control over the economy then you claim he has only had two years to fix the problems. You are the one contradicting yourself.

    I posted actual revenue numbers which show income tax revenue growing after the tax cuts. You have yet to explain why? Since tax cuts apparently had no impact on revenue growth how then can tax cuts cause deficits?
    you're not listening. We've gone over this. try something new.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    you're not listening. We've gone over this. try something new.
    Yes, and you have yet to address the actual numbers. Explain why unemployment is up each month of 2010 vs. 2009, why economic growth has declined to 1.6%, and why the Democrat controlled Congress has not submitted a fiscal year 2011 budget? Then explain what is fiscally responsible about not using the repaid TARP funds or unused stimulus funds to lower the deficit?

  6. #216
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yes, and you have yet to address the actual numbers. Explain why unemployment is up each month of 2010 vs. 2009, why economic growth has declined to 1.6%, and why the Democrat controlled Congress has not submitted a fiscal year 2011 budget? Then explain what is fiscally responsible about not using the repaid TARP funds or unused stimulus funds to lower the deficit?
    But I have. Over history, the numbers show no evidence that taxes effect the economy or job growth. And I've explained repeatedly what is wrong with your use of the numbers you keep throwing up.

    you're just not listening, or reading I should say.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But I have. Over history, the numbers show no evidence that taxes effect the economy or job growth. And I've explained repeatedly what is wrong with your use of the numbers you keep throwing up.

    you're just not listening, or reading I should say.
    What you have ignored is the fact that jobs and income tax revenue grew AFTER cutting taxes. Why isn't the issue, the fact is it happened thus the Democrat argument and yours is nothing more than wrong! Tax rate cuts do not cause deficits, spending causes deficits and this Administration has put Bush spending on steroids and the results don't justify it.

  8. #218
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Barack Obama is President of the United States and economic conditions are worse today than when he took office. Raising taxes will not put people back to work.

    Bush proposed and signed TARP, TARP was mostly paid back after Obama took office, what did Obama do with the money. A fiscally responsible individual would have used it to pay down the deficit so what did he do with it. Same with the unspent stimulus money, where is that money today?
    The economic freefall stopped. How are we worse off?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What you have ignored is the fact that jobs and income tax revenue grew AFTER cutting taxes. Why isn't the issue, the fact is it happened thus the Democrat argument and yours is nothing more than wrong! Tax rate cuts do not cause deficits, spending causes deficits and this Administration has put Bush spending on steroids and the results don't justify it.
    I've ignored nothing and I keep trying to get you to investigate the causal raltaionship error fallacy. Yoiu keep making it and I suspect you will continue until you learn what the problem with your reasoning is.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #220
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stimulus Boosted Jobs in 2nd Quarter, CBO Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The economic freefall stopped. How are we worse off?
    I have posted the numbers, BLS shows 4 million more unemployed since Obama took office and unemployment higher each month of 2010 vs. 2009. Is that better?

    Obama had the benefits of TARP repayment yet the deficit in two years is 3 trillion dollars. Why wasn't the repaid TARP money used to pay down the deficit? Is that better results?

    Obama hasn't spent all the stimulus money so why hasn't he used that non payment to reduce the deficits, is that better?

    The recession ended in June 2009 according to NBER yet the second qtr of 2010 the GDP Growth was an annualized 1.6%. Is that better?

    Name for me one prediction that Obama has made that has been accurate?

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •